Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 10:24:59 AM
I cant believe all the whinging people are doing about The ref here , Jame clarke should have been black carded after about 2 mins if you care to rewind the video now that would have changed the GAme. and peobable 2 more could have got them . almost every time mayo got a free they were blocked from taking it and theis firectly cost them 2 points which would have made all the difference .
I was sitting beside a former Armagh inter county ref who was a referees accessor , he had no problems with deegan apart from the bit of showboating when  he alsmost for got to Show (grugan and Harrison?)

The ref was poor but, and I will be repeating myself, I've yet to see an Armagh fan blame him for us losing. We missed many chances, some very good chances at that, and we were indisciplined at times. That's what cost us the game

rosnarun

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 01, 2019, 11:29:00 AM
I cant believe all the whinging people are doing about The ref here , Jame clarke should have been black carded after about 2 mins if you care to rewind the video now that would have changed the GAme. and peobable 2 more could have got them . almost every time mayo got a free they were blocked from taking it and theis firectly cost them 2 points which would have made all the difference .
I was sitting beside a former Armagh inter county ref who was a referees accessor , he had no problems with deegan apart from the bit of showboating when  he alsmost for got to Show (grugan and Harrison?)

The ref was poor but, and I will be repeating myself, I’ve yet to see an Armagh fan blame him for us losing. We missed many chances, some very good chances at that, and we were indisciplined at times. That’s what cost us the game
when you lse a game by a point and the main subject of conversation is giving out about how bad the ref was uts a bit disingenuous  to say 'were not saying the ref cost us the game'
what are you sayin youd only have lost by half a point  if the referee had Given all the free armagh wanted?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

lurganblue

After the game I didnt give out about the ref and during the match i dont think i lambasted too many of his decisions.  Yeah he did things i didnt agree with but in the main we did some silly things that were ultimately our downfall (eg Shields getting the COC free moved up when he clearly didnt believe the first location was scorable).

The goalkeeping situation needs addressing before Christmas.  There are surely better options. 

There is definite progress with that Armagh side. We are still forward heavy.  Midfield area has strengthened though with JOB, Grimley, Sheridan and O O'Neill. My concern would be with the half back line.  It's an area that i do not feel we are getting enough out of.

Well impressed by Paul Hughes on Saturday night.

tonto1888

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 11:36:56 AM

The ref was poor but, and I will be repeating myself, I've yet to see an Armagh fan blame him for us losing. We missed many chances, some very good chances at that, and we were indisciplined at times. That's what cost us the game
when you lse a game by a point and the main subject of conversation is giving out about how bad the ref was uts a bit disingenuous  to say 'were not saying the ref cost us the game'
what are you sayin youd only have lost by half a point  if the referee had Given all the free armagh wanted?

Where did I say any of that? I said we lost because we didn't take our chances, some of which were very good chances. Also indiscipline cost us, esp shields causing a hard to score free to be turned into a hard to miss free. Nothing about the ref costing us in there now is there. The ref was poor, as many have said, and most of them from outside Armagh, but I don't see anyone blaming him for the loss

gallsman

Not if you're capable of, and I'm going out on a limb here, reading the actual posts you plan to rant about.

Applesisapples

Yes Armagh missed chances and made wrong decisions. But Deegan influences the outcome of games in a way few other refs do, with the exception perhaps of Joe McQullian.

rosnarun

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 01, 2019, 11:49:56 AM

The ref was poor but, and I will be repeating myself, I’ve yet to see an Armagh fan blame him for us losing. We missed many chances, some very good chances at that, and we were indisciplined at times. That’s what cost us the game

Where did I say any of that? I said we lost because we didn’t take our chances, some of which were very good chances. Also indiscipline cost us, esp shields causing a hard to score free to be turned into a hard to miss free. Nothing about the ref costing us in there now is there. The ref was poor, as many have said, and most of them from outside Armagh, but I don’t see anyone blaming him for the loss
you sentence started off with 'The Ref was poor' and then then ' yet to see an Armagh fan blame him ' lots are including Mcgeeney . go back and count as a neutral . mayo would equally as many quibbles with the ref as armagh and more serious ones like as I stated the failure to black card Clarke after about 2 minutes and showing 2 yellow card every time an armagh player started a row with his marker and vice versa , ill give you the example of burns getting booked when Doherty jumped into him , reversed happen to Darren coen,  letting campbell take 6 then 8 steps for a 'Great point ' in the last few minutes missing a stamp on an mayo player on the ground ETC ETC.
referees suck get over it

Over the Bar

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 01, 2019, 12:40:12 PM
Yes Armagh missed chances and made wrong decisions. But Deegan influences the outcome of games in a way few other refs do, with the exception perhaps of Joe McQullian.

