Boxing

Started by passedit, April 30, 2007, 12:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The Gs Man on June 24, 2007, 12:22:10 AM
Cracker fight...and that cut was putred.  I near choked on my beers.

But what about Brian Kennedy singing the National anthem............he had the crowd like putty in his hands, the big fairy.

I meant to ask, whats the story with the national anthems before Dunnes fights?  I never see that in other fights on Sky Sports, be it the small fights they show on Fridays or the bigger fights on PPV.  Is this only an Irish thing?

ludermor

if dunne had half a puch the fight would have been finished by the 6th. he got through the defence constantly for the first 3/4 rounds. he cut yer man in the first round but couldnt do feck all more. he is stylish and quick but has no power. he needs to go to the states and step up a level.
what the f**k was marty doing before the fight?

was anyone else at the stadium yesterday for the european union championships?

Tyrone Dreamer

Playing the anthem is not an Irish thing and would be common enough. It doesnt happen in every fight but definately happens. Have heard the scots national anthem played at scott harrison fights and am pretty sure the English anthem has been played at some Hatton fights. I also think the Welsh one has been on before Calazghe fights. Thought Dunne boxed well but not sure if he has the power to cut it at the very top level. Looking forward to seeing John Duddy in a few weeks - possibly has more potential than Dunne - will be interesting to see what kind of support he can generate in Ireland.

stiffler

Did anyone see the Hatton fight? what was the craic with Wayne Rooney carrying his belt into the ring for him? was this more publicity for the new shrek film?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Dinny Breen

The opening 3 rounds of the Hatton fight were cracking, Hatton dominated the first two he was very gung-ho, Castillo came into it more in the third and I thought we had a classic on our hands but the body thump from Hatton in the fourth was as a body blow as good as you'll see. This victory sets Hatton up nicely now, he could be the real deal...
#newbridgeornowhere

glens73

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 24, 2007, 08:31:09 PM
The opening 3 rounds of the Hatton fight were cracking, Hatton dominated the first two he was very gung-ho, Castillo came into it more in the third and I thought we had a classic on our hands but the body thump from Hatton in the fourth was as a body blow as good as you'll see. This victory sets Hatton up nicely now, he could be the real deal...

He is the real deal, he's proved it already. The performance against Tzsyu was fantastic and that body shot against Castillo was remarkable. The only man he should avoid is Mayweather. Cotto is the fight he should be making, that would be a classic. Best thing about Hatton is how sound a bloke he his, he hasn't let any of his rise to stardom go to his head at all.

I've not really seen that much of Bernard Dunne as I live in England - can any true boxing fans tell me is he good enough to win a world title and stay at the top for a while? I would have thought he'd be a bit short of the likes of Rafael Marquez just yet from reading about him and what little I've seen of him.

ludermor

Quote from: glens73 on June 24, 2007, 08:52:18 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 24, 2007, 08:31:09 PM

He is the real deal, he's proved it already. The performance against Tzsyu was fantastic and that body shot against Castillo was remarkable. The only man he should avoid is Mayweather. Cotto is the fight he should be making, that would be a classic. Best thing about Hatton is how sound a bloke he his, he hasn't let any of his rise to stardom go to his head at all.

I've not really seen that much of Bernard Dunne as I live in England - can any true boxing fans tell me is he good enough to win a world title and stay at the top for a while? I would have thought he'd be a bit short of the likes of Rafael Marquez just yet from reading about him and what little I've seen of him.
i love the way you highlighted 'he is the real deal' but then gave him a quicj escape clause! he is a super boxer and is world class but why should he avoid anyone? i dont think he would have beaten tyzyu in his prime but iwouldnt take away his victory
and as for dunne unless he fights in the states againsy the mexicans he will be seen as a joke all over the world except the the point and the hiil

Dinny Breen

I had my doubts after the Collazo fight in which I thiought he was lucky to win. It was a great win against Tzsyu but that was only Tzsyu second fight in something like 2 years. Anyway I like Hatton, although getting Wayne Rooney to carry in his belt was something he should avoid...

