Oscar nominations

Started by mouview, January 22, 2009, 03:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Announced a short while ago with no great surprises;

In Best Picture, Slumdog Millionaire will be favourite with the rest of the field roughly equal; with Obama in the White House America will like feel-good so the favourite will be justified IMHO.

Best director - Danny Boyle for the above; next favourite will be David Fincher for Benjamin Button I'd say

Best Actor; Mickey Rourke has been flagged for a long time now but Sean Penn has good reviews for Milk and the veteran Frank Langella will be a very good outside bet - prediction Langella

Best Actress - Kate Winslet is clear favourite here, especially since the Globes. Anne Hathaway has momentum but Winslet to get it.

Supporting actor; good field here - Philip Seymour Hoffman is always watchable and Josh Brolin improves every time out. Heath Ledger for his schockly turn in Batman has the wind behind him though and will get it. Cue tears and faux emotion.

Supporting actress; weak enough line-up. Tomei has one so Penelope Cruz may get it. Forgettable sector this week.

Animated feature; Wall-E

Tony Baloney

Haven't seen Kate Winslet's nominated film, but if she doesn't win it this year at the sixth(?) attempt she may give up!

nifan

Poor old Peter OToole was nominated 8 times and never won.

GalwayBayBoy

Best picture

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Best director

Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry - The Reader
David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant - Milk

Best actor

Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Best actress

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Melissa Leo - Frozen River
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Kate Winslet - The Reader

Best supporting actress

Amy Adams - Doubt
Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis - Doubt
Taraji P Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

Best supporting actor

Josh Brolin - Milk
Robert Downey Jr - Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Best foreign language film

Revanche - Austria
The Class - France
The Baader Meinhof Complex - Germany
Departures - Japan
Waltz With Bashir - Israel

Best animated feature film

Bolt
Kung f* Panda
Wall-E

Best adapted screenplay

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Best original screenplay

Happy-Go-Lucky
Milk
Wall-E
In Bruges
Frozen River

leenie

paul newman, one of the many big names that passed away in the past yr was nominated 9 times and only one oscar for 1986 the color of money.

Art director Roland Anderson was nominated a record 15 times without a win. Composer Alex North also had 15 nominations without a competitive win but in 1985 Mr. North received an Honorary Oscar statuette.

Peter O'Toole, Richard Burton, Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Charlie Chaplin and Harrison Ford are just a few of those who were nominated but never won an Academy Award (some have received Honorary Oscars).
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

nifan

there is a sound guy who has been nominated 20 times and not won.

Main Street

Best supporting actor

Under normal circumstances this actor would have run away with this particular award

Puckoon

Quote from: nifan on January 22, 2009, 06:02:54 PM
there is a sound guy who has been nominated 20 times and not won.

Obviously he's not that sound.

ONeill

Quote from: Main Street on January 22, 2009, 06:25:58 PM
Best supporting actor

Under normal circumstances this actor would have run away with this particular award

Stole the show. Could've watched much more of him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mouview

Quote from: leenie on January 22, 2009, 05:50:22 PM
paul newman, one of the many big names that passed away in the past yr was nominated 9 times and only one oscar for 1986 the color of money.

Art director Roland Anderson was nominated a record 15 times without a win. Composer Alex North also had 15 nominations without a competitive win but in 1985 Mr. North received an Honorary Oscar statuette.

Peter O'Toole, Richard Burton, Cary Grant, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Charlie Chaplin and Harrison Ford are just a few of those who were nominated but never won an Academy Award (some have received Honorary Oscars).

Harrison Ford worthy of an Oscar...!!!!  Anyway, add to that list Charles Laughton, Orson Welles (as an actor), Raymond Massey, while Robert Mitchum was never even nominated.

ziggysego

Kevin Smith should have got an Oscar for his role as Silent Bob.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Not sure i could listen to Kate Winslet wail and blubber her way through an acceptance speech. I have a feeling she would make Gwyneth Paltrow look like an amateur. . . . . . .
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on January 22, 2009, 07:32:56 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 22, 2009, 06:25:58 PM
Best supporting actor

Stole the show. Could've watched much more of him.

The lad was about the only good thing in the film. Reminded me of Hugh Laurie's character in House!

Tony Baloney

I'm astonished Brad Pitt got a nod as he makes trees look animated. Hollywood has a thing though for dishing out Oscars to people who age, lose weight or alter their appearance for a role as if it is the same thing as acting. Also if you happen to be gay and in something connected to the Holocaust you're a shoo in!

ONeill

In Bruges slipped in under the radar for Best original screenplay
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.