The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Capt Pat

Never a penalty despite what the two lads on match of the day are saying. They are wrong. It was a dive. Lovren had the situation under control. The referee was fooled by the dive.

Milltown Row2

Look these things have a way of working out over the season.. some you get some you don't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

outinfront

Instead of moaning about it not being a penalty it would be better to get lovren to sort himself out. What a daft move putting his hand on the lad's back. If that's a Gaelic match it's a free in all day long too. not that I have any complaints as we stole a point!

laoislad

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 10, 2017, 11:13:02 PM
Never a penalty despite what the two lads on match of the day are saying. They are wrong. It was a dive. Lovren had the situation under control. The referee was fooled by the dive.
I disagree. I think it was a clear penalty.  I would have been annoyed if it wasn't given to Liverpool if the situation was reversed.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Armamike

It was enough for a penalty. Sometimes they're not given but the ref was entitled to give that. There's a bad mistake in Lovren in too many games.  His decision making isn't good enough.  Klopp's meltdown was bad.  He made some poor calls before,during and after the match.  He keeps picking the likes of Lovren, Moreno etc who keep letting him down.  Everton will have smiles on their faces for weeks after this one.  Dick Turpin wouldn't have a look in.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Maroon Manc

Never a pen, an appalling decision and I'm amazed so many ex players think it was a pen. It doesn't say in the rules you can't touch an opponent, Lovren had his hands on him but didn't push or shove him.

Minder

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 11, 2017, 10:28:32 AM
Never a pen, an appalling decision and I'm amazed so many ex players think it was a pen. It doesn't say in the rules you can't touch an opponent, Lovren had his hands on him but didn't push or shove him.

Yeah it's like when you hear people saying "there was contact", contact doesent mean you fall over or throw yourself to the ground
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Minder on December 11, 2017, 10:43:55 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 11, 2017, 10:28:32 AM

Yeah it's like when you hear people saying "there was contact", contact doesent mean you fall over or throw yourself to the ground

Its infuriating, since when did contact enter the rules of the game.

Esmarelda

The referee and linesman were about 40-50 metres away. They see hands being raised,  placed on a blue shirt and the Everton player hitting the ground. They weren't close enough to even make a guess as to the strength of the push. What are they supposed to do? If I was the ref I'd ask myself "why is that defender putting his hands on the Everton player?" and I'd feel entitled to give the penalty.

Boycey

I'm in the not a penalty camp too. It's funny a defender can get a forward in a wrestling hold at a corner and throw him to the ground and not concede a penalty but in open play what Lovren did is considered a penalty..

AZOffaly

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 11, 2017, 11:00:06 AM
The referee and linesman were about 40-50 metres away. They see hands being raised,  placed on a blue shirt and the Everton player hitting the ground. They weren't close enough to even make a guess as to the strength of the push. What are they supposed to do? If I was the ref I'd ask myself "why is that defender putting his hands on the Everton player?" and I'd feel entitled to give the penalty.

Well I have a problem with that. You can't give what you guess. You have to know. They must have been sure in their own minds that it was a push, otherwise you can't give it.

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 11, 2017, 11:02:00 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 11, 2017, 11:00:06 AM

Well I have a problem with that. You can't give what you guess. You have to know. They must have been sure in their own minds that it was a push, otherwise you can't give it.
But how can you be sure? All he's sure of is that hands were placed on the Everton player. Even if he was closer he'd still be guessing. Didn't Henderson do something similar against Brighton for their penalty last week. The ref sees the hands, sees the opposition player move as if he was pushed and has to make a call. If they weren't given then every defender could push in every instance. Don't put your hands on the back of a player. Why would you ever do that unless you wanted to push him?

AZOffaly

Well to push someone, you have to extend your arms. Try and push something without extending your arms? If he saw that, then he gives a penalty. If he didn't then he's just guessing.

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 11, 2017, 11:08:39 AM
Well to push someone, you have to extend your arms. Try and push something without extending your arms? If he saw that, then he gives a penalty. If he didn't then he's just guessing.
How far do you have to extend your arms?

Walk up behind someone with the backs of  your hands on  your chest, you barely have to bend your arms to make a pushing movement.

You're right, he's guessing. In my opinion, Lovren gave him enough reason to make the call. And, as it happens, I think it was a correct call.