Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: Tubberman on June 07, 2021, 12:15:58 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 07, 2021, 10:06:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2021, 09:24:55 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 05, 2021, 08:00:04 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2021, 05:13:20 PM
Makes sense. And if that's the case with media, then Brolly would be in trouble every week in his columns.

Going on about I was talking to this Mayo/Dublin/Tyrone player, and he said X, Y and Z, when it's clearly obvious he didn't meet said player nor did they say XY or Z. He said similar in the Claire Byrne interview. Gaslighting as it's best.  He's an absolute bullshitter.

That is a crazy post.

Your point is that Brolly's contribution to the Byrne show was similar to his claimed (real or imagined) with Mayo footballers. In what way was it similar?

You say it was gaslighting at its best. So who was he attempting to gaslight? How was he doing it? And what position where they being gaslit into adopting?

He said on CB he knows some Tory politicians that loathes Ulster Protestants. Which Tories? How many did you ask? Did he get the opinion of every tory politician? Do they hate every single Ulster Protestant? He continually does this sort of thing to reinforce his argument. So basically, this is not my opinion, it's the truth of many others as well (which I've made up), but gives more credence to what I'm saying.

He continually did this sort of thing on TSG and in his columns.

I could make up anything about say, supporters of a certain county. It could be a county I don't like anyway, and say something along the lines of .. ah sure they're all a bunch of b******s. And every time I go somewhere in Ireland, for work, travel, sport, etc..... anyone I've spoke to has also said, oh aye those f*****s! All a bunch of b*******s! ... so there you have it. Those county's supporters are clearly a bunch of b*******s, everyone thinks so.

You could use that argument for any political commentator who ever refers to "sources" within political parties when stating a point.
Brolly saying that someone in what ever camp said something to him is as legitimate as Laura Keunssberg saying senior sources in the Tory part told her something. It's common practice and if every analyst or reporter did name their sources those same sources would soon dry up.

In so far as the Claire Byrne show, it seemed like Brolly was trying to set context to the comments Campbell had made earlier for those in ROI not already aware of the ilk of the man or the party he represents. CB didn't set that context and wouldn't allow Brolly to either which could mean the the viewers were left thinking the GC view of the situation in NI as being the common view, which obviously isn't the case. You could argue that CB/RTE had an agenda to portray a certain view with no balance.
What ever people think of Brolly, I don't believe anything he was saying on that topic was factually incorrect and there's plenty of evidence in the media to support that.

Would CB cut off a commentator who was raising comments about SF if there was no SF representative on the panel? I'm not sure she would, but who knows.

Whatever about whether Claire Byrne was right or wrong to cut him off (I was delighted personally!), I don't see what the legal claim could be, if the case relates to that incident at all.

I'd prefer to have heard what he was going to say in full. The problem with Brolly is that he does speak a lot of sense but the manner in which he delivers his point rubs a lot of people up the wrong way.
No idea what the legal claim would be either. I'd guess it has to be on some technicality of RTE regulations being breached.

TabClear

I'd be willing to bet it will be "settled" before it gets to the courts. Joe is really a tiresome, egotistical man. As has been said here multiple times, its all about him and his constant whining and talking over people should have been nipped in the bud well before he was taken off TSG. That being said he is clearly playing a game and has worked out how to maximise his commercial returns through controversy. He is best ignored in my view (and yes I do see the irony in commenting about him!  :D)

BennyCake

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 07, 2021, 10:06:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2021, 09:24:55 PM
He said on CB he knows some Tory politicians that loathes Ulster Protestants. Which Tories? How many did you ask? Did he get the opinion of every tory politician? Do they hate every single Ulster Protestant? He continually does this sort of thing to reinforce his argument. So basically, this is not my opinion, it's the truth of many others as well (which I've made up), but gives more credence to what I'm saying.

He continually did this sort of thing on TSG and in his columns.

I could make up anything about say, supporters of a certain county. It could be a county I don't like anyway, and say something along the lines of .. ah sure they're all a bunch of b******s. And every time I go somewhere in Ireland, for work, travel, sport, etc..... anyone I've spoke to has also said, oh aye those f*****s! All a bunch of b*******s! ... so there you have it. Those county's supporters are clearly a bunch of b*******s, everyone thinks so.

You could use that argument for any political commentator who ever refers to "sources" within political parties when stating a point.
Brolly saying that someone in what ever camp said something to him is as legitimate as Laura Keunssberg saying senior sources in the Tory part told her something. It's common practice and if every analyst or reporter did name their sources those same sources would soon dry up.

