Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: screenexile on February 26, 2023, 10:03:22 PM
I agree with tbrick... we have had an easy time so far.

The Meath game was built up as they'd played so well against Cork but they were very average and while it's been our best performance they were really poor.

The next 3 games are massive! Win one and we should still get through but in truth we should be in Div 1 and should win 2 out of 3. As has been said the Dubs have been average so far and I think we have more than a fighting chance against them.

I'm excited for what's ahead but we need to get up and if we do then Ulster is absolutely possible again and who knows what else!

We haven't really been tested so it's difficult to really know where we are at.
When Cork played Meath early in the league I thought Derry would beat both, but I think of all the teams in the Division, Cork have improved the most. They'll be difficult to contain, but they also haven't come up against a team like Derry, so it'll be interesting.
On current form, Dublin are a shadow of their former selves. But they still have top notch footballers so it could all click at any time. Jack McCaffery in particular is a huge plus to Dublin and could be the player to bring them on a level this year.
Clare looked to play really well against the Dubs. Don't know how they let such a lead go in such a short period of time though. Derry beat them reasonably comfortably last year and I don't know if Clare have progressed enough to turn that around.

Derry are by no means raging hot favourites for any of the final 3 games, but we could win all of them. We could also lose all of them.

I have to say, I love this new condensed league with games practically every week. I know there's a long time between the end of the county season and the following year, but it really does add a different level of excitement with games coming thick and fast.

Captain Scarlet

For Clare that's two games in a row they kinda threw it away in the dying minutes. They are still a solid outfit and consistent in this division.

Kildare's season is goosed if we lose to Louth. I don't see us picking things up all of a sudden away to Meath. Looking at the Derry match relegation beckons with the lack of plan and the lack of fight around the field.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

5times5times

Just watched the highlights on bbc of Derry Kildare... Seemed to be about 2-3 claps for a derry score? Was the crowd as small as it sounds???

armaghniac

Quote from: 5times5times on February 27, 2023, 11:55:51 AM
Just watched the highlights on bbc of Derry Kildare... Seemed to be about 2-3 claps for a derry score? Was the crowd as small as it sounds???

You wouldn't want to go overboard while hammering Kildare, I'd say that there will be more enthusiasm for beating the Dubs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

I was down at it, Derry wouldn't have great travelling support,

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 27, 2023, 05:38:32 PM
I was down at it, Derry wouldn't have great travelling support,

Couple of hundred I would say

rodney trotter

Monaghan punch above their weight in Division 1 and Roscommon back up this year. Kildare and Meath much bigger counties but way off those counties. Leinster has the most counties but some amount of poor teams.

Wildweasel74

There good enough players in Kildare, but they need a proper system of play to make the maximum off.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 27, 2023, 06:43:20 PM
There good enough players in Kildare, but they need a proper system of play to make the maximum off.

They have some good players like Kevin Feely, Daniel Flynn, O Grady. A few good underage teams

Kildare beat Dublin last year in the league and there was a pitch invasion. Both teams ended up being relegated. Maybe just a relief to have beaten Dublin after all the losses, but they then played Dublin in Leinster and the game was over at half time.

Though Ryan set them up very poor, going man to man

seafoid

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 27, 2023, 06:09:51 PM
Monaghan punch above their weight in Division 1 and Roscommon back up this year. Kildare and Meath much bigger counties but way off those counties. Leinster has the most counties but some amount of poor teams.
The GAA destroyed the Leinster football championship by prioritising Dublin.
It's not Kildare's fault that they are shite.

rodney trotter

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2023, 07:19:27 PM

Yeah but they should be doing better in the League. If Kildare don't finish in the top 4 of Division 2, they will be playing Tailtean Cup.

imtommygunn

Also as with any county it's their own fault if they're underachieving. Dublin can't be blamed for everything.

The depth in Leinster has got very poor.

The next few weeks should tell us where cork are and if there's anyone decent other than Kerry.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2023, 07:19:27 PM

Kildare had a lot of good successful underage teams in Leinster over the last number of years including wins over Dublin. Something not right about them at the moment and they even gave a far better account of themselves in Div 1 last year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

imtommygunn

Something in their setup isn't right as they are better than that. The defeat to Dublin last year in Leinster, or the manner of it, an awful kick in the nuts whether that contributed or no t I don't know but they should be so much better.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 27, 2023, 08:27:30 PM
Also as with any county it's their own fault if they're underachieving. Dublin can't be blamed for everything.

The depth in Leinster has got very poor.

The next few weeks should tell us where cork are and if there's anyone decent other than Kerry.
The structure in Leinster was dysfunctional for a decade. A "generation" of Kildare footballers didn't learn anything.
Meath are the same. Very fragile.  Both counties are playing catch up now. The irony is that Dublin are probably beatable but neither county is in a position to take advantage of that.