NFL Division Three 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: seafoid on January 19, 2023, 09:11:24 AM
Quote from: Westside on January 18, 2023, 04:52:21 PM
Will Westmeath suffer from the same malaise that affected Cavan and Tipp in 2021 after Championship successes? Cavan are in a perfect position to test them Sunday week.
It would be a surprise.

Not a huge one. This Westmeath team didn't peak in 2022 - don't let the Tailteann Cup fool you. They wouldn't have been in that competition if they hadn't lost at home to Longford in the league.
The key players are the same ones that made back to back Leinster finals in 2015 & 2016. Backboned by a superb u21 group from 2010. Heslin was the youngest member of that u21 team , and is 30 now. There isn't a sufficient volume of quality coming behind to be anything better than Div 3.
Will possibly get up this year, but would most likely come straight back down , and stay down for quite some time.

Itchy

Looking online I see Westmeath evens and Cavan 6/5. 7-1 for a draw which might be the best value.

rodney trotter

Cavan didn't play that well in a lot of games in Division 4 last year. London nearly stole victory in Ruislip. They need to up the performance against better teams this year.

Look-Up!

I'll go with Offaly for promotion this year. Good young talent with experience of D2 from last year. Lacked physicality which was especially evident in TC v Westmeath but think they should be improving in that department with the extra year. Really shrewd managerial appointment too.
After that plenty of teams can make claims, except maybe Antrim. I think they would be my relegation favourite by a margin. Not clear who else is in line for second drop spot. Again plenty of potential candidates and surprises. I think it will be touch and go for up and down with most teams here heading into game 6. Good start and clear injury runs will be essential.

FermGael

Fermanagh V Longford won't be played on Saturday night .
Brewster park unavailable due to work being done on the pitch and it's the only ground that has floodlights in Fermanagh of a suitable standard.

According to the local press it's either Saturday or Sunday afternoon in Edenery, Tempo or Roslea.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Shamrock Shore

Thanks FermGael. But unless these are emergency works then why was the game fixed for here on a Sat eve in the first place?

2pm throw-in wherever will suit me better than the evening throw-in.

FermGael

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 19, 2023, 09:43:59 PM
Thanks FermGael. But unless these are emergency works then why was the game fixed for here on a Sat eve in the first place?

Good question.

Now there is always the possibility that it could be played somewhere else with lights outside the county .

rodney trotter

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 19, 2023, 07:11:12 PM
I'll go with Offaly for promotion this year. Good young talent with experience of D2 from last year. Lacked physicality which was especially evident in TC v Westmeath but think they should be improving in that department with the extra year. Really shrewd managerial appointment too.
After that plenty of teams can make claims, except maybe Antrim. I think they would be my relegation favourite by a margin. Not clear who else is in line for second drop spot. Again plenty of potential candidates and surprises. I think it will be touch and go for up and down with most teams here heading into game 6. Good start and clear injury runs will be essential.

Offaly playing Longford tomorrow in the O Byrne Cup final, TG4 Youtube at 2. A chance to look at both teams before the league.

Paddy Christie seems to have got most of Longfords best players on the panel. 6 or 7 opted out last year,. Liam Kearns a decent appointment for Offaly.

Down looked decent in the McKenna Cup. I don't think the Johnstons were involved yet, whether Lavety will get them on the panel.

Shamrock Shore

Rodney

We're playing Louth in the final!!

But with regards Longford you are correct. Paddy Christie has coaxed last year's departees back so really there is nobody of county standard staying away.

I would hope that, come the last few games, we are at the business end of things. Staying in Div 3 at the very least, is vital.

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 20, 2023, 02:43:17 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on January 19, 2023, 07:11:12 PM

Offaly playing Longford tomorrow in the O Byrne Cup final, TG4 Youtube at 2. A chance to look at both teams before the league.

Paddy Christie seems to have got most of Longfords best players on the panel. 6 or 7 opted out last year,. Liam Kearns a decent appointment for Offaly.

Down looked decent in the McKenna Cup. I don't think the Johnstons were involved yet, whether Lavety will get them on the panel.
Yeah it's really difficult to call at this stage. No standout team really. I've called Offaly as one I fancy, good squad, good manager who will be laying down a marker, but at the same time wouldn't be overly shocked if they fall flat.
There's just so many teams in there who with a little improvement have D2 credentials but could just as likely have a/another bad year.
My own Cavan, I feel there's experience there with physicality, quality and doggedness plus there's some nice looking footballers coming through. So all in all I should be more confident for a D3 campaign than I am. I just see us struggling scoreboard wise and the spine of the defence, even though well established, look shaky at times. Midfield another puzzle. With Thomas Galligan gone we're back to blooding which takes time. Question marks over James Smith too fitness/injury wise. A consistent free taker inside the 45 would also be nice. I wish I was as confident as the bookmakers.

FermGael

2 p.m throw in on the Saturday in Edenery

rodney trotter

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 20, 2023, 04:11:03 PM
Rodney

We're playing Louth in the final!!

But with regards Longford you are correct. Paddy Christie has coaxed last year's departees back so really there is nobody of county standard staying away.

I would hope that, come the last few games, we are at the business end of things. Staying in Div 3 at the very least, is vital.

Ah yeah indeed. There was a bit of confusion with teams pulling out and Offaly then not playing Louth in Semi

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: FermGael on January 20, 2023, 04:53:27 PM

2 p.m throw in on the Saturday in Edenery

Thanks FermGael. Looks like a decent pitch and at least there is a stand. Prob best to bring the thermals all the same.

FermGael

It's a great set up and a credit to the club
It's a small stand .
Pitch is in great shape.

There are colder places in Fermanagh.
We could have taken you to our center of excellence in Lissan.

seafoid

Longford won the league in 1966. That must have been some night.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU