McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: mackers on January 21, 2019, 10:22:59 AM
22 was Jason Duffy who was listed as McKenna as far as I remember.  Ross was the no 24 who came on but he was listed as Aidan Nugent!!!  The programme people had a stinker on Saturday evening.

Aye and the Aidan Forker confusion too :)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on January 20, 2019, 10:39:27 PM
What about Jarleth Og? was he not playing a few games earlier in the competition and what about young McQuillan (Martin's son from St Pats)

Is Andrew Murnin back for the league? Probably better to put him in at full forward, Clarke and O'Neill on either side and Soupy at centre half forward
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tonto1888

Quote from: mackers on January 21, 2019, 10:22:59 AM
22 was Jason Duffy who was listed as McKenna as far as I remember.  Ross was the no 24 who came on but he was listed as Aidan Nugent!!!  The programme people had a stinker on Saturday evening.

They probably just used an old team sheet

BennyCake

TG4 reported that Aidan Forker was booked. And him sitting on the bench the whole match! :D

Targetman

Forker could still manage to get booked even if he was on the bench!!

smelmoth

Quote from: Orior on January 21, 2019, 12:40:35 PM
Quote from: illdecide on January 20, 2019, 10:39:27 PM
What about Jarleth Og? was he not playing a few games earlier in the competition and what about young McQuillan (Martin's son from St Pats)

Is Andrew Murnin back for the league? Probably better to put him in at full forward, Clarke and O'Neill on either side and Soupy at centre half forward

Having the 4 of them available is a significant addition.

The rule changes favour playing 3 inside forward across the pitch. Movement will be key so rotation likely to be deployed to keep things fresh. A good eight footer down the left flank and vice versa could trigger lots of scores if the right ball is put in. All 3 men can't be double marked without conceding the middle

Fuzzman

I was very impressed with Armagh especially in the first half? They moved the ball very fast and were very direct and at 4-1 down I thought Tyrone looked like they would struggle to get scores. Armagh were winning everything around the middle and you could see they were really up for it and were hitting hard any time a Tyrone man won the ball. It was almost championship intensity at times but as many have said they still tend to go OTT with their tackling and gave away silly frees which McCurry was doing well with most of them.
Speaking of DmC, I thought he looked very focused and hungry to impress and looked back to his best. He knows now he has a lot of doubters that he's a bottler and competition this year for a starting place will be much more intense than even last year.
Sludden again showed what he is capable of as he burst through for his first point that seemed to lift everyone.
Ronan struggled again and whilst we all know he has great accuracy for a pass and shot he just lacks that bit of pace to get away from a man or not get out in front.
McShane has really pushed on and is one of Mickey's favourites and I thought he played well on Sat night as well.
He seems to be taking the right choices a bit more now and not so headless chicken shooting.
I have yet to see Kennedy but I thought Grugan looked good on Sat night and is certainly in the running for a MF role. We are no longer a small team with lads like them around and Coney looks likely to make 11 his for the league as he can see a pass and deliver it with great accuracy but can hold a man off unlike RoN.

Morgan looks like he is in great form both with his "restarts" and his ability to take it short and get it back and run up the field until a man becomes free to take a SENSIBLE pass. However, we all know this only has to go wrong once for it to end up in the net for a soft goal.
Was surprised to see Mickey through young Canavan into the fray in such a physical game but he did OK considering the robust nature of the tackling. With him, Brennan, McCurry, Skeet, Mulgrew, Mattie, Sludden and McShane you would have to say we have a decent set of scoring forwards there now with S.O'Neill coaching them too.  You also have Richie Donnelly, McGeary, Meyler and maybe Bradley coming back later in the summer perhaps so that's a lot of lads at similar levels all pushing for a place.

All and all I was glad I went up to see them in the flesh and will look forward to a trip to Killarney this weekend.
Is McNamee out of that one or when is the suspension for?

Taylor

Cant wait for Killarney and Saturday nights game will set us up rightly for it. It probably wont be as intense in fact.
Clifford didnt play for Tralee so assume he will be ready for the weekend.

