Question on the 12th of July

Started by Tankie, July 12, 2007, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

Hey lads, i aint to sure what really goes on at this bonfires except from what i've read and that has always gone on about Unionist History and stuff. I am also aware that alot of their marching is to celebrate victories in war. but my issue is that i have just been looking at pictures of these bonfires and they appear to have the Irish Flag on them to be burned, what the f**k does that have to do with Unionist history?

But if thats the way the OO feel about the republic they may f**k off about their prod march through Dublin which hadnt bothered me until this!
Grand Slam Saturday!

nifan

Burning the tricolour is a disgusting, petty act.
Its relevance to history is limited, but id say people in some of these areas wrongly see it as associated with the IRA and militant republicanism through its use by these rganisations.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tankie on July 12, 2007, 10:04:10 AM
Hey lads, i aint to sure what really goes on at this bonfires except from what i've read and that has always gone on about Unionist History and stuff. I am also aware that alot of their marching is to celebrate victories in war. but my issue is that i have just been looking at pictures of these bonfires and they appear to have the Irish Flag on them to be burned, what the f**k does that have to do with Unionist history?

The problem is that for the vast majority of these pond-life, history is the very last thing they know about. 1690 was not a very significant battle in the overall historical context of things -- the Battle of Aughrim of 1691 was of much more importance, as it finally put an end to James II's designs and led to the Flight of the Wild Geese, etc.; it did not take place on the 12th July -- there was a mix-up between the Gregorian and Julian calendars; the contemporary Pope, Pope Innocent XI, who was afraid of the power James II was wielding and of his growing influence amongst Catholics, was actually a supporter of King Billy, and so happy was he that the Te Deum was sung in the Vatican (and in other Catholic churches) when word reached him of James's vanquishment. 

I'm sure the loyal low-life would be thrilled to hear that they're celebrating a victory of Billy and the Pope over James.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

Just as a matter of interest, does the "flags and emblems" legislation deal with the burning of flags as well as their display? And what does it say about "emblems" like "KAT"? Surely signs like this are illegal? Or do they get away with it because it's intentionally ambiguous - i.e. they could claim it means "Kerry Are Tops" or something? Just wondering how it's seen "up there".

TacadoirArdMhacha

Don't know for certain Hardy but I'm sure, if given the chance, it'd be a penalty kick for "incitement to hatred". I'm not sure of the current legal status of flags and emblems but I dont think the disaplay of any flag on private property is illegal anymore but I'm open to correction.

The KAT thing really an appeal to the bastest of human instincts and its far from an uncommon sight scrawed on Belfast walls. Sad to say, the same elements on the other side of the fence have also taken to scrawling KAH in certain places.

Must check the DOE website to see how often our new Minister to the Environment objected to the carbon emmission nightmare that must be a 11th night bonfire. Funny the way the BBC don't give these live coverage.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magickingdom

great start to the marketing of orangefest! if you put a union flag on top of a bonfire in the republic you'd be arrested. the psni should wake the fcuk up, or maybe they have decided not to intervene because of fears for public order. one way or another a significant no. of shitheads still rule the roast at these fires. wonder will gweyltah condemn these muppets...

Tyrone Dreamer

A lot of people down south sem very keen to have the parade in Dublin. I know its not run by the orange order but its more or less the same bands etc. Maybe they could come down the night before (couldnt even have a 12th celebration) and let you appreciate the whole event by having the bonfire with the tricolour on top.

Star Spangler

What's worse is knowing that they can burn 30 tonnes of pallets in the middle of a built up area and nobody says anything while if I burn a cardboard box in my back garden in the middle of the country I'll get fined.  :-X

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2007, 12:06:20 PM
Just as a matter of interest, does the "flags and emblems" legislation deal with the burning of flags as well as their display? And what does it say about "emblems" like "KAT"? Surely signs like this are illegal? Or do they get away with it because it's intentionally ambiguous - i.e. they could claim it means "Kerry Are Tops" or something? Just wondering how it's seen "up there".

Classic! I must ask the local hoods where I live if it means Kerry or Kilkenny are Tops.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

magpie seanie

QuoteI must ask the local hoods where I live if it means Kerry or Kilkenny are Tops.

It must be "Kilkenny are Tops" cos it weaves in nicely with Kilkenny being the cats (KATS). Clever bucks these bonfire lighters.

Balboa

Whilst watching the coverage of "The Twelfth" last night, (dont ask me why i watched it) there was a fella in Kilkeel said they wanted to bring "a family atmposphere" back to proceedings while standing round a bonfire on the beach, he said there had been too much drink involved and too many bad elements at previous bonfires, in the background you could see the tricolour at the top of the bonfire, maybe they will sort that out for their "cultural event" next year.

An Fear Rua

why do the churches fly the union flag for the 12th?
Its Grim up North

GweylTah

What flag?  What churches?  Grouse-shooting fans?

;)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: GweylTah on July 16, 2007, 10:22:16 PM
What flag?  What churches?  Grouse-shooting fans?

;)

A couple I can mention would be the church in Loughbrickland, one in Comber and one in Carryduff.
Just three I seen on the twelfth
Tbc....

Rossfan

Quote from: GweylTah on July 16, 2007, 10:22:16 PM
  What churches? 

Protestant ones I presume ( then again His Holiness says they arent real churches....) :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM