Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football

Started by APM, October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

Quote from: APM on October 02, 2018, 04:43:21 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/restrictions-on-handpasses-sinbin-gaa-standing-committee-on-playing-rules-proposes-five-changes-for-gaelic-football-37377081.html

Doubtless there will be much complaining by people that would prefer to watch paint dry!

IMO, Proposals 1 & 2 will reward (and encourage) defensive teams/strategies. I don't think they are good proposals at all.

Proposal 3 could be interesting, but again it may encourage teams to double/triple team big attackers to ensure that there are no clean catches in that area. The obvious criticism is that it'll make the game more like aussie rules. But I think this proposal is definitely worth looking at (and in conjunction with proposal 5 it could strongly encourage long fast ball into the forwards)

Proposal 4: I'm not really sure what the sin bin is trying to solve? A fella sin binned for 10 minutes for an incorrect black card offence could be worse than a fella replaced by black card sub? I'm not against the sin bin, but this rule certainly is not going to make the game a better spectacle. (It won't make it any worse either)

Proposal 5: This one definintely is worth looking at. It could open up the game a little bit but I'm not sure that 'forcing' goalkeepers to kick the 45 is a)fair or b) required. If teams are required to set up zonally then the kickouts will become lower risk to be kicked long. But this type of rule is certainly worth trialling.

Just my opinions lads!  ;)

APM

I could do a big long post, but haven't time.  Sin Bin was a great invention and should have been implemented years ago were it not for a few managers who threw the toys out of the pram.  Black card is a toothless penalty - particularly in the last five minutes of a tight game. 

trileacman

Quote from: APM on October 02, 2018, 05:08:02 PM
I could do a big long post, but haven't time.  Sin Bin was a great invention and should have been implemented years ago were it not for a few managers who threw the toys out of the pram.  Black card is a toothless penalty - particularly in the last five minutes of a tight game.

To be fair a sin bin will still be a toothless penalty in the last 5 mins of a game too. If your gonna savecthe team from losing it'll be a very if deterrent that puts you off.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Not convinced on the sin bin.
Who'll keep the times in a low level club League  match where the Ref is the only neutral?
More restrictions on hand throwing the better.
Will it be possible to kick the ball past the 45 if you're facing a strong gale or are u 14 or in Salthill?
As well as sidelines all place kicks should have to go forward I think.
The forward mark....have to think about that one.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrdeeds

So they've introduced a 5 yard kick pass or if needs be kick it back 30 yards to hold possession. Just put your quickest player in mf for kickout and let him run on to it. If steps rule was enforced and 2 man tackle outlawed most problems in game would be addressed.

J70

The kick-out one is interesting. On the one hand you could have masses of players sitting just inside the 45s, then rushing towards the area where the ball is headed on the kick-outs. However, with a hard, relatively low kick, the keeper should be able to pick out a midfielder before the cavalry arrives. Get a mark and then get it into the forward quickly.

APM

Quote from: trileacman on October 02, 2018, 05:11:50 PM
Quote from: APM on October 02, 2018, 05:08:02 PM

To be fair a sin bin will still be a toothless penalty in the last 5 mins of a game too. If your gonna savecthe team from losing it'll be a very if deterrent that puts you off.

Take last years AIF, when David Clarke was kicking out the ball and players were being fouled left right and centre.  Black cards should have been issued.  Think about the same scenario now with a Sin Bin and team down to 14 men and a spare man knocking about for the kickout.  Same with someone taking one for the team in the last 5 minutes.  Playing out the last 5 minutes of a tight game with a man down is a major deterrent.

magpie seanie

I've always been an advocate of implementing the current rules as being the starting point. As another poster mentioned the enforcement of the 4 step rule would eliminate a lot of problems and I'd add the handpass to that. Lads getting away with breaking that rule repeatedly too.

Proposal 1 - Difficult to know how this will work out. Possibly a little too conservative and hard to referee. Should maybe have gone for 2 or 1. Right idea though. Some seriously poor kickers of the O'Neill size 5 with multiple All Ireland medals.

Proposal 2 - A good idea and should actually be applied to all set plays.

Proposal 3 - Like this idea. The fascination with keeping possession might mitigate against it (can't understand why more teams don't actively exploit the new square ball rule for example) but it could work quite well. A lot of intercounty full backs will struggle here if good fielders are deployed in the scoring zone. 

Proposal 4 - seems sensible enough though now having to get 3 yellow cards might encourage more cynicism or card happy officials.

Proposal 5 - I see problems with it and to be honest after reading it several times don't fully understand it. Probably needs to be refined a little....should be quite easy for kicking team to retain possession on their own kickout.

The spirit of the proposals is good but I'd fear for refs....makes a tough job harder. Anything that makes it harder for a team to "control" the game like happens nowadays is to be welcomed though.

delgany

How will these proposals impact on underage  for example
On a really windy day , could have an underage team conceding possession/ 45 frees   for an entire half ?
Can club referees keep hand pass count going ?

mrdeeds

Corofin scored the goal of the year. A really quick move. 11 handpasses.

twohands!!!

Proposal 5 looks like bait that was included solely to fail at the consultation stage, so that some of the other proposals get through.

Dirty players everywhere will be delighted with the Sin Bin rule. Reducing the punishment for an individual who breaks the rules is definitely going to improve the game as a spectacle. >:(

There seems to be nothing much here in terms of discouraging defensive cynical play.

twohands!!!

Quote from: delgany on October 02, 2018, 06:04:05 PM
How will these proposals impact on underage  for example
On a really windy day , could have an underage team conceding possession/ 45 frees   for an entire half ?
Can club referees keep hand pass count going ?

Not just underage - lots of clubs have pitches near the coast.
Winning the coin toss on a windy day could give a side a major advantage.

LeoMc

Was proposal 5 not something that Brolly dreamed up a couple of years then never mentioned after it failed in a couple of trial games.
If the space between the 45's is empty bar 4 midfielders the game will become a series of uncontested kicks to the chest of a man running to the wings.  Keepers wont  need to be as accurate as Cluxton as they will have a larger clear area to pop the ball in to. Taken in conjunction with proposal 3 it means the traditional high fielders will be positioned on the edge of the square to recveive the pass from the mobile mid-fielder.

No issues with proposals 2 or 4 but fail to see what option 1 would add to the game.

mrdeeds

We could just add two more posts each end and an oval ball. Nearly there.