Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Good man RHM, did you watch the game yesterday?

Asal Mor

Have ya tried going for a run RHM?

I guarantee you'll feel your mood changing for the better pretty quickly if you do. I try to always head out for a run if i'm feeling anxious, stressed or depressed. Download a couple of podcasts, second captains is a good one....
https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains-it-com
.... and just run. If you get too tired, walk for a while and then run some more. When you come home an hour or two later, you'll feel better and more relaxed.

Good luck with it man.

laoislad

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 23, 2016, 09:13:49 PM
Have ya tried going for a run RHM?

I guarantee you'll feel your mood changing for the better pretty quickly if you do. I try to always head out for a run if i'm feeling anxious, stressed or depressed. Download a couple of podcasts, second captains is a good one....
https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains-it-com
.... and just run. If you get too tired, walk for a while and then run some more. When you come home an hour or two later, you'll feel better and more relaxed.

Good luck with it man.
+1
The wife will actually tell me to go for a run when she can see me getting a bit down or stressed out.
I'm sure any type of activity will work the same be it running,swimming or cycling etc.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Asal Mor

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 22, 2016, 01:11:12 AM
Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 22, 2016, 12:44:46 AM
Thanks. Not so good when that game doesn't even raise the dander in me.

Well you know what?

Go to bed now and get up tomorrow and if you werent intending to go tomorrow make a point of going to it, if it is in anyway possible. There is nothing like the first round of the championship, the smell of burgers and onions, fags, the crowds, the tension, the roar, the scores, the banter, the radio on the way home. Deadly stuff!

I dont know what way you are spiritually but Im at home with my daughter at the minute on the other side of the planet. And we will say a prayer for ye.
They do smell nice, but I don't think you're supposed to call them that anymore.

Red Hand Man

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 23, 2016, 08:40:01 PM

A mate called me yesterday morning and asked me to go to the game with him.

I actually got paranoid thinking he had somehow read this thread and realised it was me.  I went anyway, and enjoyed it. Thanks to the prompts on here.

It lifted the siege for a few hours.

It's really strange.  From the outside, I have no worries. Great wife, fantastic children, not stuck for a bob or two. The way I feel has no logic what so ever.

It's actually scary.

Gold

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 23, 2016, 09:34:47 PM

I actually got paranoid thinking he had somehow read this thread and realised it was me.  I went anyway, and enjoyed it. Thanks to the prompts on here.

It's really strange.  From the outside, I have no worries. Great wife, fantastic children, not stuck for a bob or two. The way I feel has no logic what so ever.

It's actually scary.

But can be beaten

Keep  talking on here...people all over Ireland and beyond supporting you here
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Red Hand Man

Thanks Gold.

Can I just ask, does anyone have any opinion on using sleeping tablets to get off to sleep?  I seem to find it hardest when I'm lying in bed at night. Mind racing and dark thoughts. If I thought they would knock me out I think I'd go for it. Afraid of any side effects though.  Getting out of bed in the morning is tough enough as it is.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 23, 2016, 09:34:47 PM

It's actually scary.

If she is a great wife and you have fantastic children, the main reason for that is you, as you make up so much of their lives; Immerse yourself in them - I would agree with the running part, but spending time with them, for me, is just as fulfilling. (I don't find life easy btw).
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Red Hand Man

It's hard to describe BBB.  Even if I recognise my strong points (if that's the right phrase), it doesn't make me feel any better.

As I said before, there is no logic to how I feel. I just feel shit a lot of the time, and really really shit sometimes.

I have conversations with myself where I tell myself of all the good things I've done / have etc. It doesn't matter. The cloud is still there. It won't go away. It doesn't care what I've done or what I have, it just stays there.

I appreciate that this is hard for anyone to understand who hasn't experienced it. I'm convinced that this can happen to anyone at any time. It's just shit that it's happening to me.

f**k it, I feel pathetic spilling on an anonymous forum.  It's actually the first time I've tried to put my thoughts on paper so to speak. Doesn't make good reading.

macdanger2

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 23, 2016, 11:12:45 PM
Thanks Gold.

Can I just ask, does anyone have any opinion on using sleeping tablets to get off to sleep?  I seem to find it hardest when I'm lying in bed at night. Mind racing and dark thoughts. If I thought they would knock me out I think I'd go for it. Afraid of any side effects though.  Getting out of bed in the morning is tough enough as it is.

Have taken them a couple of times but I'd say you wouldn't want to be on them the whole time without talking to a doctor. We had a talk at work there recently about trying to improve your sleeping and they spoke about something called "mindfulness", it's basically a way of clearing your mind, have tried it a couple of times and it's not bad. Worth googling anyway.

A friend of mine suffered badly from depression a few years back and went to his GP who referred him on to someone, he said it was the best thing he ever did. Probably a hard thing to do but worth considering RHM

Red Hand Man

Yeah, I'm trying to grow a set and go to the doc. It's at that stage now. Thanks.

macdanger2

Have a go at some of this, it's basically just breathing and thinking but you might find it useful

Http://www.nosleeplessnights.com/mindfulness-exercises/

Red Hand Man

Thanks for taking the time to find that. I'll give it a go tonight.

Just to say, I really do appreciate strangers taking time to post here. It's kind of humbling. Thank you.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 23, 2016, 11:21:17 PM
It's hard to describe BBB.  Even if I recognise my strong points (if that's the right phrase), it doesn't make me feel any better.

As I said before, there is no logic to how I feel. I just feel shit a lot of the time, and really really shit sometimes.

I have conversations with myself where I tell myself of all the good things I've done / have etc. It doesn't matter. The cloud is still there. It won't go away. It doesn't care what I've done or what I have, it just stays there.

I appreciate that this is hard for anyone to understand who hasn't experienced it. I'm convinced that this can happen to anyone at any time. It's just shit that it's happening to me.

f**k it, I feel pathetic spilling on an anonymous forum.  It's actually the first time I've tried to put my thoughts on paper so to speak. Doesn't make good reading.

It is not pathetic - it is you trying to make sense of why you have these feelings and you are expressing them - for me it doesn't matter if it is here, or to a friend or work colleague - the next week, day, hour, minute, just to get through it.
I was listening to Talksport and the cricketer Graham Fowler was on promoting his autobiography. He didn't know he had depression - it was when his wife said to him he needed help. He thought he was fine and asked why. She said "because you haven't talked to anyone in a month".
So even if you think it is nonsense in many ways, keep talking, or typing - as one of the previous posts says, there are a lot of people on this board, your own, who are willing and wishing you well.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Red Hand Man

My wife more or less said the same to me.  Said I've stopped talking to people, really talking instead of just small chat.

Thanks BBB and thanks all.