The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

There were some lads from the Wesht there alright though. I saw a sign 'Shhhhtone mad for runs'. There was another 'Ground Hurling' :)

deiseach

I don't know what that lad is cheering, twas was the equivalent of being five points down with five minutes to go . . . oh.

laoislad

Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2015, 01:47:20 PM
Given the small numbers at the level we're talking about, a hurling comparison works better. Ireland beating the West Indies is like Waterford beating Tipperary, once undisputed masters of the game now trading on past glories but still capable of landing a knockout punch now and again. Ireland beating the UAE is like Waterford beating . . . ah. I'll stop there.
Offaly? Ok I've got it now...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

An Watcher

Been to a few cricket finals in the north west in my time. Although I never played the game it was some craic sitting in the Sun (sometimes) for 7-8 hours with a few beers. The cricket was almost secondary

David McKeown

Lucky enough win today. In terms of batting line ups Ireland are nearly the match of anyone in the competitions. The bowling particularly at the death is the Achilles heal. UAE set a number of records today. Most runs in the last 15 overs in a world cup match and highest 7th wicket stand ever in a odi. Improvements need to be made there
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

Lads, what is the significance of a leg bye? I know a wide is basically an extra run and an extra delivery in the over, but a leg bye just seems to count as if the buck hit it. What's the significance?

deiseach

A leg bye is treated as a run and the ball bowled counts, unlike a wide or a no ball. It isn't given as a run to the batter though so doesn't count towards their score.

AZOffaly

Ok. I was wondering why they bothered making the distinction given that it didn't give an extra ball in the over.

michaelg

Quote from: deiseach on February 25, 2015, 09:51:20 PM
A leg bye is treated as a run and the ball bowled counts, unlike a wide or a no ball. It isn't given as a run to the batter though so doesn't count towards their score.
Batsman has to be playing a shot, however, for a leg bye to be awarded.  If they run and no shot has been offered, it's a dead ball and the batsman who has just faced the ball is back on strike for the next ball.

Gabriel_Hurl

yeah - if it hits a batter anywhere else but the bat whilst playing a shot and there's a run - it's a leg bye

there are byes as well - and that's when the batter doesn't hit it either e.g. if a bouncer is bowled and the batsman doesn't hit it and the wicket keeper misses it - the runs scored here are byes

magpie seanie

West Indies net run rate getting a bit of a battering. Good news for us.

deiseach

South Africa's scoring in the last 14 overs: 10, 8, 18, 12, 16, 18, 11, 11, 6, 13, 13, 11, 7, 34, 14, 30. AB de Villiers racked up a half century in the last three overs. Carnage.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: deiseach on February 27, 2015, 09:51:17 AM
South Africa's scoring in the last 14 overs: 10, 8, 18, 12, 16, 18, 11, 11, 6, 13, 13, 11, 7, 34, 14, 30. AB de Villiers racked up a half century in the last three overs. Carnage.
He could make absolute hay with our bowling.

deiseach

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 27, 2015, 11:01:21 AM
Quote from: deiseach on February 27, 2015, 09:51:17 AM
He could make absolute hay with our bowling.

AB de Villier's numbers in ODIs:

I think you might be right.