NFL Division Three 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Another late goal by Sean Quigley

FermGael

Again we need to stop giving away terrible goals

Felt we were comfortably the better team but just keep giving away poor poor goals and turnovers.

Have to say was very impressed by McCann at FF for Antrim and Jordan at whb.

Ultan Kelm was the stand out player on the pitch.
His goal for Fermanagh was an incredible hit

Last season Antrim were physically the better team and they were fitter as well. We have closed that gap

2 games in a row when we have had a late goal.

Tipp up next at home.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Blowitupref

Comeback win for Down 1-10 to 0-11. Westmeath led that match 9-3
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

SHEEDY

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 25, 2023, 07:43:04 PM
Comeback win for Down 1-10 to 0-11. Westmeath led that match 9-3
Westmeath led 11-5 with 20 minutes left but never scored again. For the first 50 minutes it looked like there was only going to be one winner but Down came storming back to claim vital win
nil satis nisi optimum

Shamrock Shore

How bad was Longford v Tipp?

Think of the worst game you have ever seen...........and then make it worse.

Tipp were miles better than Longford and were 5 points up with 5 + stoppage to go. In fairness that was 11 in total but Tipp should have been home and hosed at that stage.

33rd min of the second half before Longford registered their first score of the half. Sweet Lord.

Longford are heading south to Div 4 unless there is a miracle. And I don't see a miracle.

full moon

Longford and Tipp have obviously went back a bit this year it seems. Longfords O'Byrne cup showings seemed to indicate otherwise!

Shamrock Shore

We were prob lulled into a false sense of our own worth by beating has-been and never-will-bes. For example Longford played more or less top 15 in O'Byrne Cup
Final. Louth only played 2 that started league game following week.

League position rarely lies.

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 26, 2023, 07:43:36 PM
We were prob lulled into a false sense of our own worth by beating has-been and never-will-bes. For example Longford played more or less top 15 in O'Byrne Cup
Final. Louth only played 2 that started league game following week.

League position rarely lies.
Sorry there, Sham. If your assertion were true the odds would never change from week to week. Last week Kerry were 4/1. Now 2/1. The past is not prologue. Even for Longford.

Itchy

Solid win for Cavan today. Tit for tat in 1st but Cavan pulled away with last 4 points of the half. Win easy enough in 2nd despite a terrible call from ref to give Johnny McCabe a black card. Paddy Lynch hit 10 points on his 1st start and good to see James Smith back, but rusty. A win against Down in Breffni should see us promoted.

Look-Up!

Interesting table. Looks like promotion is Cavan's to lose at this stage. While not pulling up trees, we're motoring along nicely, our new players are finding their feet well and our injuries are starting to clear up with some having returned to the squad and more to come. We've been wasteful enough at times but from now on, from our point of view we'd hope to see an improvement there as the stakes are raised and intensity of games go up a notch.

Assuming Cavan can secure promotion, the other berth is a hard call with 4 teams in it. Offaly looked a bit light on Sunday but you'd imagine they should win next 2, and if Down lose to us next week, that could leave a Down Offaly showdown in the final round to secure 10 points.
Westmeath are not out of it but I think they have the hardest task of the 4. Antrim is a must win the weekend and while heavily tipped by the bookies I'd have that contest very even. If they do clear that hurdle they have Fermanagh the week after in another possible showdown for both.
Down can lay a big marker this weekend in Breffni and have some players of their own returning. Win and they'll be favourites to go up, but lose and getting to 10 points is not that obvious. Bookies have them 2nd favourite to go up but not sure myself.
While Fermanagh are currently 3rd favourite to go up, I'd fancy them most at this stage. They should be sitting on 8 points come Sunday afternoon and will be praying we beat the Mournemen. Having already beat Down themselves, that would give them a huge advantage in any possible head to head table permutation, and destiny would be firmly in their own hands with Westmeath to visit Enniskillen the week after- a win all but securing promotion.

Tipperary and Longford look favourites for the drop but Antrim, while having played very well so far are in a precarious position. They have a couple of tough games coming up. If they don't go well and either of the bottom 2 can raise their form, they'll be deep in it. And of course there's also the 2 teams on 4 points who still have outside promotion hopes. There's every possibility one or both could be sucked into the relegation mix after round 5. 

Westside

The Down panel is now littered with all Ireland winning Kilcoo players. Eugene Branigan's joining the panel is a clear sign that the Down squad have the winning mentality. As we know, he wouldn't be there if they didn't. He will join a cohort of U20 Ulster winners too. There's not many ways of making a statement in Division 3 but beating a Cavan side that have been cruising thus far, would be a good start.

Wildweasel74

Wouldn't have him near it, wouldn't play for Down when they weren't going well. Derry never invited bck the same type of lads with that attitude even though I thought it make us stronger.

Itchy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 03, 2023, 07:43:50 PM
Wouldn't have him near it, wouldn't play for Down when they weren't going well. Derry never invited bck the same type of lads with that attitude even though I thought it make us stronger.

I'd agree with that. We had our own bighead in Cavan and I thought it was a bad call even to let him into the coaching setup last year. Like who would do what is needed in county football cos Sean Johnston asked you to. He's gone now and Cavan going much better without him. Hope he stays gone this time

Westside

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 03, 2023, 07:43:50 PM

I'm looking forward to him showing the rest of Ulster how winning is done. Sunday will be a good place for him to show his worth.

downtothecore

It is good to have him involved. We will need them all against the MIGHTY cavan.