The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

It's lucky very good for the next phase, I'd say 1 or 2 wins from 4 will do it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Norf Tyrone

Oh dear............

Afghanistan 218-7 (50 overs) beat Ireland 196 (47.3 overs) by 22 runs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew White hit 56 in Ireland's defeat by Afghanistan 
Afghanistan pulled off a surprise 22-run win over Ireland at the start of the Super Eight phase of the World Cup Qualifier in South Africa.

Ireland, previously the only team with a 100% record, were bowled out for 186 chasing Afghanistan's total of 218-7.

Rais Ahmadzai scored an unbeaten 50 while Andrew White was the pick of Ireland's bowlers with 2-27.

White (56) and Kevin O'Brien (52) were Ireland's top scorers, while paceman Hamid Hassan took 5-23 for Afghanistan.

After Ireland lost early wickets, White and O'Brien came together with their side in trouble on 73-5 and shared a sixth-wicket partnership of 113.

606: DEBATE
Discuss Ireland's World Cup chances on 606 
But then a dramatic collapse saw the last five Irish wickets fall for just 10 runs as 21-year-old Hassan, who became the first Afghan cricketer to play at Lord's when he represented MCC in 2007, ran through the lower order.

Earlier, Asghar Stanikzai (47) and Mohammad Shehzad (46) had supported Ahmadzai well in the Afghan innings.

It was a welcome victory for Afghanistan, whose only two previous victories in the Qualifier had come against Bermuda and Denmark, who were eliminated after the first phase.

Points earned in the first phase against other teams who qualify for the Super Eights are carried through to the Super Eights.

Canada now lead the Super Eights table on net run-rate ahead of Ireland.

Norf Tyrone

The top 4 qualify for the World Cup!

P   W   L  Pts    NRR
Canada      4   3   1   6    1.77
Ireland     4   3   1   6    0.57     
Kenya       4   2   2   4    1.07
Netherlands 4   2   2   4    0.02
Scotland    4   2   2   4   -0.53
UAE         4   2   2   4   -1.15
Afghanistan 4   1   3   2   -0.63
Namibia     4   1   3   2   -0.96

Doogie Browser

Norf I see another Owen Roes man has been called up to the Ireland squad...

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 11, 2009, 11:36:26 PM
Norf I see another Owen Roes man has been called up to the Ireland squad...

I seen that alright. Technically he is a Newtown man but he plays his cricket in Leckpatrick parish. There is talk that we are going to scrap our redevelopment amd build a pavillion.

Gabriel_Hurl

Ireland beat the UAE handily today by 8 wickets all but guaranteeing their place in the 2011 World Cup

Main Street

Job well done.

What about Eoin Morgan? does he forsake another chance to appear at the forefront in a World Cup for some mediocrity with some third rate English team.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on April 13, 2009, 04:15:15 PM
Job well done.

What about Eoin Morgan? does he forsake another chance to appear at the forefront in a World Cup for some mediocrity with some third rate English team.

If he has any ambitions to play test cricket then getting noticed playing Twenty20 for England is a great opportunity.  With a lot of competition for places he can't really afford to turn the offer down.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Main Street

I would have thought representing your national team at the world cup was something precious.

It looks to me to be a perverted system that a country like England  can select the best of all players registered in their league, regardless of nationality, regardless of previous national representation and make it mandatory that they have to turn up and play for England if selected.
And that is regarded as normal procedure.

magpie seanie

stephenite

Main Street

He made a balls of his England career at the WC2007, managed a single run against Ireland.

If England are not selecting Ed Joyce anymore why can Ireland not pick him?
Is there another regulation in place, that once a foreign national is selected for England they are tied to England for life?

Chrisowc

Quote from: Main Street on April 14, 2009, 11:00:53 AM
I would have thought representing your national team at the world cup was something precious.

It looks to me to be a perverted system that a country like England can select the best of all players registered in their league, regardless of nationality, regardless of previous national representation and make it mandatory that they have to turn up and play for England if selected.
And that is regarded as normal procedure.

If Morgan has declared himself available for England having played in the county system for 5 years and therefore become resident, then he will have to make the most his opportunity if and when it comes along.  I would argue that in some ways it is a positive thing for Irish cricket if he can be successful at the top level of the game.

Main Street

I wouldn't know much about that argument Chris from a cricket perspective.

How about this declaration that a foreign born player must sign when coming to register with the English county cricket set up

Annex A
Declaration referred to in Regulation 2.1(c)

To the England and Wales Cricket Board

"I declare that it is not my desire or intention to play
cricket for any Full Member Country outside the
European Economic Area  .... etc etc"

We are fortunate that we have Sepp Blatter to oversee International eligibility rules in Soccer ;D

Chrisowc

Fortunate isn't the word I would use. ;)

I would imagine that declaration is something to do with being classed as an overseas player as they are limited in County Cricket.  It would be to Morgan's advantage not to be an overseas player.