Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Mr Westmeath are not really above us. Laois are. Westmeath are the other yo yo team. If we played Laois 10 times we would beat them quite a few - and they would us too.

Marty I think there's a narrative in what you say tbh. We challenged in a significant number of ai semis against provincial champions. We wouldn't have the players to be at that level now. It may have been one off games but I don't think that matters.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 10, 2022, 08:00:42 AM
Mr Westmeath are not really above us. Laois are. Westmeath are the other yo yo team. If we played Laois 10 times we would beat them quite a few - and they would us too.

Marty I think there's a narrative in what you say tbh. We challenged in a significant number of ai semis against provincial champions. We wouldn't have the players to be at that level now. It may have been one off games but I don't think that matters.

Currently and I'm talking previous 4 or 5 years Westmeath and Laois have out performed us when it matters, so in my book they are playing better...

Ideally you could have a tier with Westmeath, Laois, Antrim, Offaly, Kerry, one of the other top tier teams (possibly Dublin) and maybe one of Carlow/Kildare... That would set up a competitive Championship ... For Antrim to flourish they need to generate juvenile teams from under 14 up that are being exposed to top tier teams in the south, this is not just for the players but for coaches to work out going forward how do we compete, how do we develop and see what is being done and what is required...

By the time it gets to minor its too late, there is obviously not enough work being done at those levels either at school or at the club to match that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I was thinking recently the Joe McDonagh isn't actually as competitive as it was. I think that might be, in part, due to two "lesser" teams in Leinster. Tbh I look at Laois and Westmeath in Leinster and worry if we go next year it will happen to us. If Laois and Westmeath were in the McDonagh plus the current teams then like you say it would be very competitive. It's a difficult problem to solve for the GAA - I think there is just a top tier and the rest are a good bit below it but then they have to be given a chance but then if they give them a chance they get hammered and so it continues...

Westmeath seem to have really dropped this last year or two.  Carlow too. It takes too much energy to sustain that level when you are just that bit below it. Laois just seem to always be able to stay that level. We do the same too. I would worry if Gleeson goes that would happen.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2022, 08:54:40 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 10, 2022, 08:00:42 AM

Currently and I'm talking previous 4 or 5 years Westmeath and Laois have out performed us when it matters, so in my book they are playing better...

Ideally you could have a tier with Westmeath, Laois, Antrim, Offaly, Kerry, one of the other top tier teams (possibly Dublin) and maybe one of Carlow/Kildare... That would set up a competitive Championship ... For Antrim to flourish they need to generate juvenile teams from under 14 up that are being exposed to top tier teams in the south, this is not just for the players but for coaches to work out going forward how do we compete, how do we develop and see what is being done and what is required...

By the time it gets to minor its too late, there is obviously not enough work being done at those levels either at school or at the club to match that

I think Offaly minors showed why they gave a good Antrim minor team a working...

They're favourites for the Leinster title, but my point still stands with Antrim in particular but also "tier 2" counties in general that exposure at the highest level needs to happen at all age groups and on a consistent basis.
Geography plays a part, but other than a friendly here and there the structures aren't in place to facilitate it.

imtommygunn

When your teams are in tier 2 or 3 already by 16/17 then to up that level would be a massive effort. I don't know what age group they get put into the B or C at but that'd be interesting to know.

Geography probably a good factor up until that age. When sambo and woody had those good minor teams they were flat out down the country getting exposure to the southern teams and IIRC had big expenses on the back of it but that is what you need up here.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Antrim on May 11, 2022, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 05, 2022, 08:16:03 AM
Quote from: Antrim on May 04, 2022, 04:48:53 PM
So-called ref accused him of using foul and abusive language towards him. I was there. I didn't hear it.

Instead of looking for someone to blame, why not be an adult about it and believe the other adult. He was there and volunteered his time so the match could go ahead.

Pretty sure no adult is going to send a kid off that did absolutely nothing.

Same attitude to everything it seems at the moment, 'my wee johnny wouldn't do that' kids are kids and they make mistakes but if they never have any consequences then are they ever going to learn.

Well you don't know the context so until you do you should hold back on. I think it was 100% personal so there you go.

Did the stand in ref know your lad? You have mentioned it being personal. Which shouldn't come into it.

Though I did have a game before and while the kid wasn't being over the top he was just questioning everything and I just sent him off, told him this is soft but hopefully he'll learn to keep quiet.. Give ya a sore head after a while  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 12, 2022, 03:10:05 PM
You certainly have me convinced.
It is incomprehensible that a young fella would tell his father a lie about something he was accused of doing.
And totally believable that a referee would pick on a random kid, make up that he used foul and abusive language in order to send him off.

Refs stand in refs are a bloody disgrace.

Fixed that

imtommygunn

Big win against Meath in a match that didn't really look like a contest at all. Even with Clarke and McManus missing too. The Kerry game is a nothing game now too.

I am not sure if we play Offaly for certain now? I think if Carlow beat Offaly and Kerry beat us maybe score difference would come in?

Good position to be in and we've a lot of injuries so the last game really shouldn't matter that much to us though be nice to get a win anyway.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 09:05:48 AM
Big win against Meath in a match that didn't really look like a contest at all. Even with Clarke and McManus missing too. The Kerry game is a nothing game now too.

I am not sure if we play Offaly for certain now? I think if Carlow beat Offaly and Kerry beat us maybe score difference would come in?

Good position to be in and we've a lot of injuries so the last game really shouldn't matter that much to us though be nice to get a win anyway.

Give the squad a game, make sure that by doing so all players are buying in and getting some action, the final, I'd rather not get Offaly they probably feel they owe us one..

The final isn't a gimmie so hopefully we can see it through and get back at playing div 1 and Senior hurling, the standard is incredible at that level, yesterdays game the pace in the first half was relentless, the accuracy at times brilliant.

Be interesting to see how Clare push on and Waterford under pressure!

imtommygunn

Nothing is a gimme but I don't think we have a choice but to give squad players time. Neil McManus was sub goalie at the weekend was how thin we've got lol.

There's been a lot of games in quick succession so it was always going to test a squad.

Clare and Waterford game doesn't mean anything to Clare though but Munster has got very interesting. Also after looking at the results in the leinster good to see Westmeath getting a result because it was looking like teams at that level were just whipping boys and tbh to a point still are.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 09:32:09 AM
Nothing is a gimme but I don't think we have a choice but to give squad players time. Neil McManus was sub goalie at the weekend was how thin we've got lol.

There's been a lot of games in quick succession so it was always going to test a squad.

Clare and Waterford game doesn't mean anything to Clare though but Munster has got very interesting. Also after looking at the results in the leinster good to see Westmeath getting a result because it was looking like teams at that level were just whipping boys and tbh to a point still are.

Was just going to say that about Westmeath, who are at our level I feel, so well done on them and that may provide some comfort for whoever goes up

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2022, 09:35:24 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 16, 2022, 09:32:09 AM

Was just going to say that about Westmeath, who are at our level I feel, so well done on them and that may provide some comfort for whoever goes up

I'd have Antrim above Westmeath as much as i've a bit of sick in my throat saying it.  ;D

Still need to win the final, most likely to be Offaly in a neutral venue, but all the best with that.

imtommygunn

We struggle with these big physical teams JC. I would hope we would beat Westmeath but far from a given. Yeah Offaly will have plenty of motivation to beat us. Hopefully the few weeks until the final gives us a full panel to choose from.

BrendanAntrim

Sure isn't it Croke Park?

ardtole

Do the winners of this years Joe McDonagh still get a route to the All Ireland Series, or has that been abandoned?