How long before we are back at the top table?

Started by Jinxy, August 30, 2016, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I give it two years, and by that I mean we will be competitive in the All-Ireland series again.
Promotion to Division 1 has to be the short-term goal.
The two boys won't accept anything less than 100% commitment so hopefully next year we will see a fitter, stronger, better organised group of players that are terrified of the management team.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/andy-mcentee-time-for-meath-to-catch-up-with-dublin-415101.html

"Obviously, everybody realises there's a big gap, and needless to say our ambition is to close that gap. We're not really competing with Dublin, who are the benchmark for everybody. So that's the aim, to close that gap and to be more competitive."

On the appointment itself, he said: "Any Meath man in a managerial role would like to be managing Meath. It's a huge honour and a huge privilege and that's the way I'm approaching it."

As for what type of football Meath will play under him, the Dunboyne-based man said: "You got to do what you got to do but I still have ideas about how I like to see it played. You still have to compete. I wouldn't make any definite predictions but Ballyboden play a certain way similar to the way the Meath minors played a number of years ago so it's hard to see it change too much."

McEntee's brother, former Meath midfielder Gerry, along with ex-county players Donal Curtis and Finian Murtagh have been named as selectors.

McEntee said he didn't need to ask his sibling twice about getting involved.

"Gerry is the type of guy who when he makes his mind up , makes his mind up. People probably know that! This is something he's wanted to do for some time as well. He feels now is the right time and of course, it's nice to have a big brother there to help you along and mind your back! He's been doing it all his life so why change now?"
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cunny Funt

2001 since Meath won a Leinster U21 title 2002 since a Meath club won a senior Leinster title in theory and the low base this new Meath management will be working from its going to take longer than 2 years alot longer...

seafoid

In 2 years they wouldn't even get to the level of Monaghan. And that is quite a competitive level. How many scoring forwards would Meath have assuming they had the strength, conditioning, hunger, drive etc ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thejuice

I like that he has ambition and I think he will bring us on a bit in 2 years but I think it'll take more than 2 years to close the gap significantly with the Dubs.

I hope you're right Jinxy though, but we'll have to see things from the current crop of players that we haven't seen in the last 2 to 3 years. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on August 30, 2016, 10:47:17 PM
In 2 years they wouldn't even get to the level of Monaghan. And that is quite a competitive level. How many scoring forwards would Meath have assuming they had the strength, conditioning, hunger, drive etc ?

How many scoring forwards have Monaghan?

thejuice

Meaths scoring forwards:

Graham Reilly
Michael Newman
Cillian O'Sullivan
Brian McMahon

Eamon Wallace and Andrey Tormey chip in with a few scores each game depending on the opposition. They scored 7 between them against Louth this year.

moysider

How did Meath not respond before this?

I know Mayo get a good kicking for losing AIs but we bounce back quickly to get competitive enough to lose another. We came back lower than a snake's belly in 2010 to lose another AI in 2012. After taking out the AI champions in 2011 from nowhere.

How does likes of Galway, Down and Meath (who basically laugh about Mayo), allow a long gap to develop?

Ohtoohtobe

I would expect Meath to improve but ye simply don't have the players to compete with Dublin.

Rossfan

Get Sludden to ref all ye're games and ye'll have an AI by 2019.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: moysider on August 31, 2016, 12:52:30 AM

I know Mayo get a good kicking for losing AIs but we bounce back quickly to get competitive enough to lose another. We came back lower than a snake's belly in 2010 to lose another AI in 2012. After taking out the AI champions in 2011 from nowhere.

How does likes of Galway, Down and Meath (who basically laugh about Mayo), allow a long gap to develop?

Mayo might have been at a low ebb in 2010 but it was one off as opposed to the norm with Galway & Meath which went on for a long long time. Mayo were beaten by a point by Tyrone in 2008 and won a Connacht title in 2009 prior to the 2010 debacle.

Galway hoped from manager to manager and then eventually when they gave a man 3 years it was the wrong man in Mulholland. The gap between Galway & Mayo was seismic in those 3 years under Mulholland.

Even now the Galway county board are trying to save money by driving the team up to Croker on the day of the game as opposed to staying in Dublin, that is terrible preparation; I hope they have learnt their lesson.

seafoid

A new manager and everyone is going to concentrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQn8pab8Vc

What could possibly go wrong?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

I think the fact that we have all won All-Irelands in recent history feeds into a boom and bust mentality.
It seems we can tolerate being very average as long as it's based on the assumption that we will rise again at some point in the future (god knows when)
We've been there, done that and bought the T-shirt.
However, in this day and age you have to make it happen.
You can't just wait around for an outstanding group of young players to come through, or a messianic figure like Sean Boylan to come along.
Hopefully Andy & Co. can shake the county out of this mentality and build a solid foundation which makes us more consistent on an ongoing basis.
He has basically said he will look to implement large elements of the game plan which brought him good results with the minors and Ballyboden.
Having a discernible, coherent game plan in itself would be an immediate improvement.

thejuice

It just takes longer to build teams that can win All-Ireland's than it does to build ones that lose them.

ballinaman

Quote from: thejuice on August 31, 2016, 12:08:44 PM

It just takes longer to build teams that can win All-Ireland's than it does to build ones that lose them.
That's a long road ye face so. All the best.