Harte mentors boxing ace Taggart

Started by ziggysego, November 01, 2007, 10:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the GAA Discussion or Non-GAA Discussion. Mod, if you want to move it, feel free.

QuoteTyrone manager Mickey Harte is 'mentoring' rising boxing star Damien Taggart, who will make his professional debut in the King's Hall in Belfast next month.

The double All-Ireland winning manager has played a major part in helping the young Tyrone fighter to achieve his dream of turning professional in the past year, and now Taggart is preparing for the biggest night of his life when he fights on the undercard of the John Duddy v Howard Eastman bout at the King's Hall on December 8.

Officially, Harte is his 'mentor', and his involvement is limited to helping the boxer at a personal level - building up Taggart's mental strength in the same way as he would with the Tyrone footballers.

"He's just a young lad that I know," said Harte, who explained that Taggart went to school with one of his sons.

"He did a bit of amateur boxing and then went and did a degree in sports science, but he has always had this ambition to become a professional boxer.

"I knew that and I talked with Martin Donnelly (who sponsors Bernard Dunne and Malachy Mackin among others). Martin was able to put him in touch with people who were able to advise him how it might happen for him.

"Thankfully for the last 10 or 11 months it has come to fruition and he will be boxing in the King's Hall on December 8. It will be his debut fight on quite a big card."

Sourced Hoganstand.com: http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=85340
Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

thought I'd get in there first...

This lad will know when and how to hit the deck alright

;) :D

lynchbhoy

only jokingbest of luck to him
M Harte's psychology transcends sports. Its the positive thinking, creative thinking and attitude that raises players above what they could ordinarily be.

Still the lad hs to box, and against a tyson-esque opponent, the aforementioned all goes out the window - as theres no place for tricks and hiding in that ring !

best of luck to him

Bensars

I didnt know anything about this. Is he from Ballygawley ?

Wish him well. With M Harte involved he will be well prepared anyway.

parttimeexile

Fair play to Tags. I was in his class at the brothers and he was always a really nice fella. He's not had an easy life but he has not let it affect him. Hope he does really well in his boxing career.

orangeman

Harte is a brilliant all round sportsman - hats off to him and Taggart - good luck !

Over the Bar

Doesn't surprise me at all.  Mickey Harte is miles ahead of any other manager in the GAA in his thinking and enthusiam for learning new ways of coaching and mentoring.   I know a fella who was studying for a masters in psychologyand he lent MH him a book on effective motivation and Harte left it back a few days later having read it cover to cover.     There'd be very few teams or sportsmen on the planet that Harte couldn't offer something to.

screenexile

Quote"I knew that and I talked with Martin Donnelly (who sponsors Bernard Dunne and Malachy Mackin among others). Martin was able to put him in touch with people who were able to advise him how it might happen for him.

"Thankfully for the last 10 or 11 months it has come to fruition and he will be boxing in the King's Hall on December 8. It will be his debut fight on quite a big card."

No offence to Malachy Mackin but why would Martin Donnelly be sponsoring him??

gerry

all the best  " i hope he knocks f***k out of him
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 03, 2007, 09:48:00 AM
Quote"I knew that and I talked with Martin Donnelly (who sponsors Bernard Dunne and Malachy Mackin among others). Martin was able to put him in touch with people who were able to advise him how it might happen for him.

I think PoG would have something to say about Mal Mackin and boxing!
aye I hear they've a problem with mal mackin though, he'll only get in the ring if he's got a few thugs with him (i.e. ciaran mckeever) and if it's against a wee young lad or someone he knows won't be interested in fighting back. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

I noticed on the "20 Moments That Shook Irish Sport", Mickey Harte's snipets were shot from a boxing ring. It's a wonder nobody picked up on that before this news was broke.
Testing Accessibility

orangeman