Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

anyone see the kiko martinez fight last night. he was beat on points by english fighter rendall munroe.  munroe out boxed him throughout.  kiko i thought showed himself to be a one trick pony, always looking for the big knockout punch.  were will this leave bernard dunne now??  he was hoping for a rematch.   if dunne were to fight munroe i would fancy dunne to win.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: bridgegael on March 08, 2008, 12:05:56 PM
anyone see the kiko martinez fight last night. he was beat on points by english fighter rendall munroe.  munroe out boxed him throughout.  kiko i thought showed himself to be a one trick pony, always looking for the big knockout punch.  were will this leave bernard dunne now??  he was hoping for a rematch.   if dunne were to fight munroe i would fancy dunne to win.

Yeah, agree with you here bridgegael, kiko always was looking for one big punch to win the fight and it never materialised.  I though Munroe boxed smartly but he doesnt really have the calibre of a champion to me, i could not see this guy really taking charge of a fight but then again this is the 1st time i saw him and he would have been well aware of kiko's power so his gameplan was probably to back off as long as possible and try to pick him off with some sneaky punches.  One thing Munroe has though is incredible stamina even if he lacks a bit of punching power, he fully deserved the victory last night as kiko was very ordinary when faced with a lengthy fight where it required more brains than brawn.  Like to see a Munroe vs dunne fight now as Dunne would have the worry of being knocked the f**k out again!!!
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Rav67

Quote from: bridgegael on March 08, 2008, 12:05:56 PM

Didn't see the fight as I was out last night, but despite the result I still think Dunne needs to seek out Martinez again if he is to have any credibility as a fighter and beat him to banish the demons of that night.  Then he could possibly move on to get a world title shot in the next year or 2.

Rav67

Also the Haye Macarinelli fight is on tonight on Setanta I hear.  I see Haye has been at the mind games turning up late for the press conference and insisting on an earlier weigh-in.  Frank Warren was seriously pissed off with him, but I think its given Haye a bit of a psychological advantage as Macarinelli will be annoyed at his opponent gaining any supposed advantage.  Macarinelli's main chance of winning tonight will be Haye's weight problems, he's had problems getting below 200lb and this will be his last fight at cruiserweight.  Might impact on his power for the fight but I still expect him to win.

gerry

link for tonight match, you need to download sopcast and use IE not firefox etc

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/sun9.3/Haye_Maccarinelli.html
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Rav67

Haye TKO round 2.  He has awesome power so I think the step-up to heavyweight which will follow this fight won't be too much of a problem so long as he takes a bit of a lay-off to put on a few lbs and get used to the different weight.  Going by what I've seen of the current top heavyweights I'd expect Haye to win a world title at heavy and maybe even unify the division within 2/3 years.

bridgegael

Quote from: Rav67 on March 09, 2008, 03:21:39 AM
Haye TKO round 2.  He has awesome power so I think the step-up to heavyweight which will follow this fight won't be too much of a problem so long as he takes a bit of a lay-off to put on a few lbs and get used to the different weight.  Going by what I've seen of the current top heavyweights I'd expect Haye to win a world title at heavy and maybe even unify the division within 2/3 years.

would agree with you there rav, there isn,t too much quality in the heavyweight division and haye would fancy his chances of cleaning up.  he just blew enzo away with his power.  i think he'd be a lot more comfortable with those extra pounds.   won a few quid on the fight, had a few pound on haye to win in round two at 14/1 ;D

DirtyDozen12

I saw on setenta the last few rounds of the Manny Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel Marquez fight that went down recently.  Have to say pretty great stuff to watch, 2 guys giving it there all, 2 very good boxers it must be said.  I think this was a rematch as the 1st time they met it ended in a draw.

Calzaghe vs Hopkins coming up soon should be a good one.  Any other big profile fights around the corner that i should be on the look out for?

Anyone hear the rumour re Mayweather vs De Le Hoya possible rematch??

blasmere

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

bridgegael

a shock indeed, where will this leave lee now??  a few weeks ago we thought ireland woul've at least one middleweight fighting in a title match, now it seems that won't happen.  lee will be gutted with that result!

should be a good fight tonight with macklin and campus,  if its anywhere as good as duddy and campus we're in for a treat.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: bridgegael on March 22, 2008, 08:49:19 AM
a shock indeed, where will this leave lee now??  a few weeks ago we thought ireland woul've at least one middleweight fighting in a title match, now it seems that won't happen.  lee will be gutted with that result!

should be a good fight tonight with macklin and campus,  if its anywhere as good as duddy and campus we're in for a treat.

Is this fight on TV Bridgegael?

bridgegael

aye RTE2 at nine o clock

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: bridgegael on March 22, 2008, 08:49:19 AM
should be a good fight tonight with macklin and campus

Enjoyed the fight from what i seen of it last night, Macklin got in some nice shots but you would always expect that to happen against a guy the age of campus.  In saying this though i thought Macklin left himself open quite a number of times and was picked off himself on numerous occasions.  Anyway good win all the same, hopefully Macklin can keep improving.

The Claw

Anyone watching this tonight?
Paul McCloskey 1/5
Draw 20/1
Cezar Bazan 3/1

the green man

Good result for Doody, but jeez the on Mexican didnt seem interested at all