GAA Childhood Heroes

Started by thejuice, August 03, 2007, 02:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Who was it you pretended to be on the school playground when you were knee high to a grasshopper?

For me it was Bernard Flynn, and when the hurl and sliotar came out I was Joe Cooney.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Spiritof98

Brian Lohan and Jonny Corvan
I'll go back if Marsdens back

dec

Fear ón Srath Bán

Frank Mc Guigan, only better  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

The Real Laoislad

I idolised my Uncle as he was a Laois senior county  Hurler in the 80's
Use to always pretend i was Barney Rock as well
You'll Never Walk Alone.

fearglasmor

Don't remember pretending to be anyone but I do recall seeing some specific skills and trying to execute them.

Matt Connor scored a point in the first half of the 82 final where he turned a couple of defenders inside out before slotting it over.
Tried it in a training match and it came off perfect except I stuck it in the net.    ;D  ;D  ;D

Also remember seeing Ritchie Connor execute a chip lift in full flight in some game in Croker in the early 80's.
Tried it in a club match and luckily it worked.

mannix

Always wanted to be a star,did not matter what star.
You would not believe the amount of allirelands i have won with the last kick of the game (in the garden, or the amount of ones i have lost with a last minute free in the same back garden, luckily i could always save the day with a bit of extra time and a few more frees).

Ciaran macdonalds skills allied to dara o ses drive would be some star.

Smiler An Dun

Plunkett Donaghy, Ambrose Rodgers and then before I left primary school James McCartan Jnr (after his 2 goal burst against Armagh in 1990  ;D)

bennydorano

Johnny Corvan, Fran McMahon, JK, Colin McKinstry, Jack O'Shea and Ambrose O'Donnovan because I thought his name was the coolest thing I'd ever heard!

prewtna

will ie joe padden without the bloodied head. he was well fit to jump and not that tall himself. tis all about timing.

Northside Dub

Paul Curran all round brilliant footballer! Have met him a few times and he's a really nice bloke to match!!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

wrecked_em

heineken_on_tap

The great Tony McManus ............also liked Meaths Brain Stafford

blanketattack

Main Street

Sean O'Neill, I remember one move he made, simple one really, going on a solo run, player comes out, Sean turns his back to the player, hops the ball, then the quick turn and shoot for a point in the one move. Never failed to work in school games.