The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Armamike

The team are tired and devoid of ideas at the moment.  They've hit the proverbial wall the past few weeks and the longer it goes without a goal the more it sucks the confidence.  A drop off is natural, and typical of teams playing at an extremely high level over 2-3 years. LFC supporters shouldn't beat themselves up too much over it. It was always going to be a tough ask this season, with or without Virgil and the other long line of absences at different points. The signs were showing from just before the first lockdown.  The alarm bells were ringing after the humping by Villa when we had a full side out (apart from Allison).  Losing out on top 4 would be a huge drop off and given the club's financial model and Covid would be very worrying.

As for last night, it was very frustrating to see the lack of variety.  Constantly chipping the ball high into the box was plainly stupid against centre backs heading the ball away unchallenged against our attackers. As others have said, it's strange why our wide and front players haven't been taking defenders on and why we're not trying more to get to the byline and cut the ball back into the box.  Anything other than crossing the ball high into a crowded area.  Hard to see where a goal never mind a win is coming from at the moment but that can change quickly.
That's just, like your opinion man.

J70

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2021, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 22, 2021, 12:04:10 PM
Quote from: blasmere on January 22, 2021, 12:00:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2021, 11:49:55 AM
The narrative that Liverpool's current attacking problems can be traced back to VVD's absence is quite amusing. Liverpool had no problems scoring goals before he arrived, and not much problems in November and December without him. It's amazing what people can convince themselves of.

Scouse do look jaded. It's not to be unexpected either; the same thing happened to City last season and happens routinely to Chelsea every year after they win a title. The reality is it's much easier to effervescently chase down every last cause when in pursuit of a holy grail, than it is when holding that grail.

Isn't it strange though that footballers across the world, and at every level, when things are going against them resort to pointless high crosses into a penalty box in which they're hugely outnumbered?

Isn't one of the reasons they are suffering because of VVD and also Gomez's absence the fact they have less pace at the back, therefore they're defending deeper and the press isn't as effective.

Its definitely one of them.

When's the last time you saw Liverpool score because they pressured the defence into losing the ball?

I've seen a bit of you recently and it looks like you're centre half's are still keeping a really high line. I can remember seeing stats on sprints last year so that would be an interesting to see a comparison between Liverpool's front 3 and 2019.

Are teams defending any differently to they did during 2019? I thinks its a combination of factors as opposed to down to one issue.

Klopp's the best manager of his generation and his success in the transfer market cannot be matched in this generation so should be backed more by your owners.

Yeah, its likely a lot of different things together.

I don't think the opposition defences are the key issue though - Liverpool faced that all the time the previous two seasons, but almost always found a way through. They kept things moving very quickly, lots of one-touch and one-two football and quick switches. Now its just move the ball slowly around the edge of the area, ending up with one of the full backs launching a hopeful ball either in the air (meat and drink for most centre backs against the Liverpool forwards) or low into the forest of legs. Its like a soccer version of a GAA team labouring against a blanket defense, going back and forth along the 45 searching in vain for someone to break through. And even when they do try the quick stuff, the likes of Salah and Firmino are not exactly in form with the ball sticking to their feet through the tight spaces.

Part of the reason Thiago was brought in was to have someone up the field who could thread the needle to put an attacker or fullback through or in behind, but they've been using him as the midfield anchor in the past few games with Henderson and Fabinho unavailable.

Unfortunately for Klopp and the rest of us, the funds aren't there for big spending amidst COVID. Anfield Road end of the stadium is coming up for redevelopment too.

It might be that they have to sell the likes of Salah to fund further team evolution.

delgany

Quote from: J70 on January 22, 2021, 03:44:52 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 22, 2021, 01:10:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 22, 2021, 12:04:10 PM
Quote from: blasmere on January 22, 2021, 12:00:59 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2021, 11:49:55 AM
The narrative that Liverpool's current attacking problems can be traced back to VVD's absence is quite amusing. Liverpool had no problems scoring goals before he arrived, and not much problems in November and December without him. It's amazing what people can convince themselves of.

Scouse do look jaded. It's not to be unexpected either; the same thing happened to City last season and happens routinely to Chelsea every year after they win a title. The reality is it's much easier to effervescently chase down every last cause when in pursuit of a holy grail, than it is when holding that grail.

Isn't it strange though that footballers across the world, and at every level, when things are going against them resort to pointless high crosses into a penalty box in which they're hugely outnumbered?

Isn't one of the reasons they are suffering because of VVD and also Gomez's absence the fact they have less pace at the back, therefore they're defending deeper and the press isn't as effective.

Its definitely one of them.

When's the last time you saw Liverpool score because they pressured the defence into losing the ball?

I've seen a bit of you recently and it looks like you're centre half's are still keeping a really high line. I can remember seeing stats on sprints last year so that would be an interesting to see a comparison between Liverpool's front 3 and 2019.

Are teams defending any differently to they did during 2019? I thinks its a combination of factors as opposed to down to one issue.

Klopp's the best manager of his generation and his success in the transfer market cannot be matched in this generation so should be backed more by your owners.

Yeah, its likely a lot of different things together.

