Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Provincial Councils will no doubt oppose any attempt at dictating how they run their Championships.

You could of course have round robin Provincials with the 8 Finalists, Tailtean  winners and 7 highest League teams playing a knock out AI Championship.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GoldCoastRossie

Although since its provincial council vote, I doubt Roscommon would be overly in favour in the long term as we benefit from Galway V Mayo Connacht semi finals.

Plus for next year if its the provincial finalists who are seeded that's Sligo* and potentially Galway to use the form guide but in prearranged games its Galway vs London, Mayo vs New York in the quarter finals. 

westbound

Quote from: GoldCoastRossie on April 18, 2023, 10:33:17 AM
Although since its provincial council vote, I doubt Roscommon would be overly in favour in the long term as we benefit from Galway V Mayo Connacht semi finals.

Plus for next year if its the provincial finalists who are seeded that's Sligo* and potentially Galway to use the form guide but in prearranged games its Galway vs London, Mayo vs New York in the quarter finals.

Galway, Mayo and Roscommon cannot be on the same side of the draw next year because Galway and Mayo are in the pre-arranged games.  So no need to seed the draw at all next year.
It's only possible in years when 2 of the 3 are drawn together in the quarter final.  And even in years when that happens, the semi final draw can still keep them apart.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Rossfan on April 18, 2023, 10:31:22 AM
Provincial Councils will no doubt oppose any attempt at dictating how they run their Championships.

You could of course have round robin Provincials with the 8 Finalists, Tailtean  winners and 7 highest League teams playing a knock out AI Championship.
They could oppose, but not sure what good it'll do them. Change has happened, that train has left the station. Change with it, or the provincials go and I'd like them to stay

Owenmoresider

Quote from: westbound on April 18, 2023, 10:49:52 AM
Quote from: GoldCoastRossie on April 18, 2023, 10:33:17 AM

Galway, Mayo and Roscommon cannot be on the same side of the draw next year because Galway and Mayo are in the pre-arranged games.  So no need to seed the draw at all next year.
It's only possible in years when 2 of the 3 are drawn together in the quarter final.  And even in years when that happens, the semi final draw can still keep them apart.
It's happened three times this century (2002, 2013, 2023) that Sligo and Leitrim were in the opposite side of the draw to Mayo, Galway and Roscommon. Sligo have London when Leitrim travel to NY and vice versa, so it's no coincidence that those occurrences have all happened since NY came in. Before that you're heading back to the fifties if not earlier. Prenty hinted that the NY trips would be reviewed last week, so maybe you might find the order being rotated so to avoid that unfortunate prospect that seems to annoy so many.

Main Street

Obviously it's best to go into the group stages as provincial winners , but second choice is to go in as third seeds. Especially the runners up in Ulster,  after 3 hard games the loser is odds on to end up with a hot to trot 3rd seed in their group.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Main Street on April 18, 2023, 10:22:27 PM
Obviously it's best to go into the group stages as provincial winners , but second choice is to go in as third seeds. Especially the runners up in Ulster,  after 3 hard games the loser is odds on to end up with a hot to trot 3rd seed in their group.

Third seed away to a provincial champion in first game after a 5/6 week break. That's the worst case start to a group. At least runners up are playing a 4th seed and i assume have home advantage.

Main Street

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 18, 2023, 10:34:23 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 18, 2023, 10:22:27 PM

Third seed away to a provincial champion in first game after a 5/6 week break. That's the worst case start to a group. At least runners up are playing a 4th seed and i assume have home advantage.
After the 1st game, then beat the other 2 to  gain 2nd spot.

Go in as prov runner up, you are likely up against one of Mayo, Tyrone, Galway/Roscommon  as third seeds,  as opposed to meeting  softer targets  - Connacht Munster Leinster runners up

Rossfan

The final destinations of the Connacht and *Munster teams will be decided this weekend.
Kerry, Galway, Ros, Mayowestros in Sam already. Most likely be joined by Sligo and Clare.
Likely to be NY, London, Leitrim, Limerick, Waterford and Tipp in TC.
*Cork  not confirmed, will be hoping for Armagh , Offaly and Wicklow wins.

An Watcher

Cavan are the danger for many if the division 2 teams hoping to play for the Sam maguire.  If they could beat armagh I'd fancy them to beat down/donegal.  Conditions will be poor tomorrow so not sure who that suits

inroundthesquare

Is it confirmed that you can't be drawn against teams that you have already played in the Provincial championship..
i.e. Clare v Cork, Monaghan v Tyrone etc.

The official GAA release said "Teams who have already met in that year's provincial final cannot be drawn to the same group"

But the provincial finalists couldn't have been in same group anyway as it is pre-ordained (Leinster Winners, Ulster Runners-Up etc.) so I don't know why that was included

Rossfan

Quote from: inroundthesquare on April 22, 2023, 12:17:27 PM
Is it confirmed that you can't be drawn against teams that you have already played in the Provincial championship..
i.e. Clare v Cork, Monaghan v Tyrone etc.

No.

inroundthesquare

Seed 1
Galway / Roscommon
Kerry
Dublin
Ulster Winner

Seed 2
Clare
Sligo
Ulster Runner Up
Louth / Westmeath / Meath

Seed 3
Mayo
Roscommon / Galway
Tyrone
Monaghan / Derry

Seed 4
Armagh / Donegal (or both if Down reach Ulster final)
Louth (if don't reach Leinster final)
Cork (as long as Meath don't reach Leinster final and Down don't reach Ulster Final)
Westmeath (if don't reach Leinster final)
Kildare (as long as Meath don't reach Leinster final or Down don't reach Ulster Final)

seafoid

Clare get to the Munster Final and qualify for the Sam Maguire
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU