McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

The Ulster Council have called an emergency meeting to decide what (if any) penalty to impose on Tyrone.

youbetterbelieveit

surely tyrone will have to be kicked out of the competition, rules are rules!!

Maximus Marillius

Are they rules or guidlines or agreements between the the groups. Ulster council need to be careful here, there role is certainly not to protect or look after the interest of thrid level universities.

Orior

It was interesting to see how Harte had his young prey come on to the telly last week and back up his argument. I still think he needs taken down a peg or three for his actions.

And then he'll withdraw and go after the O'Byrne Cup  :D
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6263549.stm

QuoteTyrone's game with Cavan this weekend in the McKenna Cup is on hold pending the outcome of an emergency Ulster Council meeting on Tuesday night.
The meeting will determine what, if any, punishment to hand down to Tyrone after they played four university students in Sunday's win over Derry.

Under the competition rules university teams have first preference on players who are also eligible for their county.

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte said the players opted to play for the county.

"The players made that decision. They were asked where did they wanted to go, and they chose Tyrone," said Harte.

However, under the McKenna Cup rules, as determined by the provincial council, Damian McCaul, Colm Cavanagh, Brendan Boggs (all UUJ) and Cathal McCarron (St Mary's) should have declared for their respective colleges.

"The Ulster Council position is that they have broken the regulations, and we'll have to see what to do," said Ulster Council chairman Micheal Greenan.

"It's not a matter for me, it's a matter for the council to deal with, and the council will deal with it."

One option is that the defending champions will be docked points for their controversial stance.

Tyrone are due to meet Cavan in the final and decisive Group B tie under lights at Breffni Park, with the winners going through to the semi-finals.

Shoite
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 15, 2007, 10:56:55 AM
QuoteI see in the Irish News Eamon O'Hara has a B Boggs coming on as substitute for UUJ against Down. Anybody know what club/county he plays for?

Aye? Surely you jest?

Brendan Boggs of Owen Roes and Tyrone fame who played 70 minutes at wing-half in Omagh yesterday.

The same Irish News report also has D McCaul coming on as a sub for UUJ and scoring a point!

never kickt a ball

Refreshing victory for Tyrone
15 January 2007
Tyrone continued their team-building ahead of the NFL when on Sunday last at Healy Park, Omagh they easily defeated near neighbours, Derry in the second round of the McKenna Cup on a scoreline of 1-15 to 0-9.
The home side containing only four players from year's championship side were far too good for a visiting Derry side who included in their ranks six of their championship side of last season.
In a game that was played at a fast and competitive pace, the home side were clearly the masters and at the break they had the game already tied up leading by 1-11 to 0-3 – an 11 points lead.
Derry, as expected made a better fist of matters in the second-half without really troubling a Tyrone side full of flair and invention, with every player in the side out to impress the management ahead of the new season.
The selection of four university players in the home side attracted plenty of pre-match attention. It showed why Manager Harte wanted to have a good look at them in action and why they feel they can make the Red Hand panel this season.
On this performance the Tyrone management will have some headaches before he picks his squad for the forthcoming NFL campaign. However, he should get a better idea of the real potential of these youngsters when they travel to Kingspan/Breffni Park in Cavan next week-end for their third round meeting with the unbeaten Breffni side in the competition.
Derry at the present time are in something of a disarray. They have now suffered two heavy defeats on the trot against Cavan at home in Celtic Park and on Sunday in Omagh against Tyrone. Hardly the best way to start the new competitive season for Paddy Crozier and his Derry squad. The new players he has introduced into the squad by and large have failed to make a major impact, and you could say they have some problems already and the season only starting. As the saying goes it can only get better for the Oak Leaf side, and the return of many of their experienced players in the coming weeks will see a much stronger and better focussed Derry side for the start of the NFL.
Once again as was the case in the Cavan defeat there is too much reliance on Paddy Bradley for scores, but another worry has to be the number of scores they have conceded over the two games played.

Tyrone – Paschal McConnell; D. McCaul, C. McGinley, P. Marlow; Davy Harte 0-1, D. Carlin 0-1, B. Boggs; M. Murphy 0-3, Sean Cavanagh; Tommy McGuigan 0-2, Owen Mulligan 0-1, C. Cavanagh 0-1; C. McCarron 1-3, 0-3 from frees, P. Rouse 0-1 0-1, D. McDermott 0-2.
Subs – Ryan Mellon for Sean Cavanagh; E. McGinley for M. Murphy; N. Gormley for McDermott; Martin Penrose for Davy Harte.

Derry – S. O'Kane; K. McGuckin, K. McCann, J. Keenan; A. McAlynn, Fergal Doherty, Liam Hinphey; Patsy Bradley, J. Conway; R. McElhone 0-1, C. Gilligan 0-1, C. Moran; A.. McCartney, Paddy Bradley 0-5, 2 frees, Eoin Bradley 0-2.
Subs – Kevin McCloy for Hinphey; P. O'Hea for McAlynn; J. Kelly for Moran and Paul Bradley for A. McCartney.

