Noel Gallagher Quits Oasis

Started by el_cuervo_fc, August 28, 2009, 11:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8228053.stm

Noel Gallagher has announced he is quitting rock band Oasis because he can no longer work with his brother Liam.

Noel, the founding member of the band, made the statement on the band's website. He said a series of rows with his brother led to the decision.

The guitarist said: "It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight.

"People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan," he added.

'Gutted'

Earlier it was announced the band had cancelled their second gig in the space of a week because of "an altercation within the band".

They had been expected to play the Rock en Seine festival in Paris, but fans at the concert were told by the support band that Oasis would not be performing.

Many of the crowd thought it was a joke - until screens at either side of the stage showed the message "as a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been cancelled".

Oasis fans used Twitter to respond to the news that lead guitarist Noel had quit the band.

'Worst day ever'

PsychedelicAdam posted: "Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis? Gutted, no more Oasis then I guess, they were one of my favourite bands."

Wolvolass said: "I feel sick, sooo many good memories and gigs seeing Oasis over the years."

MattGriffin added: "This is the worst day ever."

On Sunday the band had also cancelled their headline slot at the V Festival in Essex after Liam was diagnosed with viral laryngitis.

They performed in Stafford on Saturday but the singer was advised by doctors not to perform again.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Oasis should have pulled the plug after album two anyway. One-trick ponies ultimately, despite their first album being a cracker.

Not sorry to see Liam get a comeuppance (of sorts). Always thought he was all mouth and no talent.

Tony Baloney

What are they trying to raise publicity for? New single, new album?

Diet Coke

Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

The Watcher Pat

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Shamrock Shore

It's the Meath and Mayo blood.

Unreconcilable.

fingerbob

The band of a generation, totally gutted they're finished although while at slane I turned round to my mate and said 'have a feelin this will be the last time I see them'.

Too many people latch onto the whole 'they only have two good albums' thing. They were two unbelievable albums but they have still churned out great tunes since then. Even their b-sides are amazing, just listen to the masterplan album. I don't think anyone has topped definitely maybe so can't really blame oasis for not beating the high standards they set themselves. Will be sorely missed, but no doubt Noel will start a solo career.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

muppet

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 29, 2009, 10:10:00 AM

Unreconcilable.

Imagine that dilemma pumping though your veins.

BTW what is the story with lazy hacks adding Twitter comments to their articles:

PsychedelicAdam posted: "Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis? Gutted, no more Oasis then I guess, they were one of my favourite bands."

Eastern Pride posted: Unbelevabl, but dey haven't been de same since Ringo left. I heard las nite dat usain Bolt might replace him...

MWWSI 2017

J70

I loved their sound, but their tunes where a bit dull much of the time, when not ripped off from someone else and it all got a bit repetitive in the end. Even Some Might Say, one of their best songs IMO, is the same melody as I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing, while I can never listen to Live Forever without thinking of Suzanne Vega. They did have a few excellent songs though.

AFS

Quote from: muppet on August 29, 2009, 05:02:22 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 29, 2009, 10:10:00 AM

Unreconcilable.

Imagine that dilemma pumping though your veins.

BTW what is the story with lazy hacks adding Twitter comments to their articles:

Eastern Pride posted: Unbelevabl, but dey haven't been de same since Ringo left. I heard las nite dat usain Bolt might replace him...

;D ;D ;D

Jimmy

From bbc.co.uk/news

Noel Gallagher has said intolerable "violent and verbal intimidation" and a "lack of support" from management and bandmates forced him to quit Oasis.

In a statement, on his blog at Oasisinet.com, he said: "The details are not important and of too great a number to list."

He went on to thank fans after his decision to leave Oasis brought an "amazing" 18 years to an end.

Noel left after relations with brother and bandmate Liam hit an all-time low.

Glorious memories

The guitarist said: "I feel you have the right to know that the level of verbal and violent intimidation towards me, my family, friends and comrades has become intolerable.

"And the lack of support and understanding from my management and bandmates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new."

