Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: sheamy on May 21, 2014, 12:11:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 12:08:20 PM
not Sky Sports News now

LOL. Indeed, not.

Sorry, the reason I specified that was because Joe implied that Sky Sports 'formula' for presenting sport was with a 'lovely girl' doing the presenting. My list shows that is emphatically NOT the case. The only place where that charge could be levelled at them is on Sky Sports News, but that is a completely different role.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 21, 2014, 11:37:22 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 21, 2014, 11:35:43 AM

Ah sure isn't Joe great craic altogether? ::)

Don Cherry has said worse ;)

Don Cherry is a senile 80 year old man. What's Joe's excuse?

Anyway what's that got to do with things?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 12:12:10 PM
What?? Croi, I think you're off base on this one. Sky Sports News is where women generally present on Sky Sports. Joe Brolly's position is starting from an incorrect position to begin with. So he's picking on Rachel Wyse explicitly and specifically. There are no (or very few) other women on Sky Sports who present live Sport in this way.

And I think you are giving his motivation far too much credit in my opinion, but you could be right.

Ah I know he's only throwing out the comment as a dig and for a bit of devilment, it's his position in relation to Sky that I respect, if not totally agree with.

I've had a pint with the man and been at a roadshow he was on and he couldn't give a monkeys if the analyst job ended tomorrow. He probably doesn't take it as seriously as the rest of us want him to take it if anything.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 12:13:48 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 12:08:47 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 11:49:25 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 11:06:06 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:44:54 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 10:12:40 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 21, 2014, 09:32:10 AM
The primary difference between male and female TV presenters is that female TV presenters have to be good looking.
That's hardly her fault.
She has a competitive sports background, is Irish, works for Sky and seems like an intelligent woman.
Brolly has let himself down badly with that comment.

Why? Is that comment itself not sexist?

That's the reality, not my opinion.

Oh I know it's the reality, do you think it's right though that the eye candy gets the role rather than the most competent woman?

Who would the most competent Irish female sports presenter be then?
That isn't already working for RTE, BBC or TV3, obviously.

What's the name of the red haired female sportswriter who has been writing a lot longer for the Irish Independent than Rachel Wyse has been? Do you think we'll ever see her on the telly?

Cliona Foley?
I've seen her on telly a good few times.
She was on Breaking Ball before, as well as the Marty Morrissey thing that runs during the championship.

That's the one. And you've made Joe's point there. You might see her on the odd show every couple of years but you'll never find her presenting on Sky.

When did that become the height of any woman's aspirations?

I knew a woman once, she died.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: shawshank on May 21, 2014, 12:11:52 PM
I do laugh at the comments people make about Brolly and how you cant understand blaa blaa etc etc. Brolly stands in court each day defending all types of people from murders, violent crime, asking brutal questions, hearing brutal stories, trying to find angles to get sentences reduces or get them off etc. A world we know nothing of.  When you put what he deals with daily, a throw away comment is hardly going to tax his conscience, the way it might for you or I.

How's it going Joe?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 21, 2014, 12:22:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 21, 2014, 12:12:10 PM
What?? Croi, I think you're off base on this one. Sky Sports News is where women generally present on Sky Sports. Joe Brolly's position is starting from an incorrect position to begin with. So he's picking on Rachel Wyse explicitly and specifically. There are no (or very few) other women on Sky Sports who present live Sport in this way.

And I think you are giving his motivation far too much credit in my opinion, but you could be right.

Ah I know he's only throwing out the comment as a dig and for a bit of devilment, it's his position in relation to Sky that I respect, if not totally agree with.

I've had a pint with the man and been at a roadshow he was on and he couldn't give a monkeys if the analyst job ended tomorrow. He probably doesn't take it as seriously as the rest of us want him to take it if anything.

but he's completely incorrect in what he said. Not only was it a sly dig at a woman for daring to present the GAA on Sky, but it's based on a non-truth. Namely "SKY's beautiful anchor formula for their overwhelmingly male audience is shamelessly sexist. That is the point."

Sky Sports do not have a 'beautiful anchor formula' for presenting live sport. I've proven that above I think.

He's an attention seeking pain in the arse as a GAA pundit, and if he truly doesn't care about his analyst gig, then he's an even bigger tool about it that I thought, because that means he's just being controversial to wind people up, not to increase his profile. I don't believe it though. I think he loves the media profile.

shawshank

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 21, 2014, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: shawshank on May 21, 2014, 12:11:52 PM
I do laugh at the comments people make about Brolly and how you cant understand blaa blaa etc etc. Brolly stands in court each day defending all types of people from murders, violent crime, asking brutal questions, hearing brutal stories, trying to find angles to get sentences reduces or get them off etc. A world we know nothing of.  When you put what he deals with daily, a throw away comment is hardly going to tax his conscience, the way it might for you or I.

How's it going Joe?

Not to bad, thanks for asking.

AZOffaly

Why do you think EVERY RTE GAA pundit has come out against the Sky deal in their various media outlets? Do all of them share the opinion that it's doing down the people who want to see the games live, even if RTE maintain their quota of games? I didn't realise they loved TV3 that much, even though a fair proportion of Ulster can't get TV3. My arse. It's because they are worried Sky will change the landscape, and they'll be put out to grass.

Eamonnca1

Seems like the jumped-up little weasel has apologized.

DennistheMenace

Talks before he thinks and ends up eventually having to apologise. He has become a parody of himself.

Brick Tamlin

Some people on here take themselves way too seriously.

thejuice

Lads, I can't be certain but I don't think Rachel reads this forum.

I don't think she'll have noticed your gallant efforts at saving her honour.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J OGorman

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 21, 2014, 12:37:30 PM
Some people on here take themselves way too seriously.

Is there a term for a group of male feminists?

cockahoop

careful now..down with this sort of thing..my f**king ass!!

Jinxy

Quote from: thejuice on May 21, 2014, 12:40:24 PM
Lads, I can't be certain but I don't think Rachel reads this forum.

I don't think she'll have noticed your gallant efforts at saving her honour.

Sure how would we know?
Unless she demonstrates detailed knowledge of the movements of the Roscommon bus.
If you were any use you'd be playing.