The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 16, 2015, 08:40:45 PM
Ah, so a game can't last indefinitely? What if a batter stays in for a really long time? Can a batter theoretically stay in for a whole game?

Yes. He can get no runs as well, but he would be unlikely to be picked again.
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Has anyone gone into the terminology yet for Eammonca like bowling yorkers or googlies, out for a duck etc etc?  I actually have always watched cricket but I would not class myself as a fan.  I used to love during the early summer weeks post school to watch the Queens Tennis tournament, Wimbeldon, and then whatever test matches were on.  I know people find it boring but i really used to enjoy the battles between the Windies and England in the mid 80's, particularly when Ambrose Walsh and Marshall were at their bowling peak.  The funny thing too was that we played cricket quite a lot,  even in Cross, and all my friends had a cricket set come summer and if we weren't using it for cricket then the stumps became bases for rounders.  It's mad that for all our republican upbringing we played so many real English games, and thought nothing of it.

Denn Forever

Isn't Martin McGuinness a big fan?

Saw the highlights last night on ITV4.  West indies a pale shadow of their former self.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 17, 2015, 09:53:11 AM
Has anyone gone into the terminology yet for Eammonca like bowling yorkers or googlies, out for a duck etc etc?  I actually have always watched cricket but I would not class myself as a fan.  I used to love during the early summer weeks post school to watch the Queens Tennis tournament, Wimbeldon, and then whatever test matches were on.  I know people find it boring but i really used to enjoy the battles between the Windies and England in the mid 80's, particularly when Ambrose Walsh and Marshall were at their bowling peak.  The funny thing too was that we played cricket quite a lot,  even in Cross, and all my friends had a cricket set come summer and if we weren't using it for cricket then the stumps became bases for rounders.  It's mad that for all our republican upbringing we played so many real English games, and thought nothing of it.

Exactly the same as my summers albeit south of the border. Great days!

deiseach

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 16, 2015, 08:21:14 PM
What's an over? Is that every time a ball is bowled?

The pitch is the strip between the two sets of stumps. There is a batsman at each set of stumps (each 'end') and the bowler will bowl six balls at the one of those batsmen. At the end of each set of six, the bowler switches 'over' to bowl from the other end. This can be significant as the pitch isn't uniform, and gets less uniform as players stomp all over it through the game, so the ball can do funny things depending on where it lands. Another factor is the quality of the two batsmen. A good batsman may find himself carrying on while his teammates are falling like skittles. The team bowling will want to bowl to the inferior batsman so you might see some hi-jinks on the last ball of each over as the good batsman tries to run an odd number of runs to ensure he is still the one being bowled at when the bowling switches 'over'.

Explaining cricket always involves loads of inverted commas.

deiseach

Admit it, you used enjoy watching the subjugated peoples making their imperial overlords grovel - literally, in the case of Tony Greig. How times change.

deiseach

My favourite piece of cricket jargon is the duck. Not only because it makes no sense in itself, but it only scratches the surface of the lunacy.

Out without scoring a run - duck.
Out first ball - golden duck.
Out in both innings of the Test without scoring a run (two ducks) - pair.
Out first ball in both innings (two golden ducks) - king pair.

:o

Dirty Togs Power

Or out without facing a ball - a diamond duck.
Happened to one of the WI fellas - run out backing up.

deiseach

Quote from: Dirty Togs Power on February 17, 2015, 11:01:06 AM
Or out without facing a ball - a diamond duck.
Happened to one of the WI fellas - run out backing up.

Brilliant.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on February 17, 2015, 10:45:55 AM

Admit it, you used enjoy watching the subjugated peoples making their imperial overlords grovel - literally, in the case of Tony Greig. How times change.

A small bit of this alright!!!  The other thing too is that the Head Groundsman at Lord's (it's his real name and not a Bart Simpson prank call!!!) is actually related through marriage to a big family from Cross and may actually in a side door be related to me!!!  Never availed of the connection but I know that he sorts people our the odd time.

theskull1

Oh er  ;D

What was that famous bit of Finbarr Saunders commentary again from years ago?

His surname's not "Holding" by any chance?  :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

Our founding father, Jebediah Cusack, wanted Cricket to be part of the GAA.

Those Cross Cricketers know their history! 
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Highlights on ITV. England playing like a pub team. Brutal stuff.

magpie seanie

Windies hammered Pakistan. Similar batting innings to against us but skittled Pakistan out early. Encouraging.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.