smart tv

Started by pullhard, March 22, 2013, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullhard

The old TV has finally given up the ghost. MS PH has, after research chosen a smart TV.
These look like normal LCD/plasma units, but can id told connect to you tube and netflix etc.

The samsung one http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue40es5500-led-hd-1080p-smart-tv-40-inch-with-freeview-hd/p23156069... we're looking at requires a dongle, allow im not really sure what it does, and is it a requirement? does anyone have any experience of smart TV's? Is it worth getting apple tv?

Armaghgeddon

Could probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

the waffler

have samsung good job but better with cable hard wired for films and you tube etc if you go for dongle think it must be samsung

T Fearon

Invested in a wifi (cableless and dongleless) Samsung 40inch Smart TV yesterday.Impressed already,easy enough to set up and use.However web browsing is a pain,with having to use remote control to get cursor on to every single letter on keyboard.Can you purchase a wireless keyboard compatible with this device?

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on April 02, 2013, 08:36:00 AM
Invested in a wifi (cableless and dongleless) Samsung 40inch Smart TV yesterday.Impressed already,easy enough to set up and use.However web browsing is a pain,with having to use remote control to get cursor on to every single letter on keyboard.Can you purchase a wireless keyboard compatible with this device?

Really painful. Also there are allot if nearly all the music videos on Youtube blocked due to Copyright. Smart TV's are handy, but are a bit of a disappointment yet! Samsung require their own Samsung dongle!

Armaghgeddon

If it has a usb port use a keyboard. If it has two plug in a mouse also.

rosnarun

you can get a Bluetooth keyboard which has a trackpad . I got mine with my samsung TV  and its only middling.
the best feature of the telly is definetly the voice control does away with the need for yet another Remote control. and if you doo need a remote you can use a Smartfone or Galaxy Tab
and the TV  doesnt require a dongle
not worth the money probaly and no moral way to justify it , but it makes me happy for a while
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

lynchbhoy

Yer prob better off getting a decent LCD/plasma HD TV that has a few hdmi and USB ports.
You can play videos/movies directly off a USB mem stick, and the laptop connected to t. Via hdmi can stream live content or music videos/movies onto the TV.

To me the smart tv is still a bit gimmicky yet - Tone , I suspect the solution from rosnarun is your only option right now. I'm sure better and more generic keyboards/mice units will be coming on stream in the future.

T Fearon

Pleased enough with the purchase.Wifi and 3D enabled (with 2 pairs of 3Dglasses) and paid less than £600! Iplayers (both itv and BBC) very handy,and all the RTE channels via Saorstat too.

EC Unique

Quote from: T Fearon on April 02, 2013, 08:36:00 AM

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/tv-accessories/VG-KBD1500/XU?subsubtype=wireless-keyboard

T Fearon

Thanks for that!

Another benefit of Smart Tv! I can now watch Champions League football on RTE2 in HD,instead of a blank screen/blocked signal.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on April 03, 2013, 07:34:18 PM
Another benefit of Smart Tv! I can now watch Champions League football on RTE2 in HD,instead of a blank screen/blocked signal.

Can we expect an improvement in your observations then?  :P
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Bohemians V Derry live on RTE2 HD on Friday night! I've waited a lifetime to see this!

armaghniac

QuoteBohemians V Derry live on RTE2 HD on Friday night! I've waited a lifetime to see this!

If your TV was as smart as you claim, it wouldn't show the likes of that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Watching Spurs V Basel live in HD! Just like sitting in the East Stand Lower at the Lane! Smart TV rocks!