Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Two weeks ago I would have bet the ranch on Donegal in this game.
Now I think it will be toss up.
Was at the game last weekend rewatched them two nights ago.
Donegal V Kerry just seemed so much faster and was better skill level,

However,
For Donegal midfielder Magee has to be very very doubtful if not out, hamstring.
Other midfield McFadden came off hurt 5-7 minutes into second half, doubt if he will be fully fit for Saturday.
Throw in Paddy Mcbrearty who obviously hurt his hamstring, he pulled up a bit in the 62nd minute, did not touch the ball for the remaining  8 minutes, and 4 or 5 of injury time. In fact he was doing his utmost to stay away from the ball.
Donegal #2 also went off with an apparent injury,
So throw those plus Owen Ban Gallagher into the doubtful/out category and things have evened up a bit.

Still fancy Donegal, as Mayo at times looked shagged, two or three minutes to go in first half,
AOS gave a pass around midfield under the hoganstand, I looked up there were four Mayo players hands on hips walking towards the 70 yard lone, not one of them able to run on in support.

The actual line outs may tell the tale.
It should be an incredible occasion despite the best efforts of the overzealous H&C

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thewobbler on July 28, 2019, 03:54:45 PM
Kerry pushed up on the kickout as for the first time in a decade, they enjoyed an aerial superiority over Mayo, and wanted them to go long. It's also a decade since Mayo 'a full back line have been involved in short kick outs, as such has been their midfield's continued superiority during that time, that there has been no need for "tactical kick outs". So they don't look for space on kick outs like other full back lines do.

This is not a David Clarke problem. It's a Mayo problem, and Hennelly doesn't fix it. Kerry didn't work this out because of Buckley. They worked this out because they'd a look at Mayo's aerial options and realised they could dominate. Moran then got his tail up during the game.

Football is a lot simpler than the likes of you make out. You didn't need inside knowledge to play to your own team's strengths.

——

By the way, id love to see a Mayo Kerry AI final. There'd be 2 O'Sheas, Ruane and O'Connor would be on the field, and Mayo could would resume control of midfield again, no matter what plan Kerry come up with.
Couldn't agree more.
I don't think Cluxton would have more success with his kickouts that day if he was in Clarke's shoes. Mayo management didn't pull their weight either. I bet Cluxton has some covert system of signals to let the outfielders know in advance where the kickout is going to go before he takes it. Same as in rugby when the hooker uses code to let his jumpers know where he is going to throw the ball.
No Mayo half back or midfielder were showing fo the ball when Clarke did his run up to the ball. All were standing still. Kerry were reacting faster and crucially standing a step or two behind their markers so if the ball was to come their way. they'd be able to time their jump and this worked every time and  their Mayo counterparts never copped this on.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ck

Donegal to win this one handy. Mayo were bloody awful against Meath. 

Rudi

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 28, 2019, 10:10:59 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 28, 2019, 08:49:29 PM
A hash of a championship if a team who has lost 2 games makes an All Ireland semi final.

Of course it is! Add to that a group of amateur players asked to tog out 6 out of 7 weeks and not even in a AI semi final! Many who are carrying injuries.

Jez, we had a Kerry team in 1980 who had to only play 3 games to win an AI.

I agree, very unfair.

whitey

Quote from: ck on July 29, 2019, 11:41:28 AM

Therein lies the paradox.  Despite playing like absolute muck all year, they are in with a 50/50 chance of making the semi final. We all know they are well capable of putting it up to the best teams in the country if everything clicks. So far in 2019, they haven't clicked-they've creaked

joemamas

Quote from: joemamas on July 29, 2019, 12:07:12 AM
Two weeks ago I would have bet the ranch on Donegal in this game.
Now I think it will be toss up.
Was at the game last weekend rewatched them two nights ago.
Donegal V Kerry just seemed so much faster and was better skill level,

However,
For Donegal midfielder Magee has to be very very doubtful if not out, hamstring.
Other midfield McFadden came off hurt 5-7 minutes into second half, doubt if he will be fully fit for Saturday.
Throw in Paddy Mcbrearty who obviously hurt his hamstring, he pulled up a bit in the 62nd minute, did not touch the ball for the remaining  8 minutes, and 4 or 5 of injury time. In fact he was doing his utmost to stay away from the ball.
Donegal #2 also went off with an apparent injury,
So throw those plus Owen Ban Gallagher into the doubtful/out category and things have evened up a bit.

Still fancy Donegal, as Mayo at times looked shagged, two or three minutes to go in first half,
AOS gave a pass around midfield under the hoganstand, I looked up there were four Mayo players hands on hips walking towards the 70 yard lone, not one of them able to run on in support.

The actual line outs may tell the tale.
It should be an incredible occasion despite the best efforts of the overzealous H&C

I agree with the last part, and if the Meath #13 had taken an easy score to put them up by 3 in the second half, we would not be having this conversation.
however, If the players mentioned above, (two midfielders, and arguably their most accurate forward)don't start, would you feel the same.

Mayo4Sam14

Pre match entertainment has been announced, with people now coming in earlier for that does it allow for the increased capacity of 30k?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

joemamas

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 29, 2019, 01:31:09 PM
Pre match entertainment has been announced, with people now coming in earlier for that does it allow for the increased capacity of 30k?

what is it, celebrity (RTE' announcers) boxing match.

Maroon Manc

Who's on before the game?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 29, 2019, 01:35:26 PM

https://twitter.com/mayogaa/status/1155807683469107200?s=21

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 29, 2019, 01:45:13 PM

Hope there's increased capacity. Can't see it breaking the 30k mark though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 29, 2019, 03:13:02 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 29, 2019, 01:45:13 PM

Hope there's increased capacity. Can't see it breaking the 30k mark though.

Wasn't the word that a double header would allow for 30k because everyone wouldn't get there at the same time

Cunny Funt

As a reminder Donegal and Mayo both beat Meath by 9 points. Mayo scored 2-17 while Donegal scored 2-19.

Donegal at home v Meath.  57 mins played Meath 1-12 Donegal 1-11
Mayo in Croke park v Meath. 54 mins played Meath 0-12 Mayo 0-11

larryin89

We are 13/8 outsiders in a game we are playing at home . I'm not sure why people are shocked even offended when we some of us think we will be beat . On 2019 championship form I can't see how a case can even be made tbh , Roscommon beat us at home , Armagh should of beaten us , we are so poor in McHale park it's ridiculous for a start
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .