Laois GAA needs urgent help

Started by Joeythelips, May 10, 2023, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

We are not the only ones blaming a County Board for a slip in standards. Here, Bernard Flynn has a go at the Meath County Board......

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/meath-legend-bernard-flynn-hits-out-at-royal-chiefs-over-decade-of-decline/a2105265459.html

Somehow, I suspect the Meath CB will react an awful.lot quicker than our crew.

High Fielder

It stings people in Meath. It means something. We have gone the other way, with Carlow and Wicklow. We'll settle for a very rare day in the sun. We're sending out under prepared teams across all grades in both codes. Mostly to be taught a lesson at some point. It's madness. And nobody cares. Not the GAA. Not the media. And not the CB. Demoralising and downright shameful. Personally I'd be happy if we didn't bother our arse. We're doing more harm than good at the moment

SCFC

https://laoisgaa.ie/shane-keegan-appointed-head-of-games-development-at-clg-laois/

The guy seems to be vey highly qualified. If he gets a few years in the post, you'd be hopeful he could get things moving in the right direction.

G@@

Quote from: SCFC on June 20, 2023, 09:39:06 AM
https://laoisgaa.ie/shane-keegan-appointed-head-of-games-development-at-clg-laois/

The guy seems to be vey highly qualified. If he gets a few years in the post, you'd be hopeful he could get things moving in the right direction.

Absolutely. A great appointment and it couldn't come at a better time. Keegan is well experienced and will have a strong network of contacts too. Hopefully he will bring others in on the scene too and create something good. But the County Board will need to back him with proper funding. Knowing Keegans nature he'll make a strong investment case in games development that the county board won't be able to back away from. Delighted for him, hope it goes well for him.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

ottoman

Quote from: SCFC on June 20, 2023, 09:39:06 AM

This could be a very good appointment, Keegan is driven and very well connected within the coaching world. My only concern is, would he get feed up dealing with the County Board? Ambitious people don't tend do well with Laois County board.

Laoisred

Hope it goes well for him and he can balance the workload. Not an easy task in the context of him managing a League of Ireland Football Club as well.

Chrimtain

Quote from: Laoisred on June 21, 2023, 10:04:33 AM
Hope it goes well for him and he can balance the workload. Not an easy task in the context of him managing a League of Ireland Football Club as well.

Surely he's not going to continue to work with Cobh?

Spiritof86

Quote from: Chrimtain on June 21, 2023, 12:02:49 PM
Quote from: Laoisred on June 21, 2023, 10:04:33 AM

Surely he's not going to continue to work with Cobh?

Staying with Cobh until end of season apparently .

mcwregor

Its been a few weeks now since our croke park humiliation. I haven't heard a word of any plans to address the issues with hurling and football in our county.
Maybe there's massive work going on behind the scenes that we will be public knowledge in the near future??

High Fielder

Unlikely. Just fill the vacant positions and kick on again. Depending on who takes over the footballers, it's possible that we'll have a much reduced panel next year. That prospect used to frighten me, but I'd rather see us default and field no team than take the annual beatings we're taking. In reality, there's no crisis management going on. There isn't even a crisis. Just rinse and repeat and hope for better next year. All a bit hopeless really

georgedoylesrightleg

anywan at convnetion last nite will seen why we are where weRe.

Zooming around

Quote from: georgedoylesrightleg on December 05, 2023, 08:35:25 AManywan at convnetion last nite will seen why we are where weRe.

What happened?

Chrimtain

What clubs are discouraging their players from representing Laois? Hurling or football or both?

clonadsane

Quote from: Chrimtain on December 05, 2023, 02:20:49 PMWhat clubs are discouraging their players from representing Laois? Hurling or football or both?
Would you blame them?

Ballygowen

Yes, most definitely would blame them. To discourage any young player from playing isn't good. It doesn't help anyone. County teams need everyone. Albeit in Laois the silverware might not be a certain, it still gives the player the opportunity to paly at he top level.