NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Mario on February 06, 2023, 01:03:54 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on February 06, 2023, 10:46:06 AM
Never boring watching Armagh or Mayo anyway. Great game and great to genuinely be able to compete with the big teams again. That early score was 100% over but given wide, joke of a call and hope it doesnt end up costing us later! Rossies with 2 big wins so will be a tough place to go, fair play to them as plenty tipped them from the drop.

Referee yesterday was absolutely abysmal for both teams. Far far too soft, players going down after any contact and it was a free. Who tf wants to see that
As a neutral, he definitely favoured Armagh.

They got a good few soft frees at the end to even it up.
Grugan took some dive that time he ran through in 2nd half. By the way he went down I thought Armagh were gonna need the Air Ambulance but thankfully he got up and was able to play on through the pain barrier.

Tubberman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 06, 2023, 01:08:06 PM
There was soft frees galore during the match, that was no certainly no free at the end. Ryan O'Donoghue certainly knows how to win a free, its bad enough that he's small enough without him ducking into challenges.

Yep, ref was poor for both teams, and he seemed to favour whoever had the momentum, which is not a good sign.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Armagh18

Felt as though Mayo got a lot of handy frees but then I'll obviously notice those more so than ours! We seemed to catch on late in the second half to go down under any contact and you'll get a free. Last free was very soft, but we were due it since we were robbed of s point early on

Armamike

These things balance themselves out over a season.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armagh18

Quote from: Tubberman on February 06, 2023, 01:31:29 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 06, 2023, 01:08:06 PM
There was soft frees galore during the match, that was no certainly no free at the end. Ryan O'Donoghue certainly knows how to win a free, its bad enough that he's small enough without him ducking into challenges.

Yep, ref was poor for both teams, and he seemed to favour whoever had the momentum, which is not a good sign.
Far far too soft imo

seafoid

Soft free is such a GAA concept.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

Are Armagh supporters still happy with the Ethan Rafferty experiment? Seems to mix the very good with the very bad.

naka

Quote from: square_ball on February 06, 2023, 03:32:38 PM
Are Armagh supporters still happy with the Ethan Rafferty experiment? Seems to mix the very good with the very bad.
its very risky  so its 50/50 at the moment
but tbf he is very safe under the high ball in which is a help
Should have conceded another gaol on sunday with a poor kickout but his strong running outfield definitely is an added atribute.
the summer will tell a tale as am sure better teams will target him out of his nets on a turnover

Armagh18

Yes. Unbelievable under the high ball but kickouts still need work. Coming out the field gives us that extra man, invaluable asset

David McKeown

Quote from: naka on February 06, 2023, 03:40:57 PM
its very risky  so its 50/50 at the moment
but tbf he is very safe under the high ball in which is a help
Should have conceded another gaol on sunday with a poor kickout but his strong running outfield definitely is an added atribute.
the summer will tell a tale as am sure better teams will target him out of his nets on a turnover

I wasnt happy with it initially but I think utilised correctly its fantastic.  I dont think the balls given away on kickouts are all his fault with Armagh's kickout strategy being sorely lacking when teams push up.  I think the goal chance Mayo squandered at the end was more a result of the fact that it was the end of the game and Armagh were desperately seeking an equaliser. As you say he was excellent under the high ball yesterday and really commanding of his area.  So I am happy to persist with it but I still think more work needs done on creating options and mismatches for him to exploit.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Solo_run

I get the impression from Rafferty that nothing seems to phase him. If he makes a mistake, he shrugs it off and does better then next time. With the way he plays there is a mistake in him and in the future it could be costly.

Applesisapples

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 05, 2023, 05:49:09 PM
Armaghs first point looked over to me. Anyone who was watching on tele able to confirm of the umpires made the right call?
Yeah looked over on the replay, good draw but both teams had the winning of it. Criticism of the Ref is harsh seeing all the frees on replay it was hard to fault him. Aidan O'Shea was immense in that 2nd half. Armagh are squandering to many chances.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2023, 09:45:02 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 05, 2023, 09:39:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2023, 09:08:44 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 05, 2023, 06:19:08 PM
Armagh have played 20 minutes football over 2 games and have 3 points on the board so that is a positive, McCabe is available after suspension for the next game and hopefully some injuries will clear up soon. Ross McQuillan surely deserves a start? What does Hall offer - I just can't understand how he continually gets a starting spot.

17-17 sounds like a great game but I thought it was Shite bar the last 10 minutes tbh (& freezing). Made no use of a significant breeze in the 1st half at all, very little direct ball played in - the wind totally died away in the 2nd half too so Mayo didn't have that advantage. I dunno who I would have given MOTM to, probably Ethan Rafferty, he made a few mistakes but he's got a big set of balls and never shys away from it. Turbitt is a top quality player, looks like a bit of a lazy sod sometimes but there's gold in them boots.

Edit - the ref was terrible, blew every tiny bit of contact, just awful.

So the ref was consistent in calling frees? So no benefit to either team at least players know then what they can do and not do

I remember discussing this with a couple of inter county footballers years ago and being told players don't want consistency from a referee. They want the correct decision and a sensible approach.

Watch few minutes of the Armagh game today, there was a blatant free for Mayo, yet the Armagh lads complained like the ref was a 'cheat'.. here's the thing about players, they never foul any tackles they do are within the rules and the ref has it in for them... you couldn't please them if ya tried.

So the moral of the story is this, players want every call going their way regardless
Complaining was going both ways, I thought the Ref did well.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: seafoid on February 06, 2023, 02:41:51 PM
Soft free is such a GAA concept.
Galway got a free yesterday, that wasn't a free to my eyes, a soft one that was tapped over the bar. Ref knew he made a mistake I'd say and gave everything to the Rossies after that, this craic of evening it all up will never change.

Blowitupref

Hopefully the injury to Comer isn't a bad as fear. Watching the incident last night it seemed to happen when he landed awkward

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose