?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: bennydorano on September 01, 2017, 05:47:22 PM
Ronni bought some stinkers. Johnny Hayes from Aberdeen tho, what's that about?

Poor johnny Hayes gets some stick. He had a great season last year and one of the few Irish players to actually move to a better team most of the rest seem to be on a downward trajectory.

Targetman

I thought it was a strange signing myself, had a great season with Aberdeen but isn't really gonna get much game time at Celtic, on the centre half situation VVD on loan would have been some coup, can only dream!!

Hectic

Rodgers said he will not bring in any centre back just for the sake of cover.

When you look at the players he has signed as well as what we had we have some real potential in Tierney, Ntcham, Roberts, Simunovic, Dembele and Edouard.

Add to that Brown, Griffiths, Sinclair and Rogic and we are getting pretty close to a high quality squad.

I still think we are missing a top centre back and right back though Lustig with his experience and international quality is not too shabby.

I still harbour doubts about Gordon but generally I can see Rodgers point in that if we are looking at the jigsaw it is getting there and with the right pieces we could have an excellent first eleven by our standards.

stew

I was hoping Tierney would be a lifelong Celt but watching this kid get hacked at week in and week out I am starting to hope he moves on in the summer window at seasons end, there are criminal tackles coming at him and it is only a matter of time before they wreck him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: illdecide on September 01, 2017, 09:20:56 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on August 31, 2017, 11:31:20 PM
Should've gone for Costa on loan til Christmas.   CL football for the wee loony toon to keep him sharp for his transfer to Athletico in the winter window and he's  good enough to give Celtic a slim chance at finishing in top two in CL group.

Yeah his £200k a week wages would have been easy paid

Correct, some of the Celtic fans have got tremendously unrealistic expectations when it comes to signings, not just here, everywhere!

Costa  :P :P :-[ :-[

MoChara

Quote from: ned on September 01, 2017, 12:37:22 PM
Quote from: MoChara on September 01, 2017, 09:42:21 AM
Quote from: ned on September 01, 2017, 07:55:05 AM
We need a centre back if we can improve on what we have, not just for the sake of it.
At present we have Simunovic, Sviatchenko, Boyata, Ajer, Lustig and at a push Bitton and Tierney who can play in a three centrally. Whether these lot are good enough is another matter but a new CB for PSG is really not going to make a difference.
Edouard could potentially be our record signing. That tells me that for the right player we are prepared to pay. Have you seen some of the dross we have signed in the past few years? Quality is what I want every time.

This article shows the signings over the last 10 years, if you can remember all of them I'll be impressed.

http://celtsarehere.com/celtics-best-ever-summer-transfer-window/

I know all those names but some in a "had blocked that from memory" type way! Was there a point to your post or just more of a why the eff did we sign him?

It was more to show your point that we don't need anymore dross, we've done plenty of signing for the sake of it in the past and it's not been any real benefit.

ned

Quote from: MoChara on September 03, 2017, 01:01:59 PM
Quote from: ned on September 01, 2017, 12:37:22 PM
Quote from: MoChara on September 01, 2017, 09:42:21 AM
Quote from: ned on September 01, 2017, 07:55:05 AM
We need a centre back if we can improve on what we have, not just for the sake of it.
At present we have Simunovic, Sviatchenko, Boyata, Ajer, Lustig and at a push Bitton and Tierney who can play in a three centrally. Whether these lot are good enough is another matter but a new CB for PSG is really not going to make a difference.
Edouard could potentially be our record signing. That tells me that for the right player we are prepared to pay. Have you seen some of the dross we have signed in the past few years? Quality is what I want every time.

This article shows the signings over the last 10 years, if you can remember all of them I'll be impressed.

http://celtsarehere.com/celtics-best-ever-summer-transfer-window/

I know all those names but some in a "had blocked that from memory" type way! Was there a point to your post or just more of a why the eff did we sign him?

It was more to show your point that we don't need anymore dross, we've done plenty of signing for the sake of it in the past and it's not been any real benefit.

Absolutely, although dross does not begin to describe some of our past signings.

Avondhu star

Quote from: bennydorano on September 01, 2017, 05:47:22 PM
Ronni bought some stinkers. Johnny Hayes from Aberdeen tho, what's that about?
All that was about was removing any possible threat from the rest. Flog him off to Sheffield Wednesday or someone else in due course
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

stew

Quote from: Hectic on September 02, 2017, 09:11:15 AM

When you look at the players he has signed as well as what we had we have some real potential in Tierney, Ntcham, Roberts, Simunovic, Dembele and Edouard.

Add to that Brown, Griffiths, Sinclair and Rogic and we are getting pretty close to a high quality squad.

I still think we are missing a top centre back and right back though Lustig with his experience and international quality is not too shabby.

I still harbour doubts about Gordon but generally I can see Rodgers point in that if we are looking at the jigsaw it is getting there and with the right pieces we could have an excellent first eleven by our standards.

You cannot get a top quality centre back because you cant pay a top centre back, simples.

Hectic

Quote from: stew on September 07, 2017, 11:03:31 AM

You cannot get a top quality centre back because you cant pay a top centre back, simples.

Virgil VanDijk!!

I think the point is that rather than bring in some 28yr old from Bristol City or the like for a few million as a stop gap Rodgers would rather try and find quality in the lesser known markets with potential to develop into a top centre back.  Another Simunovic or Van Dijk would do me nicely but these type of guys are harder to source.

ned

Quote from: stew on September 07, 2017, 11:03:31 AM

Wow! Top class analysis. Celtic don't have £50m to spend on Kyle Walker or John Stones,  thank eff.
Would rather we operated in transfer market like we have for the past two years than piss money up against a wall.

illdecide

Well back to the bread & butter as BR calls it tonight, I've a feeling BR will be testing his squad out tonight which is a worry because we're away from home on a plastic pitch and there will be quite a few given tonight off with Tuesday's game in mind. Celtic do seem to have a good enough squad and i suppose if BR has his faith in them then so should we but...Ahh never mind a 3-0 win tonight and get ready for Tuesday nite ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Illdecide.I met Moussa Dembele by pure chance in Celtic Shop in Argyll Street on Wednesday.Top lad! Have also ordered Brendan's autobiography,if you do so before 14th September, you can get your name printed in supporters section!

Main Street

From english class way back in the days of secondary school, one of the short stories from the Irish compendium that I recall, was about vanity and one elderly man's obsession about what his obituary would say about him.

T Fearon