Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Leipzig are known to come at you from the very start, at home they haven't lost this year I don't think, drew 3-3 with Bayern at the weekend and needed a result against Utd, didn't watch the game but you'd have went for 4 at the back 5 midfield and one up front and played on the counter?

The main thing going out on the pitch would have been, get it to half time scoreless ffs

What was the formation?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2020, 08:56:39 AM
Leipzig are known to come at you from the very start, at home they haven't lost this year I don't think, drew 3-3 with Bayern at the weekend and needed a result against Utd, didn't watch the game but you'd have went for 4 at the back 5 midfield and one up front and played on the counter?

The main thing going out on the pitch would have been, get it to half time scoreless ffs

What was the formation?

3 CB's - Maguire Lindelof & Shaw
2 Wing Backs - AWB and Telles
2 Holding CM - Matic McTominay
Fernandes given a free ish role with Rashford and Greenwood up front

Bord na Mona man

For such a defensive set up (on paper anyway) some of the positional play was woeful. AWB being too narrow and miles off Angelino caused big problems early on.
I suspect that him, Shaw and Maguire are not adaptable enough to be easily switch defensive formations easily.

I also doubt that Ferguson would have stuck with De Gea for so long with him clearly out of sorts. He made the big call with Jim Leighton in 1990 and Ole should have promoted Henderson by now.
The Pogba saga is another that will cause problems. The bigger problem for the player, club and a hungry agent is that there won't be a queue of suitors willing to pay big money.

nrico2006

De Gea wasn't shockingly slow at all, maybe could slabber at him for turning his face when he was expecting contact but if you look at the goal again you would be expecting Maguire to clear it.  There wasn't much time for De Gea to react from the moment Maguire inexplicably decided to let it run, and the ball was closer to the attacker than De Gea yet De Gea got near it but wasn't big enough.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Another diabolical performance and they've been pretty much weekly since the season started, if we'd started the seasons with the same squad that started last season we'd be in the bottom 6.

Ole wasn't backed enough in the summer to make a title challenge, we don't have the squad to challenge City, Liverpool & Chelsea but we should be doing better then we are. The league form has been appalling, moments of brilliance due to the number of top attacking players we've got has got us out of trouble.

I was all up for giving him time, he's done well in the transfer market, has paid far too much for Maguire & Wan Bisaka but you can balance that out with getting Cavani, Fernandes, VDB & Telles for £90m. This seasons form isn't good enough though, we made excuses for him in the Palace game with the fitness levels but Brighton gave us a chasing for long periods of the game and they should have won. We downed tools against Spurs, were extremely negative at home to Chelsea & Arsenal and barely created a chance in either games and weren't much better against West Brom. Then there was the calamity against West Ham and we've only played 10 league games, we've only played well in 2 league games. We've conceded 27 goals in 16 league and CL matches too, so many poor goals in there.

I'm sure there's a few saying give him time which would be fine if he had a track record to back him up but he doesn't, blind faith is the only logical reason for backing Ole as there can be no justification for it.

J70

Yes, but he will now go out and beat City at the weekend, and all will be well in the world again.

johnnycool

Utd's propensity for going behind away from home and then hoping to turn it around has caught up with them.

Five premiership games in a row they've done that and have gotten away with it up until last night.

Surely they've looked at that before now.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: johnnycool on December 09, 2020, 12:00:35 PM
Utd's propensity for going behind away from home and then hoping to turn it around has caught up with them.

Five premiership games in a row they've done that and have gotten away with it up until last night.

Surely they've looked at that before now.

I was listening to the radio last night before the game and there was a woman on who played for Uniteds women's team. She said that they me of Oles main strengths was to be able to see the problems and change the game as it was developing. Make an impact with Subs the way he did as a player....like what the actual f**k?!?  A great super sub so he knows how to change a game? 

The team was set up last night not to lose. 5 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders. There was no pace around the middle and they were pulled apart. AWB may be a great last ditch tackler but hasn't a brain from what I can see. He was lost in a new system and was badly exposed as a consequence

Farrandeelin

Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2020, 11:55:33 AM
Yes, but he will now go out and beat City at the weekend, and all will be well in the world again.

More than likely. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Denn Forever

The players didn't seem to know how to play the system.  Wing back reveted  to center back mode leaving their left back  score a rehearsed move.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2020, 10:08:14 AM
De Gea wasn't shockingly slow at all, maybe could slabber at him for turning his face when he was expecting contact but if you look at the goal again you would be expecting Maguire to clear it.  There wasn't much time for De Gea to react from the moment Maguire inexplicably decided to let it run, and the ball was closer to the attacker than De Gea yet De Gea got near it but wasn't big enough.

Keeper HAS to second guess defender in event of f**k ups. De Gea was rooted to his line when he shouldn't have been. Exact same way Maguire shouldn't have been taking any chances if he got a shout from Dr Gea and should have hoofed it. Fun as it is to criticise Maguire given how shite he is, the way he left it suggests to me he got a shout from De Gea.

nrico2006

Quote from: gallsman on December 09, 2020, 01:20:59 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 09, 2020, 10:08:14 AM

Keeper HAS to second guess defender in event of f**k ups. De Gea was rooted to his line when he shouldn't have been. Exact same way Maguire shouldn't have been taking any chances if he got a shout from Dr Gea and should have hoofed it. Fun as it is to criticise Maguire given how shite he is, the way he left it suggests to me he got a shout from De Gea.

A keeper should be prepared to second guess but in last nights scenario where a ball was rolling in the path of his CB, there really shouldn't be any other outcome other than a clearance there.  The only reason I can see for Maguire doing that is due to what you mentioned regarding De Gea giving a shout.  If tht has happened, the fault is all De Geas.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J70

Looked to me like Maguire should have been able to get to it, even with the deflection, but his reactions/agility just weren't there for whatever reason. Maybe there WAS a shout.

DeGea looked like he thought Kleivert would try to slide the ball under him along the ground, and thus set himself up to stop the ball with his feet. Of course he then looks stupid when Kleivert flicks it up over the other side of him.

I'd blame Maguire more than DeGea.

Unless the shout came, of course!

thebigfella

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 09, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
The players didn't seem to know how to play the system.  Wing back reveted  to center back mode leaving their left back  score a rehearsed move.

Is this not the same system used to beat PSG in Paris?

Maroon Manc

Maguire possibly could have got there but clearly De Gea has got to do better, just add it to the long list of mistakes he's made in recent years but once again its another goal that a well organised team doesn't concede.

United have plenty of players back, clearly outnumber Leipzig yet we've have ended up with 3 of their attackers up against 2 United players in and around the box after a couple of passes, no moment of brilliance but just another speculative ball across the box; I really don't know what their doing on the training pitch but its not good enough.