2016 All Ireland final predictions

Started by Ash Smoker, September 02, 2016, 12:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Cannot think off hand of one KK player who got the better of his marker. Maybe two or three  shaded it but that is at a push.

Plenty of AIs there for Tipperary to pick off over the next few years if they can break a habit of generations and kick on .

Would think there are plenty of KK subs very disappointed today at not getting a run yesterday.

Excellent performance from Tipperary as a whole.

Applesisapples

Imagine scoring 2.20 in a football match and getting beaten. Wouldn't happen. Whilst I was rooting for the cats I wouldn't begrudge Tipp what was a hard earned victory over a superb bunch of men. I thought that whilst Callinan was MOM on the back of his scoring threat, the real bed rock of this victory was the Tipp defence and their intensity, tackling and distribution. I don't agree that it was a poor final, it wasn't so close in the end, but 70 plus minutes without a yellow card in sight and no sledging, pulling or sly digs. And fair play to Maher he acknowledged the enhanced value of winning the AI by beating Kilkenny.

mouview

Think most who attended it (myself included) would agree that it wasn't at all a bad match. Maybe it didn't come across as well on TV.

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 05, 2016, 10:44:27 AM
Imagine scoring 2.20 in a football match and getting beaten. Wouldn't happen. Whilst I was rooting for the cats I wouldn't begrudge Tipp what was a hard earned victory over a superb bunch of men. I thought that whilst Callinan was MOM on the back of his scoring threat, the real bed rock of this victory was the Tipp defence and their intensity, tackling and distribution. I don't agree that it was a poor final, it wasn't so close in the end, but 70 plus minutes without a yellow card in sight and no sledging, pulling or sly digs. And fair play to Maher he acknowledged the enhanced value of winning the AI by beating Kilkenny.

Big Walter should have got a yellow early on for the frontal shoulder but Brian Gavin was using the Tommy Carr rule book where you shouldn't book anyone early on as that would be ruining the game.
Brian is like that, so he is and the Tipp lad bounced back up without any handbags thrown around.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on September 05, 2016, 12:57:29 AM
Quote from: ashman on September 04, 2016, 05:29:39 PM
Imagine if a Tyrone player cursed like that on live TV. 😃

It was awful.

Never mind Tyrone. Imagine if a soccer or rugby player came out with an interview like that. An ass.

Agree. Cursing on live TV is shocking.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

manfromdelmonte

Kennedy was the best Tipp player through the Munster final, semi and final.
Very, very good

johnneycool

Are Galway now the second best team in Ireland?
Tipp waltzed through Munster, no one laid a glove on them and were the better team for most of the game yesterday with only Galway giving them their fill of it for the better part of 70 minutes!!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: johnneycool on September 05, 2016, 04:43:30 PM
Tipp waltzed through Munster, no one laid a glove on them and were the better team for most of the game yesterday with only Galway giving them their fill of it for the better part of 70 minutes!!

No just because we lost to Kilkenny already even though I think Kilkenny were in a better state then than the Michael Fennelly less version that turned up in the final. Plus I think having to go to the well twice against Waterford really did take something out of them. We just seem to match up well against Tipp and have zero hang ups about playing them whereas while we generally give Kilkenny plenty of it we haven't been able to finish them off in a match since the 2012 Leinster final. Since then there's been draws and long periods in games where we're on top of them but just can't drive the stake through their hearts. I think that does pray on the players minds no matter what. A bit of frustration in that only for the double injury blow before half-time in the semi I'm fairly confident we would have beaten Tipp. I don't think we'd have beaten Kilkenny in the final though without a fit Joe Canning. Not to mention Conor Whelan is also out after injuring himself in the U-21 semi.

I'm not even sure that Tipp played much better yesterday than they did in 2014 to be honest. Kilkenny have definitely come back towards the pack though. They were springing leaks everywhere yesterday and Cody barely even looked at his bench for an answer.

Cunny Funt

I attended yesterdays All Ireland final an enjoyable game played in ideal weather conditions and where the better team on the day won comfortably. For the game to be a classic it think it would need a Kilkenny comeback from the dead in the final 10 mins. Atmosphere wise Tipperary were in their best voice the roof nearly came off of the hogan stand when that second Tipperary goal was scored. Tipperary outnumbered Kilkenny in support must have been 60/40 in their favour the Kilkenny support was very mute yesterday maybe because they were in shock when their team was so outplayed on the field?

I stayed on to see lap of honour but by then there was less than 30,000 in the stadium a far cry from the old days when the majority of supporters would have stayed on.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 05, 2016, 04:58:20 PM

No just because we lost to Kilkenny already even though I think Kilkenny were in a better state then than the Michael Fennelly less version that turned up in the final. Plus I think having to go to the well twice against Waterford really did take something out of them. We just seem to match up well against Tipp and have zero hang ups about playing them whereas while we generally give Kilkenny plenty of it we haven't been able to finish them off in a match since the 2012 Leinster final. Since then there's been draws and long periods in games where we're on top of them but just can't drive the stake through their hearts. I think that does pray on the players minds no matter what. A bit of frustration in that only for the double injury blow before half-time in the semi I'm fairly confident we would have beaten Tipp. I don't think we'd have beaten Kilkenny in the final though without a fit Joe Canning. Not to mention Conor Whelan is also out after injuring himself in the U-21 semi.

I'm not even sure that Tipp played much better yesterday than they did in 2014 to be honest. Kilkenny have definitely come back towards the pack though. They were springing leaks everywhere yesterday and Cody barely even looked at his bench for an answer.
I think it wasn't a bad season for Galway. There is very little between us and Tipp and Kilkenny are not as good as they were.
The stability since 2011 is paying off. Previous years after all Ireland finals  were disastrous but this year was different. I think we should win within the next 3 years.

AZOffaly

Galway match up well with Tipp. Galway are not far away. It should be exciting next year with Waterford, Galway and maybe even Clare joining Tipp and Kilkenny.

I heard that Joe Canning has pulled the hamstring off his bone, which is a horrible injury. Best wishes to him, I'd love to see him win an All Ireland.

johnneycool

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 05, 2016, 04:58:20 PM

I was just being a bollox, but you're right, I think the leaders on this Kilkenny team have went to the well far too often and the Waterford games had them to the pin of their collar for the full 140 minutes and on Sunday Paul Murphy, TJ Reid, Richie Hogan and Larkin had nothing left in them to give.

Will Cody stay on for another rebuild or move on with his legacy still intact?

ashman

Kk have been in decline for 5 years or so now .  The players leaving are being replaced by inferior players .  Over those years none of the contenders we good enough to really do a number on them.  Since 2011 only Cork knocked them out until last Sunday . 

pullhard

Quote from: ashman on September 06, 2016, 02:12:48 PM
Kk have been in decline for 5 years or so now .  The players leaving are being replaced by inferior players .  Over those years none of the contenders we good enough to really do a number on them.  Since 2011 only Cork knocked them out until last Sunday . 

they've won 4 titles since 2011, hardly a team team in decline

ashman

They have been in decline since 2012 . Just that the other teams also regressed over this period.  Over the last 3 years their defence has lost Tommy Walsh ; JJ , Brian Hogan a
Noel Hickey and Mike Kavanagh .  The replacements bar Paul Murphy have all been decent but not as good as who they replaced .  This year they lost Richie Power , last year Shefflin.  They have done brilliant but they are not at the level of 2007 - 2010 imho  .