As for Dunne, it was a good fight but he's a joke. The editor of Ring magazine was on Newstalk last week, lets just say he wasn't exactly forthcoming in his praise for Dunne, you have to do it America, no where else matters...
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

QuoteAs for Dunne, it was a good fight but he's a joke.
Bit harsh there Dinny. Couldn't make the Point on Sat night and didn't even get to see it but by all accounts it was Dunne's lack of a finishing punch that caused it to go the 12. Having said that you're man was a tough cookie by all accounts. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Martinez bid and if Peters can manage to keep the fight in Dublin cos he's a bit of a banger and could cause Bernard problems.  Re Dunne's lack of a killer punch , it's not uncommon at the lighter weights for this to be the case particularly at top class level where guys fitness is fantastic and its usually more a wearing down process that leads to stoppages rather than one off digs.
I think he's a smart quick boxer but maybe lacks the final 5% to make himself a World Champion but I hope he gets a chance to prove me wrong.

full back

Hatton back to form after 2 sketchy performances. Think he has to look for Mayweather as his next fight, in order to be a truly great fighter you have to take on the best. Savage body punch to stop him & it looks like Ricky stayed off the pies before the fight.

Dunne is a good fighter but as other posters have said he seems to lack that killer punch in order to become one of the best in the world at his weight. Dare I say it but is he going to be another Wayne Mc Cullough. Mc Cullough was a tidy boxer (with a sh1te accent!!) but couldnt knock his opponents out - a la Bernard Dunne

Dinny Breen

QuoteBit harsh there Dinny.

Come on Declan, Walstad isn't even ranked in the top 100 (open to correction) and still couldn't put him away. Dunne should never have quitted the Freddie Roach gym. Dunne has talent and I meant the fight was a joke but he needs to step up in class and I just feel he's been protected too much...
#newbridgeornowhere

Declan

QuoteDunne has talent and I meant the fight was a joke but he needs to step up in class and I just feel he's been protected too much...

Agree 100% Dinny - I thought you meant Dunne was a joke. Though his reasons for coming home are more connected to family than boxing so I could hardly blame him for doing that

Hattons dig was a good one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn2B1UlWLuc

glens73

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2007, 11:54:30 AM
QuoteBit harsh there Dinny.

Come on Declan, Walstad isn't even ranked in the top 100 (open to correction) and still couldn't put him away. Dunne should never have quitted the Freddie Roach gym. Dunne has talent and I meant the fight was a joke but he needs to step up in class and I just feel he's been protected too much...

Walstad is ranked 104 in the world with Boxrec.

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=097318

guy crouchback

Dunne is a nice fighter, he has speed and good technique but he has no power, no punch at all. The Guys eye was in a terrible way and any top quality fighter would have finished him.

full back

HATTON JIBES ANGER MAYWEATHER
Tuesday 26th June 2007

Floyd Mayweather looks set to reverse his decision to retire and silence a 'disrespectful' Ricky Hatton.
Mayweather immediately hung up his gloves having beaten Oscar de la Hoya for the WBC light-middleweight title.

However, the unbeaten Pretty Boy has been left smarting at comments made by Hatton - and is now tempted to return to the ring for a multi-million pound showdown.

The Hitman launched a verbal offensive on Mayweather in the aftermath of stopping Jose Luis Castillo in a bid to goad the 30-year-old back into the sport.

And the tactic looks to have worked, with Mayweather's advisor Leonard Ellerbe telling the New York Daily News: "He got Floyd's attention. Now we're calling his bluff.

"All he has to do is make a deal and he'll have his chance to back up all that talk. All that's standing between him and Floyd is air and opportunity.

"We can make the deal this week. He's very, very disrespectful. He's trying to promote himself off Floyd's name.

"When we make the deal, we'll show the world why he's the most overrated fighter of this decade.

"Floyd has never taken any fight personally. But he's taking this personally. Floyd is going to kick his butt."
From Sky Sports

Looks like Fatton has got his wish