Laois GAA needs urgent help

Started by Joeythelips, May 10, 2023, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof86

[quoted

Tipp played only u16's against us,after 20 odd minutes, the scoreboard was putting up Tipp goals as points and at half time they turned off the scoreboard completely in Cashel, the scoreline was way worse than what was officially given

[/quote]

I heard that last week and genuinely couldn't believe it . Demoralising to hear .

clonadmad

Quote from: Spiritof86 on May 12, 2023, 01:31:13 PM
[quoted

Tipp played only u16's against us,after 20 odd minutes, the scoreboard was putting up Tipp goals as points and at half time they turned off the scoreboard completely in Cashel, the scoreline was way worse than what was officially given

I heard that last week and genuinely couldn't believe it . Demoralising to hear .
[/quote]

Imagine being a player and being sent out unprepared to get slaughtered and not just a once off

Young lads would be better off not going into panels than having to put up with these shambolic set ups

Spiritof86

Ah it's fecking heartbreaking for those young lads . Imagine going home to tell the family about representing the county and the scoreboard had to be turned off because they were getting beaten out the door .
Absolute bullshit organisational set ups with severely inadequate coaching in place . It's the ultimately the kids who are losing out here in Laois .

Zooming around

[quoted

[/quote]

So the 12-29 or whatever it was, was actually a lot more?? Holy Christ.

G@@

Quote from: Zooming around on May 12, 2023, 03:04:39 PM
Was it 29 goals and 12 points plus whatever they didn't chalk up on the scoreboard?

This is a horrendous state of affairs. To be honest though not surprising. Was in at the Setanta first night back the other night and my God, there are alot of chaps 10 to 11 years old that can barely strike a ball.
Now, some of these could be down to picking up the game only recently - but if it's not then it's very worrying to see how far back chaps are when compared to those in other counties at similar ages. Alot of work to do there.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

georgedoylesrightleg

many ex county players coaching setsnta?

Butch Cassidy

Is there a football equivalent of Setanta?

BallyroanAbbey

Quote from: redsetanta on May 12, 2023, 10:07:36 AM
I have very little knowledge of the in's and out's of county board business or who may or may not be the type(s) of individuals who would drive things on.

When our young minor hurlers starting competing well in the Leinster championship about 10 years ago or so we had Zoom involved with Setanta and Cheddar managing the minor team.

I would happily have both men involved in the running of hurling in the county from the youngest age.

Pay them for their time and give them a reasonably free hand in appointing coaches they want etc with a view to producing competitive underage hurling teams over the next few years with a goal of winning a minor leinster championship. . Both men have more than enough credit in the bank to get others involved. How many lads, former team mates and ex county players would turn down a few hours a week if asked by Critchley or Cheddar.

Would they want it though? Have they ever been asked?

I hear Critchley Cheddar and Rigney mentioned a lot as people who could help Laois hurling, which in theory I agree sounds great, however for the last 10 years they have stood by and watched Portlaoise do in Laois hurling what Offaly did at Intercounty level and fall asunder, so while it would be great to have them involved I certainly wouldn't be handing them over the keys to the county

Jd

Quote from: G@@ on May 12, 2023, 03:55:17 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on May 12, 2023, 03:04:39 PM
Was it 29 goals and 12 points plus whatever they didn't chalk up on the scoreboard?

This is a horrendous state of affairs. To be honest though not surprising. Was in at the Setanta first night back the other night and my God, there are alot of chaps 10 to 11 years old that can barely strike a ball.
Now, some of these could be down to picking up the game only recently - but if it's not then it's very worrying to see how far back chaps are when compared to those in other counties at similar ages. Alot of work to do there.
So when you saw these young lads struggling did you go over to whoever was in charge and offer to help out?? Maybe it's easier for people to give out about what they see on forums like this than actually try to get involved to improve things. And forgive me if you think I'm having a personal go at you cos I'm not. It goes for everyone. People talk about Offaly here the whole time but what Duignan got over there was a huge buy in from people who wanted to help out. Can we say that about Laois?. I know that our main teams are struggling to get people in to help yet a man who (1)obviously knows about hurling (2) Is in the COE for Setanta possibly with his own child and (3) Cares enough to comment online, isn't confident enough in his own abilities to go over and say that he'll help to get some of the kids striking properly. It may be a small thing but it everyone did a small bit the things would improve

Sir Alex7

According to a report in one of de tipp papers all de tipp papers were born in 2006 which i reckon means they weren't u16.. Looking at de laois team i say nearly half of them were u16.. They qualified for it by beating offaly and kildare both comfortably enough(they did get a beating by one of de cork teams).. Obviously its not good enough but it was de highest level of tat competition so they r ranked in the top 8 of de 38 teams entered

zoner

What makes the Laois situation even worse is a population increase of 30K in the last 20 years. We grew by half a Monaghan! And look at how effective they are with 30K less than us. Portlaoise should have 2 senior teams for both codes with the population there. The level their hurling team is at for for a town of 25K is shocking. If Portlaoise had their house in order and then pick the best of the small towns and villages we'd be somewhere further along in both codes.
I don't know what the problem is but when you see Kilkenny city with similar population of 26K with 3 senior hurling teams....it's a sickner. Don't even have one hurling team in Portlaoise anywhere near the standard of any of the 3 Kilkenny city teams.
It's so disappointing.

mcwregor

The County Board – Where to start with this?? The one thing that I have constantly said is that there is a lack of direction for our county teams at all grades. There doesn't ever seem to be any long term plan – Where do we want to be in 10 year's time?  How are we going to get there? We just seem to be plodding along hoping to come upon a team that we can follow. Instead of starting at the bottom (where we are) putting the blocks in place and building for the future. It took a while but the penny finally dropped in Offaly and they are now sowing seeds for a brighter future and even still they have a long, long way to travel. I asked the question when PJ Kelly was appointed – What legacy will he leave behind? What is he going to do to change our fortunes? Unfortunately I haven't seen anything different to previous Chairmen. Who is going to take on this challenge in Laois?? We need change – We need Action – And we need it now!!!

Head of games Development – GDA Coordinator – With the departure of Mike Henchy - This is a hugely important appointment. There is apathy around the games dept and they seem to have gotten the brunt of the blame for our academy squad's poor performances. Whether that is fair or not I don't know but we do need to be seeing the fruits of their work in the next few years.

In addition - Install Cheddar as Director of Hurling – Allow him to work with the new head of games development to grow and foster hurling from setanta to u20 level.

Development Squads - Head Hunt Proper Managers and Coaches for academy squads - They are out there. We need to seek funding for each academy squad individually. Treat these lads with respect and provide a professional set up for each squad. ENVA are on board supporting our squads but there should be further financial support from other companies. Again I believe those companies are out there.

Strength and Conditioning – We have a new S&C head in Laois GAA. He needs to sort out that end. We have Willie Maher complaining about the conditioning of our senior hurlers. Most of them have been playing senior hurling for at least a few years – why on Earth are they not conditioned properly to play county hurling??

U20 County Team – I believe we have a very talented group at this level. Brochan Reilly, Cathal Cuddy, Joe Pearson, Bobby Murphy, Cody Comerford, Tom Cuddy, Aaron Phelan, Colin Byrne, Jer Quinlan, Brian Duggan, James Cuddy, Ryan Quinlan, Ciaran Flynn, Lochlainn Conway – Those 14 players all saw some championship action this year and are underage next year and along with a few more that can make the step up we should have a nice team next year. They need a really good set up and while Ollie Hally hasn't been bad I feel this group needs a knew voice and a progressive management set up that can give them their best shot of being successful. This year's team while talented were muscled out of it by Westmeath. They need a good winter of S&C.

Setanta Programme – Fair play to Brendan Phelan. While there might be lads in there that can't hit the ball...they won't learn how to do it playing the xbox at home. There will be benefit from this. The interest is huge with well over 100 at both u10 and u11 groups. I think the plan is to have u12 and u13 next year which will bring the total numbers up to 500 across the 4 groups – fantastic! They will need a lead coordinator and administration for each group in my opinion. The whole thing needs a proper structure. Again I would head hunt lead coaches here to plan the sessions. I do believe if the set-up is good we will get the buy in and it will be a success. Hopefully that will start to be reflected in the development squads in the next few years.

The county board are predominantly from football clubs. The co board are ok with hurling at nothing in the county, they are used to it and expect the same.  The fact that football is at its lowest ebb for many years they might actually think about doing something about it and hopefully if they do we have to hope they won't exclude hurling in their plans.

Chrimtain

Fair play to Brendan Phelan is right.

The football side could do with someone doing a similar job.

I believe Brendan has a passion for Laois GAA in general. Now, he, in my opinion, with his passion and drive would make an ideal chairman of the CB.

clonadmad

Theres an onus in everyone in the clubs to step up too and sort out their coaching

A friend of mine from a traditional football county was involved in a football development squad here recently.

He was shocked at the standard of young lads that were being sent for trials and also being included on Panels

He said he could name the 4/5 clubs that were doing their coaching right based on the lads arriving in, the rest he said he was wondering what the hell they were doing in training

A complete lack of even the basics skills for that age group and level.

He described it a being like a first year maths teacher and lads coming in from the national schools, not being able to add or subtract.

clonadmad

Quote from: Sir Alex7 on May 13, 2023, 11:37:34 PM
According to a report in one of de tipp papers all de tipp papers were born in 2006 which i reckon means they weren't u16.. Looking at de laois team i say nearly half of them were u16.. They qualified for it by beating offaly and kildare both comfortably enough(they did get a beating by one of de cork teams).. Obviously its not good enough but it was de highest level of tat competition so they r ranked in the top 8 of de 38 teams entered

have you a link to that match report,please.