McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Convincing win by Derry. Both sides continuing on their trajectories from last season with Derry on the rise and Tyrone on the wane.

trueblue1234

Well done Derry. Full value for the win. Managed the game well with some good scores thrown in.

Hard to know about Tyrone. Too early to tell but needs to be big improvements,

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tyrone08

Fair play to Derry. Fitter and more organised. Too early to tell for either team but Derry off to the better start

clarshack

Derry will win Ulster again this year.

Itchy

Quote from: clarshack on January 21, 2023, 08:48:02 PM

Based on the McKenna Cup?

clarshack

Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2023, 09:19:40 PM

No obviously not just McKenna Cup but who will stop them? Tyrone are a shambles and Donegal will be rebuilding after Murphy.
Armagh will probably be their main challengers.

OrchardOrange

As an Armagh man I was glad to witness the worst Tyrone performance I've ever seen. Can't wait til we relegage them in Omagh last game in the league. ☺️

tbrick18

Really dominant from Derry tonight apart from 10-15 mins at the start of the 2nd half.
Should have been 12 up at half time but for heroics of the tyrone keeper.
The most impressive thing from a Derry perspective is that we were only at about 75% strength. Missing 3 Glen players and mckaigue. Tyrone had most of their big hitters on in the 2nd half but we stood up to it and took them to the cleaners.

Only the mckenna cup but some very encouraging signs. Casside in my, mcevoy in defence, Murray up front and toner showing very strong. Hopefully we can use this to get promotion and give the championship a real  rattle.

As for tyrone, something not right about them. Can't put my finger on it. Some of the better players from the AI win are not performing. Richie donnelly has gone backwards. Mccurry looks past his best and mcshane inconsistent. Missing leaders maybe?  But again, only the mckenna cup, they've plenty of time to put it right and could still be a force in ulster.

Good mckenna cup this year all round.

Itchy

Quote from: clarshack on January 21, 2023, 09:30:05 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 21, 2023, 09:19:40 PM

No obviously not just McKenna Cup but who will stop them? Tyrone are a shambles and Donegal will be rebuilding after Murphy.
Armagh will probably be their main challengers.

Armagh? Don't think so. Derry are a serious competitor but I don't see it like they are miles ahead of everyone. Tyrone a shambles? They drew with Derry a week ago. You are reading waybto much into a few glorified pre season friendlies

bennydorano

I've been listening to a lot of Tyrone people I know over the past while, every one of them convinced last year was an aberration, they'd all be pretty concerned after that I'd imagine, a switch can't be flicked to turn it all back on.

imtommygunn

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 21, 2023, 09:55:59 PM
Really dominant from Derry tonight apart from 10-15 mins at the start of the 2nd half.
Should have been 12 up at half time but for heroics of the tyrone keeper.
The most impressive thing from a Derry perspective is that we were only at about 75% strength. Missing 3 Glen players and mckaigue. Tyrone had most of their big hitters on in the 2nd half but we stood up to it and took them to the cleaners.

Only the mckenna cup but some very encouraging signs. Casside in my, mcevoy in defence, Murray up front and toner showing very strong. Hopefully we can use this to get promotion and give the championship a real  rattle.

As for tyrone, something not right about them. Can't put my finger on it. Some of the better players from the AI win are not performing. Richie donnelly has gone backwards. Mccurry looks past his best and mcshane inconsistent. Missing leaders maybe?  But again, only the mckenna cup, they've plenty of time to put it right and could still be a force in ulster.

Good mckenna cup this year all round.

Something doesn't look right with Tyrone at all for me. Still early so could be wrong but they seem off. If they have a bad year I wouldn't expect to see those boys back managing.

Derry look sharp but it is pre season and sometimes it could be one team ahead of the other fitness wise. They definitely have shown some interesting options too. They should have more depth in midfield you would expect now and then Murray and / or carron (or is it mccarron) are better options in the forwards. Still not fully convinced in the goalie.

rodney trotter

Ben McCarron. I remember watching him last year in the All Ireland intermediate club final against Trim and thought he'd have a big impact with Derry last year. Gallagher didn't play him much.
Playing Sigerson aswell with UUJ.

Estimator

Funny moment from the first half.. everything was quiet in the stand. Tyrone on the attack, but playing into that breeze, they weren't attempting a shot, it was all about holding possession.
A massive roar from a Tyrone women in the crowd...
"We're 5pts down, just fuckin shoot!!"
Ulster League Champions 2009

imtommygunn

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 21, 2023, 10:16:24 PM
Ben McCarron. I remember watching him last year in the All Ireland intermediate club final against Trim and thought he'd have a big impact with Derry last year. Gallagher didn't play him much.
Playing Sigerson aswell with UUJ.

That's him. Yeah I definitely thought he looked useful. Him and Murray should add a bit to that forward line.

Still a pre season tournament so hard to say as ulster will probably still be very open. Derry probably made themselves favourites there though and Tyrone will either capitulate or have got the kick up the arse they needed.

yellowcard

Dooher and Logan should have retired at the end of last season. They've already scaled the peak and don't have the time and energy required to take on the challenge again. They got lucky with the Covid All Ireland and fair play to them but I don't see them arresting the decline. Some might argue it's only the McKenna Cup but Tyrone were second best everywhere tonight.

Derry look like the team to beat in Ulster and if Glen win tomorrow it will only give them an added layer of self belief.