Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2018, 05:12:33 PM
It has to change from a Croke Park game to "Neutral ".

Were Premium Level tickets and corporate boxes not sold with the guarantee of 4 quarter finals being held in Croker? I don't think the neutral games will be taken out of Croke Park.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 23, 2018, 05:14:09 PM
Quote from: westbound on July 23, 2018, 03:59:05 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 23, 2018, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2018, 03:37:49 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 12:57:04 PM
If we were to have the exact same teams involved for next year (for the sake of argument), I would put the NEUTRAL round (fairly confident this change will happen) as round 2.
The first round should get the ball rolling and build interest as one side won't have to travel, however, there should be some reward for the provincial champions so I would suggest that they get home advantage in Round 1.
Obviously, they would start against a qualifier team, unlike the current system which had all the provincial champs facing off in the first round.
The fixtures for Round 2 would look something like the following:

Tyrone/Roscommon - Markievicz Park
Dublin/Donegal - Clones
Kerry/Galway - Gaelic Grounds
Monaghan/Kildare - Pairc Tailteann

I actually think there is an argument for including as many grounds as possible from counties who don't have a team in the Super 8s, as neutral options.
So maybe instead of having a neutral game in Clones, which will be hosting a home game for Monaghan anyway, stick the game in Breffni.
Reading reports from Omagh, it seems that the town got a nice boost from the Dubs visit.
It would be great to spread that effect around as much as possible, within reason.
I read on RTE that the Mayo match was worth €400k to Newbridge
I'd love to know what metrics they use for these calculations.
They always come across as massively inflated and to push an agenda of some sort.

€400K doesn't seem inflated to me.

Say 10,000 attendance (I know it was a bit less but 10K is easier to do the calculations!)
That's only €40 per person to be left in Newbridge. Between food/parking/accommodation/pubs/Diesel/petrol and the bit of shopping that might be done by a few of the fans (or spouses of fans who won't bother going into the game), €40 per person doesn't seem too inflated.
I'd guess the €400K includes money spent inside the ground as well?
In a family of 4 or 5, I doubt they're going to spend €40 each.
Things like petrol/diesel assumes you fill up in Newbridge and not so many miles out the road.
I have a feeling the local hotels only saw a slight uptick in bookings as well.

Zero uptake, Derby was on for the Mayo game, The Oaks for Roscommon game.

400K is pie in the sky. I drove over yesterday, 2 mates and junior. Free parking. We went for 1 drink before hand €20. Junior spent a fiver on rubbish in the ground. Drove home immediately afterwards. 4 supporters spending on average €7.  Probably at best worth €150k to the local economy which is decent.

One of the worst grounds in the country, and it's not as bad as we or other people make out will probably provide two of the top 5 football games and occasions of the season.

Which is why playing the u20 AI final in Tullamore should have been a no brainer, CP is a terrible venue choice for it.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 23, 2018, 05:18:57 PM

Were Premium Level tickets and corporate boxes not sold with the guarantee of 4 quarter finals being held in Croker? I don't think the neutral games will be taken out of Croke Park.
If Congress votes to change the wording of 6 28 they'll have to.
As it is Dublin get 2 games at home while everyone else has to play 2 away.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Was at the Tyrone game in Omagh and have to say the Dubs should be on the road more often. They bring a great crowd and create a wonderful atmosphere both in and outside the ground. I also reckon they like travelling too.

J70

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2018, 05:33:01 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 23, 2018, 05:18:57 PM

If Congress votes to change the wording of 6 28 they'll have to.
As it is Dublin get 2 games at home while everyone else has to play 2 away.

Donegal got stuck with two away. At least the Croke Park game was neutral for the other six.

From the Bunker

This made me laugh, they'll do anything now to try a sell a few extra tickets for the last weekend of the Super (h)8!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7t4oAaMcU

Hound

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 23, 2018, 07:37:16 PM
Just listened to the GAA Hour on the drive home there and was surprised to hear that they were pretty much in agreement that Galway should rest players against Monaghan with an All-Ireland semi-final the following weekend. Their logic being that they are in the semi-finals already and shouldn't be bothered about avoiding Dublin as you're going to have to play them in either the semis or final anyway.

