Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Have to say I think Frampton comes across all the time as a real likeable fella. I would find it impossible not to root for him.

nrico2006

Jim in right, something in us that likes to bring successful people down.  I honestly couldn't say anything negative about Frampton.  Good role model and represents this country as good as anybody can, especially from the perspective of both sides.  This is worth a watch, only 20 odd minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3q7vVwOE4
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trailer

Frampton is one the best ambassadors the North has. Pure gent and great boxer. He's the very best of us. See him the Remembering Noah T-shirt at the weigh in. Pure class.

bennydorano

Really looking forward to this, as Frampton is a very clever boxer I'd expect him to negate Herring's reach advantage, whether he'll be good enough to take advantage I don't know. Bookies finding it tough to split them. Love to see Frampton win but my gut feeling is Herring wins between R7-9.

JimStynes

Big size difference. I can't see frampton winning it. He'll really need to pull it out of the bag to win it. He's not the same boxer from 5 years ago but hopefully he has still got something there.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on April 02, 2021, 04:30:52 PM
Big size difference. I can't see frampton winning it. He'll really need to pull it out of the bag to win it. He's not the same boxer from 5 years ago but hopefully he has still got something there.

He's fought those taller fighters before but yes he was younger then! It's a difficult fight, I hope he comes through but if I was a betting man (and I am  ;D) I'd take Herring, but heart says Carl
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Surely you would get into trouble if you bet against him ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2021, 06:34:10 PM
Surely you would get into trouble if you bet against him ;D

Yeah, wouldn't tell the wife!!

Herring is well put together by the looks of it, fast with the jab and his reach will keep Carl away, Carl would need to get in close.

He does a bitta show boating too, might leave him open
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on April 02, 2021, 12:40:00 PM
Frampton is one the best ambassadors the North Ireland has. Pure gent and great boxer. He's the very best of us. See him the Remembering Noah T-shirt at the weigh in. Pure class.
fixed that for you

nrico2006

Herring hasn't really fought any top fighters though and has been beaten twice, the big thing in his favour is his size but if he does struggle to make the weight you would hope that catches up with him in the later rounds.  I hope Frampton wins but if I had to put my money on it, I would go for Herring on points and mainly due to his size.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

McKenna fight off, thats a rough one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 03, 2021, 11:22:33 AM
Herring hasn't really fought any top fighters though and has been beaten twice, the big thing in his favour is his size but if he does struggle to make the weight you would hope that catches up with him in the later rounds.  I hope Frampton wins but if I had to put my money on it, I would go for Herring on points and mainly due to his size.

Was chatting to the father in law who's been to almost all of Carl's fights from amateur through to now, he's 50/50 on it and used the exact same reasoning as you in terms of making the weight and tiring. I countered with Carl not being as young as he was so the tiring will certainly be a two way thing.

Hopefully he'll get another pay day, if not he'll have created a decent legacy for boxing in Belfast. It's been a great journey for him and it's very difficult to generate support from both sides in this place and he's managed that to a tee. 

Saffrongael

Hard to look past the Kinahan connection for me
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

JimStynes

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 03, 2021, 07:33:17 PM

You'll find it hard to find a boxer not linked to him now. I'm sure if we were in the same position we would happily take Kinahan money.

Saffrongael

Quote from: JimStynes on April 03, 2021, 08:48:53 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on April 03, 2021, 07:33:17 PM

You'll find it hard to find a boxer not linked to him now. I'm sure if we were in the same position we would happily take Kinahan money.

Speak for yourself Jim, it's not as if Frampton was a nobody when he hooked up with them.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come