Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Not sure about the pitch excuse. Derry was dreadful defensively and area of the team they pride themselves in. A system meltdown that can be fixed before the championship starts? 

WhoDat

derry really lacked leadership when glass went off. that has to be a worry for them. no one stood up and took the reins and in fact, they played like they were down to 14 at times in that second half.

marty34

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2023, 07:36:25 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2023, 06:17:19 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2023, 06:01:15 PM
Missing 2 out of 3 in the full back line today and it showed.
U20s players are a key part of this team.

Derry look like they've just put in a serious week of training so I wouldn't be too concerned about the goals going in.
We dominated first half and should prob have had 2 goals and a penalty for a foot block.
Second half, Dublin goals were the difference and they could have had more. Though the first one was definitely a square ball.
Biggest concern now is injuries.

Lot of nonsense talked about derrys game not working on the wide open croke Park pitch. Owenbeag dime signs are the exact same as croke pitch and the game works there ok.

This game was all about putting in a performance and we got that in the first half.
Losing glass was huge.
Couple of refereeing decisions at key moments didn't help us, but Dublin deserved the result.
I don't think they are world beaters though.

Lynch didn't have the usual protection but he still did well with a couple of good saves, good kickouts and did well out the field.

I'd say Gallagher is reasonably content.

Funny, in the two games at Croke Park, they've been badly beaten.

Explain that.

Plus I'd say Gallagher will not be "reasonably content". He would have wanted to beat Dublin especially in Croke Park.

Well there were 3 games in croke  over last season and this season.
We beat Clare,  a team we're probably better than.
We got beat by Galway and Dublin. Dublin full of all Ireland winners and Galway who won div 2 last year. So both arguably better teams than us.
What's that got to do with a pitch.
Utter nonsense.

My point being that V Galway and Dublin that Derry were well in the game but run out of steam on the big CP pitch.

Clare, are, well, Clare.  Big games v Galway and Dublin have exposed Derry a bit in many ways.

Well in game at half-time but get opposition put the foot down in 2 nd half. Compare Croke Park with Ardee or Celtic Park. No issues there.

As I stated, need a bigger panel. Injuries today with Mc Kaigue and Glass has exposed a lack of depth.   

I always find it strange that lads are in changing rooms for 15/20 mins and come straight out and start the game. Only time I see a team do any sort of movement is if they're out waiting for the other team to come out.

Plenty to work on and Gallagher knows that.  Not a bad place to be.

Estimator

Derry were very poor in attack, so was surprised to see a stat flashed up on the big screen late on in the second half -
Scoring chances created:
Dublin 20
Derry 19

Think the forwards were blocked down at least 4 times in the that game, going for shots that obviously going to be blocked. I'd be surprised if they'd that many in their previous 7 games combined.

McCarron got the curly finger before half time, but anyone of the front 6 (bar McGuigan) could've gone at that stage.

Defensive were caught with a few simple mistakes. No McKaigue or McEvoy in the FB line really unsettled the side.

Was sure the goal was square ball but would have to see it again, still expect Lynch to clear everything out there. Penalty appeared to be soft enough, but seen them given, thought Loughlin might have had one at the other end, but again need to see them back.

Lahiff was taken off before he was sent off, not sure how he made it as long as he did.

Derry achieved their league goal this year of promotion. Disappointing end to the campaign, but we need the injuries to clear up before the C'Ship in two weeks.

Ulster League Champions 2009

tbrick18

Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2023, 08:32:44 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2023, 07:36:25 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2023, 06:17:19 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 02, 2023, 06:01:15 PM
Missing 2 out of 3 in the full back line today and it showed.
U20s players are a key part of this team.

Derry look like they've just put in a serious week of training so I wouldn't be too concerned about the goals going in.
We dominated first half and should prob have had 2 goals and a penalty for a foot block.
Second half, Dublin goals were the difference and they could have had more. Though the first one was definitely a square ball.
Biggest concern now is injuries.

Lot of nonsense talked about derrys game not working on the wide open croke Park pitch. Owenbeag dime signs are the exact same as croke pitch and the game works there ok.

This game was all about putting in a performance and we got that in the first half.
Losing glass was huge.
Couple of refereeing decisions at key moments didn't help us, but Dublin deserved the result.
I don't think they are world beaters though.

Lynch didn't have the usual protection but he still did well with a couple of good saves, good kickouts and did well out the field.

I'd say Gallagher is reasonably content.

Funny, in the two games at Croke Park, they've been badly beaten.

Explain that.

Plus I'd say Gallagher will not be "reasonably content". He would have wanted to beat Dublin especially in Croke Park.

Well there were 3 games in croke  over last season and this season.
We beat Clare,  a team we're probably better than.
We got beat by Galway and Dublin. Dublin full of all Ireland winners and Galway who won div 2 last year. So both arguably better teams than us.
What's that got to do with a pitch.
Utter nonsense.

My point being that V Galway and Dublin that Derry were well in the game but run out of steam on the big CP pitch.

Clare, are, well, Clare.  Big games v Galway and Dublin have exposed Derry a bit in many ways.

Well in game at half-time but get opposition put the foot down in 2 nd half. Compare Croke Park with Ardee or Celtic Park. No issues there.

As I stated, need a bigger panel. Injuries today with Mc Kaigue and Glass has exposed a lack of depth.   

I always find it strange that lads are in changing rooms for 15/20 mins and come straight out and start the game. Only time I see a team do any sort of movement is if they're out waiting for the other team to come out.

Plenty to work on and Gallagher knows that.  Not a bad place to be.