Referee – Brian Crowe from Cavan.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=71130

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ClosetotheHarte on January 15, 2007, 04:26:08 PM
QuoteI see in the Irish News Eamon O'Hara has a B Boggs coming on as substitute for UUJ against Down. Anybody know what club/county he plays for?
Aye? Surely you jest?
Brendan Boggs of Owen Roes and Tyrone fame who played 70 minutes at wing-half in Omagh yesterday.
The same Irish News report also has D McCaul coming on as a sub for UUJ and scoring a point. It's funny that Colm

Hogan Stand have it too and McCaul scored a point. Must be some player.  Must be the same report.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=71109

Down side have no answer to rampant UUJ side
15 January 2007

Down's hopes of figuring in the knock-out stages of this season's Dr. McKenna Cup ended at the Burren venue on Sunday, 14th of January when they were outplayed in the second-half by a rampant UUJ side who went on to win the game on a scoreline of 1-19 to 1-6.
The home side started the game impressively enough and after six minutes play they led by 0-3 to 0-1. Slowly by surely the UUJ side worked themselves into the game and playing some excellent football they were good value for their 0-7 to 0-5 lead at the break.
The students continued to force the pace in the third quarter of the game, and by the 42nd minute they were seven points in front and clearly in command. Despite the best efforts of an inexperienced home side they just couldn't get back into contention, and they scored six further points from the 56th minute for a facile victory in the end.
It was the first time Jordanstown were drawn to play a Down side in the Dr. McKenna Cup. This win gave them a timely boost ahead of the Sigerson Cup finals which will be held in Belfast this coming March.
Their coach, and former Derry star, Adrian McGuckian was delighted with the win and the attitude of his charges in this game. "We played some very exciting football, and it was a great team performance. The players are starting to believe in themselves, and a win like this will do wonders for confidence as their preparations for the Sigersons Cup continues apace.However, he also added that they were up against a weakened Down side on this occasion, and can expect much tougher games in the weeks ahead in Sigerson Cup fare.''
As for Ross Carr and his Down management it was not all gloom and doom. Six players from Down started for UUJ and there was a broad canvas of prospects for Ross Carr to look at. While on this occasion he was concentrating on those wearing the 'red and black', the players who made good impressions yesterday were all wearing the Jordanstown blue, including 'man of the match' John Boyle, who captained the winning side and scored three points into the bargain.

Down – Mickey McVeigh; D. Rooney, S. Toner, P. Matthews; C. McCrickard, J. Doran, C. Murtagh 0-1; A. Carville 0-2, Gareth Johnston; K. Gracey, N. Sweeney, B. Doran; C. Gribben 1-2, B. Sweeney, Daniel Hughes 0-1.
Subs – E. Henry for J. Doran; K. McGuigan for McCrickard; P. Telford for Carville; J. Lynch for Johnson; A. Burns for Sweeney.

UUJ – M. McAllister; P. Mooney, J. Conlon, S. O'Hagan; R. Murray 0-1, E. McConville, S. McAleer; John Colgan 0-1, J. Bradley; Martin Lynch 1-5, three frees and one '45', John Boyle capt. 0-3, R. Mulgrew 0-1; M. Herron, P. Downey 0-3, B. O'Brien 0-2, one free.
Subs – D. McCaul 0-1 for O'Brien; K. Dyas 0-2 for O'Hagan; B. Boggs for McAleer.

Referee – Gregory Walsh from Antrim.

ClosetotheHarte

Aye? Surely you jest?

The same Irish News report also has 'D McCaul' coming on as a sub for UUJ and scoring a point, at the same time as Damian McCaul was playing for Tyrone at Healy Park. It's funny that Colm Cavanagh wasn't playing for them too! Was he just not able to be in two places at the one time?
I take it the UUJ match WAS on at the same time as the Tyrone match!

aontroim abu

harte is only trying to see how far he can push the Ulster Council without getting his ego, sorry knuckles, rapped. IMO they should throw the book at either the players or the county board, they all knew the rules at the start of the competition regarding declaring for county or uni.

reddgnhand

Quote from: aontroim abu on January 15, 2007, 04:46:32 PM
harte is only trying to see how far he can push the Ulster Council without getting his ego, sorry knuckles, rapped. IMO they should throw the book at either the players or the county board, they all knew the rules at the start of the competition regarding declaring for county or uni.

Throw the book at them, for what? Are you trying to tell us that players are not allowed to choose what team they line out for? I think the Ulster council are digging a big hole for themselves. They dont have the power to tell a player what team he plays for.

corn02

O'Neill your blatant biased attitude on this subject is laughable.

ONeill

It is isn't it. I'm laughing. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

corn02

I am glad, for a moment I thought you were serious with your argument.

ONeill

Couldn't be more serious. Laughing at some from a certain county wetting themselves with excitement.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.