Northern Towns/villages without GAA clubs

Started by Aristotle Flynn, February 01, 2007, 10:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 22, 2023, 11:06:16 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 22, 2023, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 22, 2023, 10:44:35 AM
There is a huge population base for St Paul's to exploit. Demographically they've a big take but this probably isn't consolidated by the cultural makeup of the area. Newtownards has St Finian's P.S. and Loughries IPS with St Mary's P.S. nearby in Comber. There is St Malachy's P.S. in Bangor along with St Comgall's P.S. in the same town. Glencraig IPS and St Patrick's P.S. are in Holywood with St Anne's P.S. in Donaghadee. There are eight primary schools alone that they could be drawing from.

Have always believed that an urban taskforce for want of a better term should be created in Down. We have most of South and East Belfast plus that whole metropolitan area of North Down. Then large towns like Newcastle, Downpatrick and Banbridge along with the 'city' of Newry. We really should be maximising our potential in all of our urban areas.

Loughries Integrated PS??? I'd love to see the breakdown of that wee school! Heck they've only started allowing in GDO's into Kircubbin Integrated that last few years or so.

Comber would come into the catchment area of Darragh Cross I'd have thought even though it's 10 miles or so away, but you've Ballygowan, Saintfield and all in that area with pretty decent populations.
We used to get a few underage hurlers out of Bangor/Holywood/Ards area from going to school in Knock with some of our lads, but they never stuck at it.

You've places like Carrowdore, Ballyhalbert, Greyabbey, etc etc and they wouldn't even have youth soccer teams. Heck even Ballywalter had to cancel some underage soccer games one Saturday as it was first communion on in Kircubbin and a few weeks later also had to cancel games as the Down Feile was on in Portaferry.

More into farming, motorbikes and marching.

Was there never any sort of tradition of Ards hurlers playing football for St Paul's at a time? I do mind Kevin McGarry and Magic Johnston throwing their lot in with Loughinisland, Brendan McGourty with Darragh Cross, Danny Toner with Saul and a few of the Ennis men with Carryduff.

Don't recollect St Pauls ever having the misfortune of having any of our lads line out for them, there's still the odd one fĂșcks around with Saul or Kilcilef AFAIK.

If wee Danny is ever seen in a Saul jersey again I'll hit him a boot up the hole.. ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 22, 2023, 11:06:16 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 22, 2023, 11:03:18 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 22, 2023, 10:44:35 AM
There is a huge population base for St Paul's to exploit. Demographically they've a big take but this probably isn't consolidated by the cultural makeup of the area. Newtownards has St Finian's P.S. and Loughries IPS with St Mary's P.S. nearby in Comber. There is St Malachy's P.S. in Bangor along with St Comgall's P.S. in the same town. Glencraig IPS and St Patrick's P.S. are in Holywood with St Anne's P.S. in Donaghadee. There are eight primary schools alone that they could be drawing from.

Have always believed that an urban taskforce for want of a better term should be created in Down. We have most of South and East Belfast plus that whole metropolitan area of North Down. Then large towns like Newcastle, Downpatrick and Banbridge along with the 'city' of Newry. We really should be maximising our potential in all of our urban areas.

Loughries Integrated PS??? I'd love to see the breakdown of that wee school! Heck they've only started allowing in GDO's into Kircubbin Integrated that last few years or so.

Comber would come into the catchment area of Darragh Cross I'd have thought even though it's 10 miles or so away, but you've Ballygowan, Saintfield and all in that area with pretty decent populations.
We used to get a few underage hurlers out of Bangor/Holywood/Ards area from going to school in Knock with some of our lads, but they never stuck at it.

You've places like Carrowdore, Ballyhalbert, Greyabbey, etc etc and they wouldn't even have youth soccer teams. Heck even Ballywalter had to cancel some underage soccer games one Saturday as it was first communion on in Kircubbin and a few weeks later also had to cancel games as the Down Feile was on in Portaferry.

More into farming, motorbikes and marching.

Was there never any sort of tradition of Ards hurlers playing football for St Paul's at a time? I do mind Kevin McGarry and Magic Johnston throwing their lot in with Loughinisland, Brendan McGourty with Darragh Cross, Danny Toner with Saul and a few of the Ennis men with Carryduff.

Sean Og' McGourty Ballycran, played football for St Galls, few county championships, maybe even an Ulster football title from 82 and Kilmacud Sevens titles from that period. Blaney also played a bitta football I think ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Down is so interesting between Mickey Linden, the hurling and the other side. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

It feels like two counties really. The ards and the rest. You could argue belfast teams / carryduff as another one too. Huge areas of it with no football and then on the flip side probably more with no hurling.

armaghniac

North Down should have some more possibility, apart from the 4% nationalist vote there is 36% in the middle ground. Not traditional GAA territory to be sure, but not all bonfire night territory either and some of the social structure might be like south Dublin where the GAA has managed to make inroads with the likes of Cuala or Kilmacud.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Jarlath will get a load of that 36% on board😉
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Truth hurts

There is a load of places that Down GAA could be tapping into and I have said for years that these areas and primary schools should be targeted by the GPO of the county. Primary schools in Kilcoo, Burren, Mayobridge, Hilltown etc do not need as much coaching as the urban areas where there is a struggle against other sports and interests. at least we have a county board that realise the county does not stop at Castlewellan lake :)

delgany

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 22, 2023, 02:18:40 PM
There is a load of places that Down GAA could be tapping into and I have said for years that these areas and primary schools should be targeted by the GPO of the county. Primary schools in Kilcoo, Burren, Mayobridge, Hilltown etc do not need as much coaching as the urban areas where there is a struggle against other sports and interests. at least we have a county board that realise the county does not stop at Castlewellan lake :)

Havent seen a GDO in three years! Never mind any communication or information from the GD Manager- it the waiting that kills you most!