NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

One can't underestimate Monaghan's ability to avoid the drop however relegation looks to be a three way fight between Monaghan, Donegal, Roscommon. Whoever beats each other will likely stay up and 4 points could be enough?

Then again who would have predicted Dublin to get relegated this time last year.

APM

Big year for Armagh.  Last year they had great momentum, benefiting from Dublin and Tyrone's poor form and carried an element of surprise and very good form into both games, running up big first half leads.  However, after that their form dipped quite a bit - they were poor against Monaghan, unconvincing against Kildare, beat by Mayo, Kerry and Donegal.  Hope it won't be the case, but I can see Armagh supporters biting their nails on the last day. 

I see it finishing like this. 

Mayo - McStay to get a new manager bounce
Tyrone - Bit between the teeth after a poor 2022
Galway - Expect them to continue from where they left off last year
Kerry - Might take them a while to get going
Armagh - Despite good performances last year, they were still inconsistent overall; don't see that changing and likely to drop important points
Monaghan - Corey to get a bit of a bounce - will take a few scalps
Roscommon - Will be surprised if they stay up given their history of yo-yoing
Donegal - Look like a team entering transition and losing momentum

seafoid

Off the ball power fuball ranking

10 Monaghan
9 Ros
8  Donegal
7 Tyrone
6  Derry
5 Mayo
4 Armagh
3. Galway
2. Dubs
1. Kerry

https://youtu.be/e9Pgx0CyxJo&t=2700s
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

joemamas

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 17, 2023, 04:09:57 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2023, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: joemamas on January 17, 2023, 03:21:56 PM
This is more of a Connacht/ AI series Q.
If Mayo/Galway/Roscommon finish in bottom two, does that mean the loser in the Connacht Cship between those teams does not qualify for the last 16, as two of them cannot reach the Connacht final.
I am not fully up,to,speed on the new championship format.
Either way it looks like being a very competitive league.
is it not the 8 provincial finalists, Westmeath as TC winners and then the next 7 teams by league ranking outside of those 9? Division 1 teams are safe enough.
Yes all of this year's Div 1 teams will be playing the last 16 of the championship.

Thank you for clarification.

From the Bunker

Mayo - I expect Mayo to struggle this year. McStay has assembled a backroom team that have been there before and failed.
Tyrone - They will be there or there abouts in the Championship.
Galway - This will be a tough year for Galway, expectations are high and they'll find it hard to live up to them.
Kerry - Will rest a plethora of lads for the League. They'll expect to win Sam again this year, and if they don't they'll moan for the year about the hurt not winning it.
Armagh - Got a bit of the bounce last year. Geezer is a real back-door Manager.
Monaghan - Coming to a natural end.
Roscommon - Will be back in Division 2. They have always enough to upset Mayo and Galway in Connacht on their day.
Donegal - Murphy retiring might be the best thing to happen to the county. They need to find new young energetic leaders and not leave it all to one man like the last decade.

(Dublin will hammer everyone on Division 2 and will win Sam.)

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 18, 2023, 08:12:42 PM
Mayo - I expect Mayo to struggle this year. McStay has assembled a backroom team that have been there before and failed.
Galway - This will be a tough year for Galway, expectations are high and they'll find it hard to live up to them.
Kerry - Will rest a plethora of lads for the League. They'll expect to win Sam again this year, and if they don't they'll moan for the year about the hurt not winning it.
Roscommon - Will be back in Division 2. They have always enough to upset Mayo and Galway in Connacht on their day.
Donegal - Murphy retiring might be the best thing to happen to the county. They need to find new young energetic leaders and not leave it all to one man like the last decade.

It's a while since a team playing out of Div 2 won the All Ireland.  You must have the Kerry mindset if you think Mayo failed under Donie Buckley, Rochford previously although Rochford last year with Mayo which resulted in unexpected exit to Kildare was poor.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 18, 2023, 09:07:05 PM

It's a while since a team playing out of Div 2 won the All Ireland.  You must have the Kerry mindset if you think Mayo failed under Donie Buckley, Rochford previously although Rochford last year with Mayo which resulted in unexpected exit to Kildare was poor.

Rochford won nothing. Never mind an All Ireland, he failed to win a Connacht title.

Buckley has never climbed the stairs on AI day either.

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 18, 2023, 09:25:30 PM

Rochford won nothing. Never mind an All Ireland, he failed to win a Connacht title.

Rochford won an All-Ireland club title as player and as manager.  He also led Mayo to back to back all Irelands and the finest Mayo final performance I ever saw in 2017.

A lot more than nothing, you don't have to give false praise but I don't see the point in being falsely negative either.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2023, 06:31:00 PM

10 Monaghan
9 Ros
8  Donegal
7 Tyrone
6  Derry
5 Mayo
4 Armagh
3. Galway
2. Dubs
1. Kerry

Think the AI is as wide open as ever. Speaking from an Armagh perspective, I think we give any team on that list a game and could beat any of them on our day but are equally capable of losing to any of them. Footballs a funny game.

joemamas

Did you have a bad pint last night ?

Kinda of hard to beat Galway playing with 14 men for over 40-45 minutes, which happened to Rochford two years in a row.
Buckley is an excellent coach.

From the Bunker

Quote from: joemamas on January 18, 2023, 09:58:55 PM

Did you have a bad pint last night ?

Kinda of hard to beat Galway playing with 14 men for over 40-45 minutes, which happened to Rochford two years in a row.
Buckley is an excellent coach.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Cunny Funt

[Rochford won nothing. Never mind an All Ireland, he failed to win a Connacht title.

Yes you are confirming the Kerry mindset of failure unless Sam Maguire is won. I do wonder would Mayo have been the regular AI finalists and hugely competitive team against the best of the best had it not been for the huge input of the likes of Donie Buckley.

seafoid

All Ireland winning experience helps but  is not required to win an all Ireland.

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 09:49:28 PM

10 Monaghan
9 Ros
8  Donegal
7 Tyrone
6  Derry
5 Mayo
4 Armagh
3. Galway
2. Dubs
1. Kerry

Think the AI is as wide open as ever. Speaking from an Armagh perspective, I think we give any team on that list a game and could beat any of them on our day but are equally capable of losing to any of them. Footballs a funny game.

Armagh are my dark horses..... for relegation

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2023, 10:37:34 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on January 18, 2023, 09:49:28 PM

10 Monaghan
9 Ros
8  Donegal
7 Tyrone
6  Derry
5 Mayo
4 Armagh
3. Galway
2. Dubs
1. Kerry

Armagh are my dark horses..... for relegation
Mine too