You lost the game cos Mr "everybody look at me" John Cena decided to shoot when he should have been passing. 

tonto1888

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 12:51:43 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 01, 2019, 11:49:56 AM

Where did I say any of that? I said we lost because we didn't take our chances, some of which were very good chances. Also indiscipline cost us, esp shields causing a hard to score free to be turned into a hard to miss free. Nothing about the ref costing us in there now is there. The ref was poor, as many have said, and most of them from outside Armagh, but I don't see anyone blaming him for the loss
you sentence started off with 'The Ref was poor' and then then ' yet to see an Armagh fan blame him ' lots are including Mcgeeney . go back and count as a neutral . mayo would equally as many quibbles with the ref as armagh and more serious ones like as I stated the failure to black card Clarke after about 2 minutes and showing 2 yellow card every time an armagh player started a row with his marker and vice versa , ill give you the example of burns getting booked when Doherty jumped into him , reversed happen to Darren coen,  letting campbell take 6 then 8 steps for a 'Great point ' in the last few minutes missing a stamp on an mayo player on the ground ETC ETC.
referees suck get over it

I said the ref was poor which he was. You agree with me and have given points to show it. I have said a few times we only have ourselves to blame for losing that game.
I remember the clarke incident. I thought at the time he may have been lucky not to get a black. I didn't see a replay and haven't, and won't, watch the game again. I don't watch games we lose over again. I have referred already in this thread to the Donaghy stamp. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt after the Cavan game.
He also let McLoughlin off with extra steps for his goal.
The overriding consensus by many, including neutrals, is he was hard on Armagh. That doesn't matter. We had the chances to win that game irrespective of the ref. If I thought the ref was the reason we lost I would say it. He wasn't tho so I won't.
Didn't see the McGeeney interview either by the way

general_lee

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 01, 2019, 12:56:35 PM

You lost the game cos Mr "everybody look at me" John Cena decided to shoot when he should have been passing.
Is he buckin your daughter or sister or something?

Over the Bar

There's no doubt Armagh have improved but most likely would be the Super 8 whipping boys just like the Rossies were last year.  They've dodged a bullet in that respect.

rosnarun

Quote from: general_lee on July 01, 2019, 01:03:14 PM

I remember joe canning doing it a few years back
thought It was funny then

fearsiuil

Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Great to see a young talent celebrating scoring goals on his debut season. That Armagh front 8 are a joy to behold in person. Hope Clarke & co stay about for next season and beyond.

Gold

Quote from: fearsiuil on July 01, 2019, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Honestly my favourite team to watch now

Pace everywhere and classy, classy scores.

How they ltakled so well and so hard and lost I do not know

Great to see a young talent celebrating scoring goals on his debut season. That Armagh front 8 are a joy to behold in person. Hope Clarke & co stay about for next season and beyond.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

APM

Quote from: lurganblue on July 01, 2019, 11:43:13 AM
After the game I didnt give out about the ref and during the match i dont think i lambasted too many of his decisions.  Yeah he did things i didnt agree with but in the main we did some silly things that were ultimately our downfall (eg Shields getting the COC free moved up when he clearly didnt believe the first location was scorable).

The goalkeeping situation needs addressing before Christmas.  There are surely better options. 

There is definite progress with that Armagh side. We are still forward heavy.  Midfield area has strengthened though with JOB, Grimley, Sheridan and O O'Neill. My concern would be with the half back line.  It's an area that i do not feel we are getting enough out of.

Well impressed by Paul Hughes on Saturday night.

On the question of the goalkeeper, we need to be careful what we wish for. The article below sums up exactly what has happened since Hearty's retirement.  Hughes was fantastic in his first year but a few wobbles later and we all have short memories.  There was no silver bullet to the one point loss on Saturday. Some of our best performers kicked bad wides, we gave away some soft frees, indiscipline caused some to be moved into score-able areas and the referee done us no favours.   Yes, Hughes could have done better on both goals and on kickouts, but presumably if there was a better keeper out there they would be in the fold.  Others like O'Neill and Shields, made some terrible decisions but I don't see so much focus on them. I hope we don't end up doing to Blaine Hughes, what was done to McEvoy. 

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/armagh-closing-in-on-a-solution-to-goalkeeping-riddle-35999066.html