The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Is this the first Test match Ireland will have ever played?  I hope we get the wewather.

Ireland v Australia A

4 day Friendly International
14th June -17th JuneFriday -Monday•

Stormont, NCU
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 15, 2013, 11:34:09 AM
Is this the first Test match Ireland will have ever played?  I hope we get the wewather.

Ireland v Australia A

Stormont, NCU

Are ye going?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 15, 2013, 11:34:09 AM

Ireland v Australia A

Stormont, NCU

Test matches are 5 days.

Ireland were been playing in a 4 day game in the ICC Intercontinetal Cup today. It ended in a draw. We won 3 and drew 1 of the other matches.  Think it is a competition that goes on over a long period of time - next game in July it seems.

deiseach

A 4 day contest would presumably count as a first class game. Seems a bit gimmicky to me.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2013, 04:17:31 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 10, 2013, 02:14:08 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23244143

Back in the World Cup

Good job, even without the blackard who prefers to play for the motherland
Is that the same "blackard" who represented Ireland at every level over the last 15 years from the age of 13?  He is a professional sportsman, who as a fast bowler, has a limited playing career.  As such, after 15 years of service to Ireland, would you not not say he is entitled to try to earn a few kid by seeking to play for England?  In addition, as there is little prospect of Ireland playing Test cricket in the near futyre, I'd say he's also perfectly entitled to try to test himself at the highest level of the game.

Aaron Boone

Graham Onions got the squad call instead of our Boyd Rankin.

Boyd should still make one of the Tests this summer and maybe the return in the winter.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: michaelg on July 10, 2013, 07:57:19 PM

Back in the World Cup

Is that the same "blackard" who represented Ireland at every level over the last 15 years from the age of 13?  He is a professional sportsman, who as a fast bowler, has a limited playing career.  As such, after 15 years of service to Ireland, would you not not say he is entitled to try to earn a few kid by seeking to play for England?  In addition, as there is little prospect of Ireland playing Test cricket in the near futyre, I'd say he's also perfectly entitled to try to test himself at the highest level of the game.

I don't blame any man for seeking to get to the top of his profession, the England situation is different to most international team sports, they are like a pro/franchise type club side that play internationals. But the Boyd Rankin situation just looks a bit silly in my eyes, their depth of fast bowlers seems to be the envy of most teams (today no Onions or Bresnan on the squad), plus he has just turned 30.  Although he must have been advised of an opportunity, and I dont know if he has a central contract, it just looks like a move of desperation.

Orior

Back in the World Cup

Did you see how I deliberately misspelt blaggard so as to avoid any libel?

Anyway, would you extend your arguement to urge Giggs and Bale to play for England? Afterall, Wales will never reach any championship finals.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on July 10, 2013, 10:47:32 PM

Back in the World Cup

Did you see how I deliberately misspelt blaggard so as to avoid any libel?

Anyway, would you extend your arguement to urge Giggs and Bale to play for England? Afterall, Wales will never reach any championship finals.
Not the same - Wales still have the opportunity to play at the highest level.  As things stand, the Ireland cricket team does not (i.e. Test cricket before you start talking about T20 and 50 over world competitions)

AQMP

Incredible stuff at Trent Bridge this morning!

deiseach

Quote from: AQMP on July 11, 2013, 01:47:56 PM
Incredible stuff at Trent Bridge this morning!

No kidding. It's like a corner-back on his Championship debut rattling in a hat-trick of goals.

magpie seanie

Been a crazy test match so far. Would love to be seeing this stuff live. Aussies must have picked Agar for his batting - who knew?!!!

AQMP

Agar now 86 not out.  12 fours and 2 sixes off 82 balls.  Amazing.  Highest ever Test score by a no. 11 is 95 by Tino Best of the West Indies.