In so far as the Claire Byrne show, it seemed like Brolly was trying to set context to the comments Campbell had made earlier for those in ROI not already aware of the ilk of the man or the party he represents. CB didn't set that context and wouldn't allow Brolly to either which could mean the the viewers were left thinking the GC view of the situation in NI as being the common view, which obviously isn't the case. You could argue that CB/RTE had an agenda to portray a certain view with no balance.
What ever people think of Brolly, I don't believe anything he was saying on that topic was factually incorrect and there's plenty of evidence in the media to support that.

Would CB cut off a commentator who was raising comments about SF if there was no SF representative on the panel? I'm not sure she would, but who knows.

The video I watched, Campbell didn't say anything about Irish language, the GAA or about LGBT issues. So why did Brolly bring them up?

From the short time Brolly was talking, he came up with nothing new. The same old shite. We've heard it all before. It was just a tirade against unionists and the DUP.

yellowcard

Quote from: smelmoth on June 05, 2021, 04:47:51 PM
What is the basis of the case?

Brolly has gone down in the estimation of one poster for taking a case based upon the Claire Byrne show debacle. But that poster doesn't even know if the case is about the Claire Byrne show.

He behaving like a jilted lover according to another poster. Does that poster know the basis of the case?

Another poster hopes he gets scorched. Do they know what the case is about?

For the record I don't know what the case is about and therefore have no view on its merits.

My own view of the Claire Byrne show is that it was handled badly by the presenter. Everything he said was true. Everything he said should have been allowable. It is plain incorrect for Redhand88 to claim that you cannot make critical comment of someone who isn't there to defend themselves. Watch any political debate and if you think that a politician can only be criticised if they are there to defend themselves then you are delusional. The fundamental rule that RedHand88 refers to does not exist.

If you criticise someone based upon evidence that is not in the public domain or if you imply a motive to a public action the presenter will normally say afterward that there is nobody here to give a counter view.

That isn't what happened here.

I simply stated that I dislike the strong culture of litigation and insurance claims that exist in Irish society. Joe Brolly has not suffered personal injury, psychological trauma or financial loss as a result of anything that occurred on Claire Byrnes show. And you're right I don't know if the litigation case is as a result of the Claire Byrne appearance but I think it would be reasonable to assume that this is the case. But that has nothing to do with my point about making legal claims to settle every dispute and falling out. I wouldn't have thought Joe was so thin skinned but I suspect that his sacking from RTE Sunday Game might be playing a part in this decision.

rodney trotter

God14

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 08, 2021, 08:23:11 PM
Brolly v Oisin  McConville  https://t.co/K5Ra4pfnVZ?amp=1

That was really entertaining, and I have to say McConville is rapidly becoming my favourite pundit.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: God14 on June 08, 2021, 08:42:57 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 08, 2021, 08:23:11 PM
Brolly v Oisin  McConville  https://t.co/K5Ra4pfnVZ?amp=1

That was really entertaining, and I have to say McConville is rapidly becoming my favourite pundit.

Definitely mine anyways. Hopefully we'll see more of him as we have to watch the games on TV this year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Main Street

Oisín is the heir apparent for the  manager position of Monaghan senior team.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I thought Oisín was good, then I heard the crap he came out with about why derry footballers are doing good(saying amongst other things guys are bypassing the hurling). There is no dual player on that team that hasnt been there years already. Lazy analysis.

Taylor

Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2021, 12:16:23 AM
Oisín is the heir apparent for the  manager position of Monaghan senior team.

Monaghan?

If any county surely it would be his own?

Have to say I like listening to him and Clarke & OSe.

The Gooch is hit and miss - maybe not as great a talker as the above 3

The Trap

Brolly spoofed some shite in that podcast.......does anybody believe have the stuff he says?

God14

He sure did.
Joe was in full deflect, spoof, and tangent mode as Oisin had his number. Brolly didn't seem to expect the attack and was unprepared. Oisin illuminated what a shite pundit he was, all soundbites, bitter attacks and rants.
Loved at the end when he pointed out to Joe, that he had answered the exact same question with 2 completely different answers. Within the space of 2 minutes 🤣
Ultimate spoofer Brolly

imtommygunn

At the start I didn't like mcconville but now I think he is probably the best about. Brolly isn't really an analyst. He's only there for entertainment.

Taylor

Brolly would never have expected that from McConville given how he waxes lyrically about Cross at every opportunity.

McConville said at the start when he was going into punditry he was going to tell it how it is - he certainly did there.

Expect Brolly to mark his card now and have a pop at Cross/McConville at some stage down the line.

Entertaining