Last year against Galway fitness was a factor.
I don't think think it is now.
I think this match was just another game and one not very high up the priority list and so the team trained hard this week after having a week off.
They looked tired from 10 15 mins into the first half.
Then the u20s played during the week.
Mckaigue injured, glass injured, a reshuffled full back line and a couple of dodgy decisions in the first half.

We still restricted Dublin to 6 points. 
And should have had a couple of goals of our own.
But Dublin deserved the win. I just think there were mitigating factors today.
Gallagher is prepping for championship,  not a div2 final. The single biggest concern from today is injuries.
Glass, mcgrogan both off injured. Etha doherty must have had some type of injury too.

Derry this year have progressed from last year.
The game today didn't demonstrate that for the reasons above imo.
But we are an entirely more unpredictable attacking force than last year partly due to Rogers moving to mf.
We didn't have mcwiliams come on today either and both downeys who came on haven't played much football either.

Yes the goals were disappointing,  but I still believe we'll really challenge ulster and be around at the business end of the season.

Rawhide

Eventually Gallaghers reluctance to trust his panel came home to roost in massive style today. Putting boys into do a mans job. Declean Cassidy has to b considering why. Only two forwards worth their salt was McGuigan and Cassidy, was he whb due to injuries in the fb line
cccc is a true supporter lol

Walter Cronc

Ethan doc was played at LHB according to Cahair okane. I didn't notice it from the telly. Another reshuffle which hampered our attack.

Look not a great day at the office but hopefully injuries aren't serious and we'll be competitive in Ulster and AI series. McFaul joining panel tomorrow. Huge addition.

On a sidenote Paul Cassidy is developing into a superb footballer. For a lad who was a FF scoring machine at underage he's really added so many strings to his bow! Fair play

NotedObserver

Thought there wasn't much quality on show with only the seasoned players  from Dublin providing some odd moments. It seems Derry can be shut down when teams do their homework. Think they will prob win Ulster but looks unlikely they can win Sam. They will need all their players fit and Mcfaul back in and in the forward line

CK_Redhand

I thought Paul Cassidy showed poor judgement today, shooting from low percentage positions. He appears to have the talent and I'm sure he'll improve.

I'm not too sure McFaul will be a success. Unlikely to pick up his form after a long time out and might unsettle the team. Famous last words maybe.

tbrick18

Cassidy had a couple of very good scores but yes made a few poor decisions.
But, I'd give him credit for trying to show leadership and make something happen.
I wouldn't be too sore on him after today. He was one of our better players.

BrotherMore6592

Derry found out for the second time when they hit croke park against a well drilled team.

The ulster championship just got real interesting and all of a sudden Derry are no world beaters. Tyrone and Monaghan will be lapping that result up yesterday, Derry could have been beaten by a cricket score

Mario

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on April 03, 2023, 05:48:22 AM
Derry found out for the second time when they hit croke park against a well drilled team.

The ulster championship just got real interesting and all of a sudden Derry are no world beaters. Tyrone and Monaghan will be lapping that result up yesterday, Derry could have been beaten by a cricket score
A lot of people waiting 9 months for Derry to lose a game to say we have been found out, overated, can't do it in Croke park etc. We've came from Div 4 in a few years, are ulster champions, are in D1, that's more than enough for most Derry fans. We didn't think we were going to win the All ireland and we aren't quite at the level of the top 4 teams yet but if things go right we are capable of beating them in a one off game. A lot didn't go right yesterday (square ball goal, McKaigue injury, missed goal chances in 1st half when we were on top, Glass injury, soft penalty, goal where they went for a point) and we lost, it's not the end of the world. Outside the top 4 I think we are better than the other sides with a full team but there isn't much between us Tyrone and Armagh.

Hoping McFaul can make a big impact if he can get up to speed, before last year i thought he was the best player in the county.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Mario on April 03, 2023, 08:48:48 AM

A lot of people waiting 9 months for Derry to lose a game to say we have been found out, overated, can't do it in Croke park etc. We've came from Div 4 in a few years, are ulster champions, are in D1, that's more than enough for most Derry fans. We didn't think we were going to win the All ireland and we aren't quite at the level of the top 4 teams yet but if things go right we are capable of beating them in a one off game. A lot didn't go right yesterday (square ball goal, McKaigue injury, missed goal chances in 1st half when we were on top, Glass injury, soft penalty, goal where they went for a point) and we lost, it's not the end of the world. Outside the top 4 I think we are better than the other sides with a full team but there isn't much between us Tyrone and Armagh.

Hoping McFaul can make a big impact if he can get up to speed, before last year i thought he was the best player in the county.

At last a bit of sense.

93-DY-SAM

Finally someone with a bit of perspective on things. I think that statement more than sums it up for Derry people. Yes, it wasn't a great day in HQ but we'll not lose much sleep over it. Others might by the looks of things.

tbrick18

Bang on there.
I'd have us as a top 5 team where on any given day we could beat any of the top teams.
That's serious progress for us given where we have come from.
Of course I'm disappointed in the manner of goals conceded yesterday, but I'm not too disappointed about the result and I know we are better than what we showed yesterday.

For what it's worth, my pecking order at the moment would be Mayo, Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Derry, Tyrone/Armagh/Roscommon all on a par with Monaghan running them close.

McFaul will be a huge addition if he's anywhere close to the form he was in previously playing for Derry. Hard to know what level he'll be at though. I'd imagine he'll be a panel player this year who will provide depth and experience to MF and Forward departments. That can only be good.