Tyrone training for the future

Started by Hereiam, October 20, 2008, 02:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caraghtyrone

Firstly apologies if the point I'm about to raise has been discussed previously, because I haven't read all the posts!

Firstly I would like to ask the County Board why they feel we need this 6 million (rumoured to be actually more possibly 8 million!) considering that we have won the Sam Maguire 3 times in the last 6 years whilst training on Division 3 facilities?  I don't mean any disrespect to the clubs concerned such as Augher, who I'm led to believe have great facilities and treat the County boys with great hospitality.  Furthermore in a recent documentary on BBC about Tyrone GAA's success Peter Canavan even eluded to the fact that his belief was that there wasn't a poor pitch or GAA facility within the county and that this has developed in his life time and has been the major factor in Tyrone's success. 

Secondly, would I be wrong in assuming that surely if this mega million pound facility had been built 10 years ago that revenue that has indeed provided these great facilities Peter talks about, would have redirected from the club structures to the Garvaghy?  As a result clubs which are the life blood of the GAA would have suffered and grass roots players would never had the opportunity to avail of the top class facilities that we all know currently exists within our clubs throughout the county in our own villages and towns.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: caraghtyrone on January 08, 2009, 10:53:54 PM
Firstly I would like to ask the County Board why they feel we need this 6 million (rumoured to be actually more possibly 8 million!) considering that we have won the Sam Maguire 3 times in the last 6 years whilst training on Division 3 facilities? 

Never, ever, rest upon our laurels; that's history, and nothing remains the same.

The bar is being raised with each passing year, and unless Tyrone are raising it (whether in isolation, or in tandem with other counties), we won't clear it. Yes, times are tough, yes, money will be harder to come by, but that's no reason to lower our sights. Garvaghy will be a fantastic centre of excellence for all nature of teams within the county, and that can have only positive effects for Gaelic Games within the county.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrone Dreamer

I would also guess that this wont be a county only facility and clubs will get use from it to as well as schools.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 08, 2009, 11:08:45 PM
I would also guess that this wont be a county only facility and clubs will get use from it to as well as schools.

Clubs? Again...something that'll benefit the Clubs in the 'zone' only. I still think there is a divide that needs addressed.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone