2021 Schedule - All Ireland Championship wrapped up by mid-July

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, December 19, 2020, 04:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: rosnarun on April 09, 2021, 04:30:37 PM
Mayo are coming strong with a new team and reached  AIF on first attempt . the skys the Limit for these Guys

The Mayo team that started the AI final last December had 4 new players ( Oisin Mullin, Eoghan McLaughlin, Tommy Conroy,Ryan O’Donoghue) the rest already had the experience of playing in the latter stages of the championship and since then two starters Barrett and Clarke have retired.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

Quote from: Louther on April 09, 2021, 03:12:52 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on April 09, 2021, 02:00:42 PM
Quote from: Louther on April 08, 2021, 08:26:14 PM
League semi finals and finals a bit odd. Plus relegation play offs. This to line up the split championship next year? Or to give more games, not allow challenge games?

What is odd is that after semi finals played, if one of the finalists has a championship game the weekend after the final, they title is shared and final not played. Seems a bit pointless.

I enjoyed the knock out last year and happy to go again. With prospect of no crowds, would have bit of craic and opportunity to say feck it, all in open draw across everyone. But maybe the success of Cavan and Tipp warranted keeping the provinces again.

League semi-finals and relegation play-offs are needed to sort out promotion and relegation.

Yes and no. Top and bottom could go up and down. Would be harsh given only 3 games. Div 1 doesn't need semi final and final. Belittles it if you plan for finals but then say it's shared anyway if they playing the next weekend.

As you say, it would be harsh considering the leagues are split into north and south. For example, the two best teams in division 3 could be in the north section and only one of them would be able to get promoted. Something similar could happen for relegation. For the sake of an extra game it makes more sense to have semi-finals and relegation playoffs.

Itchy

From the Bunker

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2021, 08:04:03 PM
Armagh18, You contradict yourself in the above paragraph. True Mayo had a good side, but the results tell of nothing other than a procession of dominance by Dublin - 8 League wins in a row and 6 wins and 2 draws in Championship from 2013-2020. That's 16 times both counties met between 2013-2020. Dublin have won 14 times, 2 Draws and 0 losses!
please remove the  the green and red from your Avatar ya traitor .
Mayo are coming strong with a new team and reached  AIF on first attempt . the skys the Limit for these Guys

Apologies for bursting your bubble. Hearing the truth can be often tough. Just goes to show you how well the media and the GAA have disguised the AI championship the last decade. I was blind also, in the past.  Mayo circa 2013-2017 were very good. So good they actually disguised how far ahead Dublin are anymore.

Will not be easy to get as good a group of players of that quality again. Look at Armagh and Tyrone struggles since the 00's.

macker15

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 10, 2021, 08:06:52 AM
Armagh18, You contradict yourself in the above paragraph. True Mayo had a good side, but the results tell of nothing other than a procession of dominance by Dublin - 8 League wins in a row and 6 wins and 2 draws in Championship from 2013-2020. That's 16 times both counties met between 2013-2020. Dublin have won 14 times, 2 Draws and 0 losses!

Apologies for bursting your bubble. Hearing the truth can be often tough. Just goes to show you how well the media and the GAA have disguised the AI championship the last decade. I was blind also, in the past.  Mayo circa 2013-2017 were very good. So good they actually disguised how far ahead Dublin are anymore.

Will not be easy to get as good a group of players of that quality again. Look at Armagh and Tyrone struggles since the 00's.

Yerra

Eire90

what a joke so no league final if one team  has a game the week after so why not do 1st in each  group only play in final and scrap the semis if thats the case

Captain Obvious

Monday, April 19

Morning Ireland: Munster | Football @ 7.30 Hurling @ 8.30
6.01 News: Connacht Football Draw

Tuesday, April 20

Morning Ireland: Leinster | Football @ 7.30 Hurling @ 8.30
6.01 News: Ulster Football Draw

Louther

Mother of God, 2 days and 6 separate draws. Talk about pulling teeth. It's not that big of a deal, just draw the bloody names out and move on.

rosnarun

I don't care what you think just don't pretend to be a Mayo Fan, Armagh and Tyrone troubles are Irrelevant to the current mayo team .
The Mayo team have managed to Crossover a generation which armagh in particular failed to Do  , At leat Tyrone have kept Dining at the top table and it will be very interesting to see if Mickey harte was more of a help or hindrance.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Lar Naparka

Quote from: macker15 on April 10, 2021, 06:39:12 PM

Yerra
Now,now a bit of linguistic correctness is called for here. Arra is what you should use in future.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Quote from: rosnarun on April 13, 2021, 12:46:47 PM

I don't care what you think just don't pretend to be a Mayo Fan, Armagh and Tyrone troubles are Irrelevant to the current mayo team .
The Mayo team have managed to Crossover a generation which armagh in particular failed to Do  , At leat Tyrone have kept Dining at the top table and it will be very interesting to see if Mickey harte was more of a help or hindrance.

Mayo have managed to cross over a generation based on what? Getting relegated from Division One? Getting to an AI final beating Leitrim, Roscommon, Galway and Tipperary? Getting beat in the final by a Dublin team playing in second gear?

It's not that I'm not a Mayo fan, more I'm not really a fan of the Intercounty game with a Financially advantaged Dublin anymore. You are blindly pegging your hopes on handful of new players. We also have quite a few decent lads who will be coming to the end in the next year or two. 

seafoid

How can anyone be interested in the football this year? The Dubs have been taking the piss for several years. I don't care how good they are. There is no competition worth taking about. The all Ireland final is a turkey shoot.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2021, 08:19:59 PM
How can anyone be interested in the football this year? The Dubs have been taking the piss for several years. I don't care how good they are. There is no competition worth taking about. The all Ireland final is a turkey shoot.

Loads interested. A lot more to All Ireland championship than just who wins it. I'm also looking forward to the start of the NFL next month and hopefully the underage competitions gets the green light for go soon.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2021, 08:19:59 PM
Bit of interest in our local squabble in Connacht, also Ulster's squabble.
Leinster and AI....never mind
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macker15

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 13, 2021, 08:04:02 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 13, 2021, 12:46:47 PM

Mayo have managed to cross over a generation based on what? Getting relegated from Division One? Getting to an AI final beating Leitrim, Roscommon, Galway and Tipperary? Getting beat in the final by a Dublin team playing in second gear?

It's not that I'm not a Mayo fan, more I'm not really a fan of the Intercounty game with a Financially advantaged Dublin anymore. You are blindly pegging your hopes on handful of new players. We also have quite a few decent lads who will be coming to the end in the next year or two.

You were quiet when Mayo beat financially advantaged dubs in 2012 and 2006. Cillian O'Connor missed two scoreable frees to win 2016 and 2017. Lee Keegan kicking ball into keeper hand when 5 points and Mikey Sweeney cost.ye in 2015 games.  Donal Vaughan red mist cost ye 2017 final too
Not forgetting Cormac Reilly riding ye against Kerry in 2014 and James Horan sideline blunders in  2012 and 13 finals. Mayo will be back. Ye were transition last year and beat Roscommon and Galway handy enough.