Andy Moran
7 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 28, 2011, 03:23:43 PM

Blowitupref

Quote from: heffo on October 15, 2011, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: Gold on October 15, 2011, 11:08:19 AM
Defo Darren O'Sullivan.

Alan Brogan never once excited me--first time ever came into my head re him possibly being POTY was when his brother ssaid it live on TV

You do know A Brogan won three man of the match awards.
Which matches & who gave out the awards?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

heffo

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 15, 2011, 04:47:17 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 15, 2011, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: Gold on October 15, 2011, 11:08:19 AM
Defo Darren O'Sullivan.

Alan Brogan never once excited me--first time ever came into my head re him possibly being POTY was when his brother ssaid it live on TV

You do know A Brogan won three man of the match awards.
Which matches & who gave out the awards?

Kildare, Laois & Wexford - Sunday game gave him man of the match. They're the recognised benchmark.

J70

Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 03:55:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2011, 03:37:21 PM
So basically Jim McGuinness could have thrown any player into Lacey's role and the outcome would have been the same?

Can you come up with your own argument instead of trying to put words in my mouth?

You said anyone could do what Lacey did, did you not?

I'm saying Lacey was Donegal's best and lynchpin player this year and without him we would not have had the run we did.  We would have likely been just another team who tried the defensive system to compensate for other frailties and failed. Instead we went from being winless in Ulster for four years to what turned out to be a relatively comfortable Ulster title. Without Lacey, that would not have happened, which doesn't even touch on his performance v Kildare. To dismiss him or Donegal in general as a team who merely crowded their own half is wildly simplistic and biased.

Now I've no problem with the lads who were nominated. A strong case can be made on all three behalfs, even Cluxton. When there's only three nominations, someone has to lose out. I do have a problem with a player who performed as Lacey did being dismissed out of hand as not being even worthy of consideration.

muppet

Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2011, 06:34:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 15, 2011, 03:55:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 15, 2011, 03:37:21 PM
So basically Jim McGuinness could have thrown any player into Lacey's role and the outcome would have been the same?

Can you come up with your own argument instead of trying to put words in my mouth?

You said anyone could do what Lacey did, did you not?

I'm saying Lacey was Donegal's best and lynchpin player this year and without him we would not have had the run we did.  We would have likely been just another team who tried the defensive system to compensate for other frailties and failed. Instead we went from being winless in Ulster for four years to what turned out to be a relatively comfortable Ulster title. Without Lacey, that would not have happened, which doesn't even touch on his performance v Kildare. To dismiss him or Donegal in general as a team who merely crowded their own half is wildly simplistic and biased.

Now I've no problem with the lads who were nominated. A strong case can be made on all three behalfs, even Cluxton. When there's only three nominations, someone has to lose out. I do have a problem with a player who performed as Lacey did being dismissed out of hand as not being even worthy of consideration.

I am not biased against Donegal. I just hate watching them the way they played this year.

I said anyone could defend with that much help. That is not the same thing as saying anyone could play like Lacey did.
MWWSI 2017

bombidal

Quote from: boojangles on October 14, 2011, 06:55:44 PM
Quote from: bombidal on October 13, 2011, 05:14:31 PM
the last 7 mins of the All-Ireland changed Alan Brogan from a 10/1 shot into a 4/9 shot for POTY. This cannot be right. Darren O'Sullivan scored the 2 best goals of the championship and was excellent throughout the whole year. Was even in line for Man of the match in the final until the final 7 mins. Brogan was quiet in the 1/4 final, poor in the semi final & average in the final. Brogan getting this award is on a par with Giggs getting POTY a few years ago. Bit of a joke. Cluxton is the same. Kerry keeper had a better year.

Were you at that game?

no I was not at the game
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

nrico2006

I was reading an article yesterday about how Brogan deserved Player Of The Year.  The journalist tried to show that Brogan had a massive influence in the final by saying he played in the McManamon for the winning goal.  He is factually correct but it was a run of the mill handpass that wasn't gift wrapped with a goal chance, McManamon had to beat a few men to score the goal and it was basically all his own work.  Its a bit like trying to say that Stephen O'Neill had a big hand in Mulligans goal in 2005, when all he did was pass it to him and Mulligan had to do all the work.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 01, 2011, 12:17:25 PM
I was reading an article yesterday about how Brogan deserved Player Of The Year.  The journalist tried to show that Brogan had a massive influence in the final by saying he played in the McManamon for the winning goal.  He is factually correct but it was a run of the mill handpass that wasn't gift wrapped with a goal chance, McManamon had to beat a few men to score the goal and it was basically all his own work.  Its a bit like trying to say that Stephen O'Neill had a big hand in Mulligans goal in 2005, when all he did was pass it to him and Mulligan had to do all the work.

Let it go Nrico. Let it go.