Armagh have improved from last season but their defence and midfield (after a good first 10mins) look vulnerable. i would have no fear meeting them with a hard sod.
Clarke up front is a joy to watch and he gave us trouble each time he got the ball.

DMC looks sharp and Coney showed some flashes of brilliance especially his pass for a mark late in the game.
Morgan was excellent the other night but as someone says he could as easily make a balls up. His distribution was second to none and if he keeps the head he will surpass Beggan and Cluxton soon.

BTW he penalty at the end. The player didnt even look confident taking it and I said this to the fella beside me before it was hit - just looked nervous.

twohands!!!

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 19, 2019, 10:42:29 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 19, 2019, 10:40:58 PM
Thon Armagh boys still can't tackle.

Believe it or not our tackling is a lot better than it has been

I think tackling and discipline are going to continue to be an issue until McGeeney departs.

The free count was 17-5 in Tyrone's favour.

I would expect this to be the most likely stumbling block if Armagh don't get promotion.

tonto1888

Quote from: twohands!!! on January 21, 2019, 05:25:50 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 19, 2019, 10:42:29 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 19, 2019, 10:40:58 PM
Thon Armagh boys still can't tackle.

Believe it or not our tackling is a lot better than it has been

I think tackling and discipline are going to continue to be an issue until McGeeney departs.

The free count was 17-5 in Tyrone's favour.

I would expect this to be the most likely stumbling block if Armagh don't get promotion.

Where are those stats from? I would be sure they aren't correct. We did concede a lot of frees but I am pretty certain we got more than that

Throw ball

Think 17-5 were first half stats

never kickt a ball

Ulster GAA have confirmed that the 2020 Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup Competition will be played without the third level Institutions and will commence on December 29th. A domino effect that has seen County u20s competitions and Sigerson Cup competition being completed earlier left a choice between starting the McKenna cup in mid-December with the third-level colleges or going after Christmas without them.

The group stages will now see games on the 29th of December, January 4th/5th and January 8th with semi-finals on January 12th and the final on the weekend of January 18th/19th. Commenting on the decision Ulster GAA Secretary Brian McAvoy said:

"Two scenarios were put to committee members – the one which was adopted and another which would have meant all three group rounds of the Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup played in December.  There was little appetite from counties to start the competition pre-Christmas, a scenario which would have meant at least five counties having no organized pre-season games in the month of January."

"With the Sigerson Cup now being run-off in the month of January it's unlikely now that our university teams will be able to participate in the 2020 competition.  Ulster GAA has always valued greatly the participation of Queen's University, Ulster University and St. Mary's University College in the Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup and we continued to offer them the opportunity to play in our pre-season football competition, even when other provinces did not.

"They have added to the competition over the years and we owe them a large debt of gratitude for this.  It will be disappointing that they are unlikely to be in the 2020 competition – but totally understandable.  I wish them well in their Sigerson Cup preparations and hope that the famed trophy can return to Ulster next year."

never kickt a ball

The draws for the 2020 Dr McKenna Cup have been made tonight at Riddel Hall, Belfast.

Holders Tyrone are set to open against Armagh at the end of the month after being drawn into Group C, with Mickey Graham's Cavan side also part of what looks the toughest section of the draw.

Ulster champions Donegal are with Monaghan and Derry in Group A while Antrim, Down and Fermanagh have been drawn into Group C, with only nine sides partaking in the competition as college teams are not included this year.

The first round of games are scheduled for Sunday, December 29th.

2020 Dr McKenna Cup draw:

Group A: Monaghan, Donegal, Derry

Group B: Antrim, Down, Fermanagh

Group C: Armagh, Tyrone, Cavan

*Semi-final one - Section C winner v Section B winner

*Semi-final two - Section A winner v Best runner up

trailer

It's actually f**king mental that this competition still takes place.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on December 06, 2019, 01:05:16 PM
It's actually f**king mental that this competition still takes place.

You say that but wait till you see the attendances for a 'nothing' competition.

It is astounding how many people come out to watch it