He went on to say the rock group's success had been a "dream come true", adding: "I take with me glorious memories."

He also apologised to fans in Paris who were disappointed when Oasis cancelled following a bust-up on Friday.

"Apologies are probably not enough, I know, but I'm afraid it's all I've got," he wrote.

He also said sorry to fans who hoped to see them at the V Festival in Essex last weekend.

"Again, I can only apologise - although I don't know why, it was nothing to do with me. I was match fit and ready to be brilliant. Alas, other people in the group weren't up to it," he said.

"Now, if you'll excuse me I have a family and a football team to indulge," he concluded.

Noel earlier explained that he "simply could not go on" working with his brother and bandmate Liam for another day.

You can't control Oasis - they do what they want to do - that's the beauty and the skill of the band

Alan McGee

Oasis's history of troubles and triumphs
Your memories of Oasis 
The group's spokeswoman said Liam and the other remaining band members would consider whether to carry on without Noel, the chief songwriter and lead guitarist.

She said: "I expect in the next couple of days a decision will be made as to how to continue or if they continue."

Alan McGee, who discovered Oasis and signed the band to his Creation Records label, said Noel's departure was "a sad day for music".

The rift was "more serious than anything that's ever happened" between the brothers, he said.

"It's obviously the worst fall-out that they've ever had, and they've had some pretty bad ones," he told BBC News.

"But they love each other - they'll come back together," he predicted.

"I think you'll have a reunion tour in about five years time. They love each other. When people love each other, they'll always make peace."

Mr McGee said Noel no longer felt any obligation to stay in the band, which reflects a wider shift in society, he believes.

"Whether you're an electrician or a rock 'n' roll star, you can only do and be who you want to be," he said.

Fans give their views on Noel's decision to leave the band Oasis
"He is the same as everybody else - he didn't want to do it any more and he stopped. People don't do anything now that they don't want to do."

The former label boss recalled that he spoke to Liam two weeks ago. "He was great. We spoke about Noel and I said 'do you love him', and he agreed that he loved him."

The pair will now make solo albums, he predicted, before reconciling.

Mr McGee compared Noel's songwriting to that of Neil Young, Bob Dylan and John Lennon, describing him as "as good as the people that he admires".

But the brothers were difficult characters, he said. "You can't control Oasis - they do what they want to do. That's the beauty and the skill of the band."

The brothers have always had a fractious relationship, and a string of tours have fallen apart over the past 15 years.

But until now, neither Gallagher has officially quit the group.

Some Oasis fans at the Reading Festival, which is currently taking place, were not surprised to hear of the band's break-up.

'Disappointing'

Lorraine Hoodless, 30, from Wimbledon, south London, described herself as a "disillusioned Oasis fan".

"It's not come as a big shock," she said. "Maybe Noel would do better on his own anyway as he's the one behind the music.

Ben Coburn, 25, of Harrow, north London, said: "It's disappointing but it was always on the cards because they don't get on."

Al Smith, 23, from Hampshire, said: "I was just about crying when I found out. One of the best ever gigs I've ever seen was Oasis back in 2004. There's no one else like them."

I was a big fan of the band but thought this has been coming. While they have never been the best of friends they seemed to be really not getting along lately. Undoubtdly the first 2 albums will be remembered, and for me the Masterplan B-side album is fantastic, their other albums never reached the same heights. Although I do have some favourite tracks on each of the remaining albums with the last 2 albums being the best of the remining bunch in my opinion. I think Noel will do an album of his own with Gem probably playing along with him. He possibly has it written already. What Liam will do I haven't a clue? He'll do guest vocals here and there but I can't see him having a solo career. Oasis will be back at some point. As they are brotheres they will have to interact with each other at some point. It could be 5 or 6 years before we see them together again though. Glad I saw them at Slane this year.

gerry

and this sh*t made the bbc evening news tonight, must have being a slow day for news
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

rolloutking

QuotePosted by: gerry
Insert Quote
and this sh*t made the bbc evening news tonight, must have being a slow day for news

What makes it shit?