Attic conversion

Started by heffo, September 07, 2018, 07:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Getting the attic converted in the next few weeks.

Anyone who's had it done or in the trade - spray foam insulation v 200m wool is 1500e in the difference.

Is it worth it?

Nailer

Is the insulation being installed between the rafters and then the underside of the rafters being sheeted with plasterboard?

Owen Brannigan

Problem with spray foam can be the formaldehyde gas which is at least smelly at at worst poisonous. Check with previous customers to see if they had problems. It needs to be properly mixed before application and left to breathe. It is the best solution where space is limited as it kills all air movement which takes away your heat.

illdecide

Is Kingspan Insulation Boards an option between the rafters/joists. They're probably more expensive but it's the only thing i'd use
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

laoislad

Quote from: illdecide on September 08, 2018, 10:15:14 AM
Is Kingspan Insulation Boards an option between the rafters/joists. They're probably more expensive but it's the only thing i'd use
I'd agree with this.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Nailer

Kingspan foil back insulation is the way to go if it is being fitted between the rafters ensuring it is cut neatly and a 25mm air gap left between the underside of the roofing felt and the insulation, also using an insulated plasterboard for the ceiling (25mm kingspan on 12.5mm plasterboard) really helps too.
I've only ever used spray foam for industrial buildings so unable to comment on it's use in a roofspace.

grounded

Quote from: heffo on September 07, 2018, 07:35:23 PM
Getting the attic converted in the next few weeks.

Anyone who's had it done or in the trade - spray foam insulation v 200m wool is 1500e in the difference.

Is it worth it?

I've just completed a new build recently. I had got quotations for both and tbh the cost was similar. It was a job getting someone to actually fit the kingspan. It's a fussy job!  So expect a good Labour Bill along with the materials.
      We used 100mm between joists/rafters and 50mm insulation with 12.5mm plaster board attached below. We had to use a breathable membrane and tape between the 2.