NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 08, 2023, 09:57:27 AM
Kerry might kick on now and become a great team but were there to be beaten last year. Dublin had a horror start to semi-final but were still there or thereabouts, if Con O'Callaghan was fit to play Kerry don't make the final. I think because the outcome eventually went as widely expected and predicted that people have forgot that a flawed enough Galway team were well in the final with a shot until the last 5 minutes, the margins were very tight, few less mistakes and one or two more players showing up better, it could be a different result.

Now that the burden is off them and they have the medals, the squad they have available compared to other counties, having Clifford etc. then you'd have to have them as favourites but if they play to the same levels as last year, they are not unbeatable.
Yeah agreed, on a different day the Dubs had them beat and it took a monster free from O'Shea to win it- same with Galway in the final it could have finished up differently.

seafoid

I think it depends on what version of Dublin turns up.

Rossfan

Time for a change from Dublin/Kerry/Tyrone.
Must be 18 out of last 20 won by them 3?
How teams handle the new system might have some influence.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2023, 10:19:19 AM
Cork 2010 Donegal 2012. Who was last before that? Us in 02?

Hopefully ourselves/Galway/Mayo can make a break through within the next few years.

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 08, 2023, 10:27:24 AM

Hopefully ourselves/Galway/Mayo can make a break through within the next few years.
I think Tyrone might have won a few. The 00s were fine with a good spread of counties but the 10s were dreadful

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2023, 10:40:14 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 08, 2023, 10:27:24 AM

I think Tyrone might have won a few. The 00s were fine with a good spread of counties but the 10s were dreadful
Rossfan said time for change from Kerry/Mayo/Tyrone. And those Tyrone ones are blanked from memory ;)

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteGalway and Annaghdown forward Damien Comer has received some good news from the results of a scan on the leg he injured in a collision with two Roscommon players last Sunday in Pearse Stadium. The injury happened in the early stages of a National League game in Pearse Stadium, which Galway ultimately lost by 0-9 to 0-8. The game was held up for almost 6 minutes as Comer was stretchered off, but it now appears there was no damage to the cruciate ligaments, but severe bone swelling will require a recovery period of 6 to 8 weeks, almost certainly ruling him out of the remainder of the league. With no surgery required, the Galway football management will be confident of having their All-Star forward back for their opening championship game on April 23rd against Mayo or Roscommon in a Connacht semi-final.

armaghniac

That is good news for Comer. It is always sad to see players who are only going to have a few seasons at the top then lose one of them because of injury. It may put pressure on Galway in the league though
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 08, 2023, 12:18:16 PM
QuoteGalway and Annaghdown forward Damien Comer has received some good news from the results of a scan on the leg he injured in a collision with two Roscommon players last Sunday in Pearse Stadium. The injury happened in the early stages of a National League game in Pearse Stadium, which Galway ultimately lost by 0-9 to 0-8. The game was held up for almost 6 minutes as Comer was stretchered off, but it now appears there was no damage to the cruciate ligaments, but severe bone swelling will require a recovery period of 6 to 8 weeks, almost certainly ruling him out of the remainder of the league. With no surgery required, the Galway football management will be confident of having their All-Star forward back for their opening championship game on April 23rd against Mayo or Roscommon in a Connacht semi-final.

A huge relief its not his cruciate but Comer does take a while to get back to his best after returning from injury. Galway are due to play the winners of Mayo & Roscommon 11 weeks from him getting injured, wouldn't be too optimistic about him having much of an impact.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 08, 2023, 12:23:19 PM

A huge relief its not his cruciate but Comer does take a while to get back to his best after returning from injury. Galway are due to play the winners of Mayo & Roscommon 11 weeks from him getting injured, wouldn't be too optimistic about him having much of an impact.
Agreed, I wouldn't bank on any impact in April but hopefully in the new fangled round robin system (I'm assuming that Galway should be there even if relegated from Div one and missing a Connacht final, is there any possible scenario where we miss out?) we'll see Comer back playing well.

imtommygunn

There is a scenario where you miss out but it requires a lot of "weaker" teams to get to provincial finals which is unlikely to happen.

blanketattack

Quote from: Ulster Frank on February 07, 2023, 03:31:22 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on February 07, 2023, 12:25:13 PM
Great performance by the Kerry full-forward line on Sunday.
Hard to see David Clifford getting his spot back now. Maybe he could do a job in midfield.

Kerry B team would win Division 2 and make last 8 of championship.  Jack could win next 4/5 All Irelands with Mayo and  the Dubs in transition.  Clifford will only get better in coming years.

The Kerry B team lost to a very poor Donegal B team!

illdecide

He's a brute of a man, I think he carries a wee bit too much timber but suppose that's his frame, that's probably why he takes a wee bit loknger to get fit than others.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

The question has been asked a few times on J Hall, I'm fairly certain KMcG plays him for his tracking back and running. Spoiling players and an orange jersey in a space that the opposition won't run into. Now that's my theory but my own opinion what he brings to that side of the game he takes away in the attacking side of the game. He's a half forward who offers no attacking threat whatsoever and I personally would swap him out as I believe we have better options but who am I?.

As for the game last Sunday, I brought two Scottish guys to the game and had to appologise to them at HT for the poor standard of football from both teams and promised them it would get better in the second half. It did get better for Mayo who should have won at a canter but let Armagh have a sniff with a few minutes to go. TBF both Scottish guys loved it in the end and enjoyed the atmosphere espicially the last 5mins and +5mins injury time. think it was Benny said and I agree 100% we have played two games and have 3pts on the board and I say we've played well for 10 mins in Monaghan game and 10 mins v Mayo. Armagh have some very tough games coming up and need at least another win to stay safe but where are they gonna get it?, The Rossies are top but are they really that good?, they beat Tyrone scoring 3 goals that were gifted and from what i seen Galway were really poor last week. Rosscommon v Armagh next weekend will be a cracker with both teams targeting this game as their safety net and will probably end up 3-16 - 2-18 crazy scoreline.

As for the Ref last week...Thought he was poor enough, he gave some very soft free's to both teams for little to no contact. I hope things improve
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

weareros

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 08, 2023, 12:38:09 PM

Agreed, I wouldn't bank on any impact in April but hopefully in the new fangled round robin system (I'm assuming that Galway should be there even if relegated from Div one and missing a Connacht final, is there any possible scenario where we miss out?) we'll see Comer back playing well.

If provincial finals panned out like this, last team in Div 1 would not make it.

1st 9 spots
Westmeath - qualified.
Mayo v Sligo
Kerry v Limerick
Kildare v Meath
Derry v Cavan

Div 1 - current standings

Roscommon 10
Armagh 11
Kerry - ranked from provincial
Tyrone 12
Mayo - ranked from provincial