Why risk all your top players in what is sure to be a hard hitting physical game against Monaghan with such a quick turnaround after. They compared it to having a league game with your club the weekend before a big championship match. Worst case scenario is Galway play their best side, lose the game to Monaghan anyway, pick up a few knocks and still have to face the Dubs who will likely have a low intensity glorified training session with Roscommon.
Haven't heard the podcast, but some good points in there. The week turnaround makes this (Galway playing a weakened team) a commonsense approach.

Galway do have plenty of lads who could do with a start anyway, and will be busting a gut to either get into the starting team for the semi or move higher up the subs list.

On the downside it'll hurt the image of the Super 8, especially as it's Kerry who might be impacted. Can you imagine how Pat Spillane will react!

Of course if Walsh views this as a stepping stone year, with the aim of getting to an All Ireland final, then their best chance of reaching that target would be to go all out to win v Monaghan. But their best chance of winning an All Ireland would be to rest their best players v Monaghan.

Dublin in a more obvious situation, with the added point that their semi final opponents are getting an extra rest day. Dublin do have the benefit of a large squad, so we've plenty of options if someone gets injured. But Fenton and Rock would be huge losses, so it would be madness to play them in a meaningless game 6 days before an All Ireland semi. And you could make a good case that we should be making 15 changes.   

Goina be interesting to see how this plays out.

galwayman

Quote from: Hound on July 24, 2018, 01:11:25 PM
Just listened to the GAA Hour on the drive home there and was surprised to hear that they were pretty much in agreement that Galway should rest players against Monaghan with an All-Ireland semi-final the following weekend. Their logic being that they are in the semi-finals already and shouldn't be bothered about avoiding Dublin as you're going to have to play them in either the semis or final anyway.

Why risk all your top players in what is sure to be a hard hitting physical game against Monaghan with such a quick turnaround after. They compared it to having a league game with your club the weekend before a big championship match. Worst case scenario is Galway play their best side, lose the game to Monaghan anyway, pick up a few knocks and still have to face the Dubs who will likely have a low intensity glorified training session with Roscommon.
Haven't heard the podcast, but some good points in there. The week turnaround makes this (Galway playing a weakened team) a commonsense approach.

Galway do have plenty of lads who could do with a start anyway, and will be busting a gut to either get into the starting team for the semi or move higher up the subs list.

On the downside it'll hurt the image of the Super 8, especially as it's Kerry who might be impacted. Can you imagine how Pat Spillane will react!

Of course if Walsh views this as a stepping stone year, with the aim of getting to an All Ireland final, then their best chance of reaching that target would be to go all out to win v Monaghan. But their best chance of winning an All Ireland would be to rest their best players v Monaghan.

Dublin in a more obvious situation, with the added point that their semi final opponents are getting an extra rest day. Dublin do have the benefit of a large squad, so we've plenty of options if someone gets injured. But Fenton and Rock would be huge losses, so it would be madness to play them in a meaningless game 6 days before an All Ireland semi. And you could make a good case that we should be making 15 changes.   

Absolutely Dublin have leeway to make wholesale changes given they are guaranteed top spot regardless, whereas our lads are in a different position.
It's a tough one to be honest.
With the short turnaround - any niggle picked up has the potential to rule somebody out of the game the following week.
Anybody carrying any sort of knock won't be risked obviously but outside of that I don't honestly know how our management will approach this.
If the opposition were to be anybody but Dublin they would sacrifice the game and rest key players without doubt but the Dubs are so good it will be hard to do that.

shark

Quote from: galwayman on July 24, 2018, 01:37:16 PM

Absolutely Dublin have leeway to make wholesale changes given they are guaranteed top spot regardless, whereas our lads are in a different position.
With the short turnaround - any niggle picked up has the potential to rule somebody out of the game the following week.
Anybody carrying any sort of knock won't be risked obviously but outside of that I don't honestly know how our management will approach this.
If the opposition were to be anybody but Dublin they would sacrifice the game and rest key players without doubt but the Dubs are so good it will be hard to do that.

From the outside looking in, it seems a no brainer for Galway. 4/5 changes from their current first 15. Armstrong, Varley, O'Donnell, Duane, O'Currain. They could make these changes and still win, although it would be less likely.

trueblue1234

Quote from: shark on July 24, 2018, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 24, 2018, 01:37:16 PM

From the outside looking in, it seems a no brainer for Galway. 4/5 changes from their current first 15. Armstrong, Varley, O'Donnell, Duane, O'Currain. They could make these changes and still win, although it would be less likely.

Monaghan Galway could go either way with full teams. I doubt Galway would win with making 5 changes.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

GalwayBayBoy

Another tweak needed for next year is a 2 week break before the semi-finals. One week turnaround before such a big game for any county seems a bit mad.

Plus I have no doubt that if Galway had a 2 week break before the semi-final they would 100% put out their best side against Monaghan but with only one week there is a definite possibility that certain players will be rotated in and out of the starting team. And if that happens Kerry will go mad but Galway as a team that have already qualified have to look after their own interests.

thebackbar1

Quote from: trailer on July 23, 2018, 07:17:57 PM
Was at the Tyrone game in Omagh and have to say the Dubs should be on the road more often. They bring a great crowd and create a wonderful atmosphere both in and outside the ground. I also reckon they like travelling too.
100% they brought a large and vocal support to Galway this year in the league

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2018, 04:53:26 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 23, 2018, 04:22:20 PM
Quote from: westbound on July 23, 2018, 03:59:05 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on July 23, 2018, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2018, 03:37:49 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2018, 12:57:04 PM
If we were to have the exact same teams involved for next year (for the sake of argument), I would put the NEUTRAL round (fairly confident this change will happen) as round 2.
The first round should get the ball rolling and build interest as one side won't have to travel, however, there should be some reward for the provincial champions so I would suggest that they get home advantage in Round 1.
Obviously, they would start against a qualifier team, unlike the current system which had all the provincial champs facing off in the first round.
The fixtures for Round 2 would look something like the following:

Tyrone/Roscommon - Markievicz Park
Dublin/Donegal - Clones
Kerry/Galway - Gaelic Grounds
Monaghan/Kildare - Pairc Tailteann

I actually think there is an argument for including as many grounds as possible from counties who don't have a team in the Super 8s, as neutral options.
So maybe instead of having a neutral game in Clones, which will be hosting a home game for Monaghan anyway, stick the game in Breffni.
Reading reports from Omagh, it seems that the town got a nice boost from the Dubs visit.
It would be great to spread that effect around as much as possible, within reason.
I read on RTE that the Mayo match was worth €400k to Newbridge
I'd love to know what metrics they use for these calculations.
They always come across as massively inflated and to push an agenda of some sort.

€400K doesn't seem inflated to me.

Say 10,000 attendance (I know it was a bit less but 10K is easier to do the calculations!)
That's only €40 per person to be left in Newbridge. Between food/parking/accommodation/pubs/Diesel/petrol and the bit of shopping that might be done by a few of the fans (or spouses of fans who won't bother going into the game), €40 per person doesn't seem too inflated.
I'd guess the €400K includes money spent inside the ground as well?

Exactly and that is pretty modest estimate considering I spent ten Euro on water inside the ground, 60 euro food and pints in newbridge, left a few quid in Paddy power in the town too. The pubs were wedged before and after the game .

I don't think people put enough thought into how well small towns do for a decent crowd championship game . In saying that not every country is like our lot, we bring some crowds even for league games to the different towns and there's always a buzz around  when Mayo are in town ,like it or loathe it , that's the truth.

Hopefully people will see sense and put the Dublin v Roscommon game as a curtain raiser to our under 20 lads instead of other way around.

LOL

What's so funny? The Dublin Ros game has nothing riding on it, apart from the Dubs getting injured by the non-strength-and-conditioned Roscommon players. If I go, I won't be hanging around for it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

I don't expect anyou Rhubarbs or flourbags to hang around for our non event.
The U20 game and presentation etc will be all done and dusted by 2. 40 ( barring extra time and free kicking off course).
I'm sure both lots are gone past the slack jawed peasant gaping at "this magnificent Stadium" stage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 24, 2018, 02:02:53 PM
Another tweak needed for next year is a 2 week break before the semi-finals. One week turnaround before such a big game for any county seems a bit mad.

Plus I have no doubt that if Galway had a 2 week break before the semi-final they would 100% put out their best side against Monaghan but with only one week there is a definite possibility that certain players will be rotated in and out of the starting team. And if that happens Kerry will go mad but Galway as a team that have already qualified have to look after their own interests.
Why is the break this weekend and not after the group stage has been completed?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either