Closure of Official Armagh Fans Forum

Started by Rma13, October 04, 2017, 07:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kernan_is_King

Quote from: stew on October 05, 2017, 11:49:34 AM
Yes, that said I was not trying to make my point about how I feel on Cross, that said, duly noted.

Stew, the people of Cross are very sorry that you have lost the faith, we'll just have to win our next club All Ireland without your support.
We will of course be supporting Harps in Croke Park in the meantime, if we get the opportunity.
Big Joe - Big Future!

stew

Quote from: Kernan_is_King on October 05, 2017, 12:36:15 PM
Quote from: stew on October 05, 2017, 11:49:34 AM
Yes, that said I was not trying to make my point about how I feel on Cross, that said, duly noted.

Stew, the people of Cross are very sorry that you have lost the faith, we'll just have to win our next club All Ireland without your support.
We will of course be supporting Harps in Croke Park in the meantime, if we get the opportunity.

Kernan, this is a discussion forum of which you have never been part, be a dear and please try to understand that everyone has their opinion and I chose to offer mine on this forum about Crossmaglen, there was nothing personal about it, I did not, name and shame, in fact I let people know I was very proud of Cross for a long time, I don't expect anyone to give a shite about my opinion and you make my very point in deflecting and trying to demean the Harps with your crack about Croker.

I don't give a toss who you support in Croker, as long as it is not Cross you are supporting in Croker, and you sure as hell wont be doing that in March 2018.  :D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

general_lee

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2017, 12:06:54 PM
I would be extremely uncomfortable with the 'degree of leniency' that is exhibited here being applied to the much more local confines of a local forum where names of referees and officials are coming up. That's my own personal view. I therefore already see problems with your notion of a 'general consensus' being used to manage behavior.
Why? It will still be moderated? Are you expecting anarchy? Yes it's local but it's no different to the old forum where names might not necessarily have been used but it wasnt exactly hard to work out who people were talking about. I'd like to think common sense would prevail in any case if things did begin to get out of hand. Let's face it, it will be the same core of contributors that were in the the previous forum and the orchard county one previous to that, I don't foresee any problems with a bit artistic license when it comes to posting on the new one.

Quote from: general_lee on October 05, 2017, 11:48:59 AM
Now I personally was never actually banned or had any dealings with the mods on the county forum, but then again I never really posted there to begin with.
You did still though grow weary of the soup joke.
[/quote]
True, just because I didn't post often doesn't mean I didn't read the threads!

Brick Tamlin

Why not just post in here instead of a standalone site.
It was a sanitised forum with no real room for proper debate and discourse. Yes some things were getting out of hand and should have been dealt with ie ban the individual and not close the thread.
It also seems a few clubs/individuals don't like being criticised.

seafoid

Here has the advantage of built in long discussions between Fearon and everyone else.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rma13

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 05, 2017, 03:31:38 PM
Why not just post in here instead of a standalone site.
It was a sanitised forum with no real room for proper debate and discourse. Yes some things were getting out of hand and should have been dealt with ie ban the individual and not close the thread.
It also seems a few clubs/individuals don't like being criticised.

One of my main reasons for using the Armagh forum apart from the fact that I liked it was because this site is blocked in my workplace & it wasn't, plus there is no app for this site, well not that I can find anyway.

AFS

Old forum had gone a bit shite over the last few years. Plenty of knowledgable and interesting posters knocking about it, but they seemed to be increasingly drowned out by the shite about soup and the likes. Nothing wrong with a bit of craic and a few in jokes on a forum, but when it started stifling discussion and turning off other posters then the balance is wrong. Perhaps the new incarnation of the forum can promote a better balance, maybe siphon off that sort of stuff to a thread of its own or something.

Not overly optimistic about the lifespan of the new forum, though. Eventually the moderator there will decide to pull the plug, or have that decision made for him/ her. The simple fact is that you can't trust people to behave themselves online. Most will be dead on, but you will always get shitheads posting stuff that will cause problems. The local focus of something like a county forum will magnify these problems. Word will spread quickly about contentious posts, and the specificity of the forum's audience will make it fertile ground for the airings of local disputes and vendettas against individuals. It's naive to suggest the place can police itself. Moderating an online forum must be a nightmare, good luck to anyone that takes on the challenge.

BennyCake

What's happened  to the new Armagh forum ?

Harold Disgracey

No idea, I just went to post something on it and saw the server error message.