I don't think the opposition defences are the key issue though - Liverpool faced that all the time the previous two seasons, but almost always found a way through. They kept things moving very quickly, lots of one-touch and one-two football and quick switches. Now its just move the ball slowly around the edge of the area, ending up with one of the full backs launching a hopeful ball either in the air (meat and drink for most centre backs against the Liverpool forwards) or low into the forest of legs. Its like a soccer version of a GAA team labouring against a blanket defense, going back and forth along the 45 searching in vain for someone to break through. And even when they do try the quick stuff, the likes of Salah and Firmino are not exactly in form with the ball sticking to their feet through the tight spaces.

Part of the reason Thiago was brought in was to have someone up the field who could thread the needle to put an attacker or fullback through or in behind, but they've been using him as the midfield anchor in the past few games with Henderson and Fabinho unavailable.

Unfortunately for Klopp and the rest of us, the funds aren't there for big spending amidst COVID. Anfield Road end of the stadium is coming up for redevelopment too.

It might be that they have to sell the likes of Salah to fund further team evolution.
100% - blanket defence - Burnley were 8 and 9 deep in their own box

trileacman

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 22, 2021, 01:02:53 AM
Quote from: trileacman on January 22, 2021, 12:31:42 AM
Pundits completely missing the point again. Loss of the centre halfs has nothing to do with it. I don't even see the need to buy one unless we trade Matip out. It's not our defence that's the problem it's the attack and in particular Firmino. He's done, past it. When he's in form we're unstoppable like against Cyrstal Palace but those days are as rare as hens teeth. He's constantly butchering chances, slowing down the attack, taking the wrong option. If we'd an absolute world class centre forward it would solve a lot of our problems. A goal scorer with a very good touch who can link the play with those around him. The 2 best players in the world at it are lewandoski and Haland. Lewandoski is past it so unless anyone else knows a 9 who likes to play on the break but can also bring other players into it when holding the ball up.

The next big problem is TAA. He's bad, like so bad that I'd play anyone ahead of him at right back. His form is even worse than Firmino, everything he touches is turning to shit. His greatest assest, his passing is completely gone awry, if he doesn't get a good break from the 1st team he'll never get over this slump. I don't know if its mental or burnout or what his problem is but he needs a good break from football to clear his head.

Lastly Klopp is letting us down badly against these teams who sit back and play narrow. We're constantly trying to play through the centre and getting nowhere. The team needs to either play crosses in behind the defence from 30 yards or else run the sideline and get in behind the full backs to get in crosses. Balls delivered into the box between keeper and a backtracking defence punishes teams with a lot of men back because there's a much greater chance someone will poke the ball past their own keeper. We spent the entire last 30 mins trying to play the ball through 10 men camped on the edge of the box. It was never going to work.

Lewandowski isnt finished, hes the best striker in the world and has been for a few years. We'll not be signing him though anyway.

We need a new 9. Firmino's done. My point was that at 33 Lewandoski is on the downslope of his career and not a lad we would be signing. I meant he was past his best which is what I imagine his last season will prove to be.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

blewuporstuffed

united looking shakey at the back but dangerous on the break
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

From the Bunker

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Easy free kick to give, knee knocked back of knee of other player. Simples

Better game than the last game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trileacman on January 22, 2021, 06:24:55 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on January 22, 2021, 01:02:53 AM
Quote from: trileacman on January 22, 2021, 12:31:42 AM
Pundits completely missing the point again. Loss of the centre halfs has nothing to do with it. I don't even see the need to buy one unless we trade Matip out. It's not our defence that's the problem it's the attack and in particular Firmino. He's done, past it. When he's in form we're unstoppable like against Cyrstal Palace but those days are as rare as hens teeth. He's constantly butchering chances, slowing down the attack, taking the wrong option. If we'd an absolute world class centre forward it would solve a lot of our problems. A goal scorer with a very good touch who can link the play with those around him. The 2 best players in the world at it are lewandoski and Haland. Lewandoski is past it so unless anyone else knows a 9 who likes to play on the break but can also bring other players into it when holding the ball up.

The next big problem is TAA. He's bad, like so bad that I'd play anyone ahead of him at right back. His form is even worse than Firmino, everything he touches is turning to shit. His greatest assest, his passing is completely gone awry, if he doesn't get a good break from the 1st team he'll never get over this slump. I don't know if its mental or burnout or what his problem is but he needs a good break from football to clear his head.

Lastly Klopp is letting us down badly against these teams who sit back and play narrow. We're constantly trying to play through the centre and getting nowhere. The team needs to either play crosses in behind the defence from 30 yards or else run the sideline and get in behind the full backs to get in crosses. Balls delivered into the box between keeper and a backtracking defence punishes teams with a lot of men back because there's a much greater chance someone will poke the ball past their own keeper. We spent the entire last 30 mins trying to play the ball through 10 men camped on the edge of the box. It was never going to work.

Lewandowski isnt finished, hes the best striker in the world and has been for a few years. We'll not be signing him though anyway.

We need a new 9. Firmino's done. My point was that at 33 Lewandoski is on the downslope of his career and not a lad we would be signing. I meant he was past his best which is what I imagine his last season will prove to be.

He has scored 23 goals in 17 games this season you lunatic.

Thats more than Jota, Mane,  Firmino, Windalum and Keita combined