Kerry Club Football

Started by mad tan, January 17, 2023, 07:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad tan

Can someone please explain Club Football in Kerry. How many Clubs what leagues and Championships they play in and of coarse how can the Clifford's play for a Junior club and play county football. In most counties a Junior club player would not get a look in at county level. I ask several people this and no one can explain it. Finally I think the Gaa should say a big thank you to David Clifford just look at the crowds that came out to see him play for his club in dreadful weather over the last few weeks. 

seafoid

Quote from: mad tan on January 17, 2023, 07:07:28 PM
Can someone please explain Club Football in Kerry. How many Clubs what leagues and Championships they play in and of coarse how can the Clifford's play for a Junior club and play county football. In most counties a Junior club player would not get a look in at county level. I ask several people this and no one can explain it. Finally I think the Gaa should say a big thank you to David Clifford just look at the crowds that came out to see him play for his club in dreadful weather over the last few weeks.
Kerry has clubs and Divisional or amalgamated teams. Clifford plays for his club Fossa at junior level and for I think East Kerry divisional side who won the County championship this year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nrico2006

I take it O'Neill and Dooher won the JFC in Tyrone too?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armagh18

Why wouldnt a junior player get a look in? He would have came to the attention of county management from his underage exploits he was always going to be a star.

Eire90

Is the divisional system a bit like having a railway cup at  county level.

Eire90

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 10:51:28 PM
Why wouldnt a junior player get a look in? He would have came to the attention of county management from his underage exploits he was always going to be a star.

is not the place where you live determine what club you play for if your a superstar player but live in a junior club area then you play for them.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on January 18, 2023, 06:41:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 10:51:28 PM

is not the place where you live determine what club you play for if your a superstar player but live in a junior club area then you play for them.
Obviously. Don't know about other counties but in Armagh every club can send forward lads every year to county academy teams from i think u14 or u15 up. Doesnt matter what club you're from.

Rossfan

But back in the oul days County "selectors" barely knew some Junior Clubs existed.
The Kerry system meant good lads were able to play at a higher level and become known.
With near 40 Senior AIs they must be doing something right.
Also between League,  Club Championship, County Championship and Regional Championship Kerry players play loads of games every year.
Meanwhile we had 6 team League Divisions.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dabh

Fun Fact for the day re. Kerry County Championship : (I'm fairly sure  this is correct)

The Kilgarvan Club are historically part of the 'Kenmare District' amalgamation that historically played in the county championship with Kenmare Shamrocks, Templenoe & Tuosist. 

However as both clubs, Kenmare Shamrocks & Templenoe are currently in the county championship ,  the much weakened Kenmare District team withdrew from the county championship and so the 2 clubs Kilgarvan & Tuosist are in with the East Kerry Team.

So in theory ... if Kenmare Shamrocks or Templenoe are to be relegated from county championship next year (to cause Kenmare District to reenter) and Kilgarvan to be promoted over the next 2 years from Junior to Intermediate to senior (highly unlikely i realise -Templenoe did it over 5 years) .. a player from Kilgarvan could play for 3 different teams in the Kerry County Championship in 3 years and never move club
Year 1 East Kerry
Year 2 Kenmare District
Year 3 Kilgarvan

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on January 18, 2023, 09:17:30 AM
But back in the oul days County "selectors" barely knew some Junior Clubs existed.
The Kerry system meant good lads were able to play at a higher level and become known.
Also between League,  Club Championship, County Championship and Regional Championship Kerry players play loads of games every year.
I think its a brilliant idea to give better lads from weaker clubs a chance to play at a higher level, have definitely discussed it with Armagh men before and something s lot of people would like to see tried up here. It would take some getting used to though putting rivalries aside to play together. I know theres plenty of lads with loads of ability playing junior football here that could probably develop themselves to a far better level if they got the chance to play a better standard of football.

Only issue i have with Kerrys system as I've said numerous times in the other thread is that they shouldnt have the 9th best team in the county pretending they are intermediate.

Rossfan

We had a sort of a Divisions Championship this year, only 2 teams and the Final was played in Prenty's fkn bubble for some reason.
This year it's hoped to have 4 Divisional teams (picked from Junior and Inter Clubs) who will form a group in the SFC giving us 4 groups of 4.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 10:03:41 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 18, 2023, 09:17:30 AM
I think its a brilliant idea to give better lads from weaker clubs a chance to play at a higher level, have definitely discussed it with Armagh men before and something s lot of people would like to see tried up here. It would take some getting used to though putting rivalries aside to play together. I know theres plenty of lads with loads of ability playing junior football here that could probably develop themselves to a far better level if they got the chance to play a better standard of football.

Only issue i have with Kerrys system as I've said numerous times in the other thread is that they shouldnt have the 9th best team in the county pretending they are intermediate.
16 clubs plus the 8 divisional sides would be the way to go.

How does it work for training, ie. How often would a divisional player train with his divisional team vs his club team?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Someone needs to do a mini series or documentary on the Kerry club football structure at this stage!!  ;D

One of the old threads from 2019 had plenty good explanation on it in fairness.

The main by products of the whole thing that stand out to me are
1.Every club player in the county, regardless of level, gets a chance to play in County Senior championship and
2.Average Kerry club player gets a guaranteed 20 games a year due to the structure. County league (taken seriously), County club championship (Senior, Intermediate, Premier Junior, Junior), County Senior championship, Divisional leagues (North Kerry league, south Kerry league etc), Divisional championships - played at end of year.

If anyone wants to ask anything about it work away and I'll do my best though.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Armagh18

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on January 18, 2023, 11:08:02 AM
Someone needs to do a mini series or documentary on the Kerry club football structure at this stage!!  ;D

One of the old threads from 2019 had plenty good explanation on it in fairness.

The main by products of the whole thing that stand out to me are
1.Every club player in the county, regardless of level, gets a chance to play in County Senior championship and
2.Average Kerry club player gets a guaranteed 20 games a year due to the structure. County league (taken seriously), County club championship (Senior, Intermediate, Premier Junior, Junior), County Senior championship, Divisional leagues (North Kerry league, south Kerry league etc), Divisional championships - played at end of year.

If anyone wants to ask anything about it work away and I'll do my best though.
All I want to ask is how the feck ye get the time lol. Better than the system here though where theres only 14 league games and then straight knockout championship. Lot of training for little amount of games. Although the leagues are very competitive and taken seriously for the most part, as they are linked to following years championship. only 8 teams in the division means less dead rubbers towards the end.