Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClubScene13

Quote from: Derryman forever on February 20, 2023, 07:47:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 07:36:45 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on February 20, 2023, 07:32:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 06:42:11 PM
Dublin are playing at Division 2 standard.
Meath lost to Derry. Can anyone other than Dublin beat them?
Is promotion a foregone conclusion?

Would it be Derry Arrogance , do you think , to say that Derry could lose any of theirfour remaining games.
Kildare must surely pull out one great game in this competition especially as they creep closer to the void. Dublin are improving game on game, Cork are also improving each week and Clare awill be looking forward to a reckoning .
So if you don't think this is Derry arrogance I would say Derry are not unbeatable,  unless the 4 remaining managers want to bring the same level of Naivety to the game as Colm O'Rourke did.
Derry were sloppy, if not arrogant, last year with their approach to the last 2 matches against Connacht teams, especially Roscommon. 
I don't see any sign of that this year. Cork versus Derry should be interesting,

So you accuse me of Arrogance up the board and now want to pretend that you were referring to last year's Derry games?

But Derry while possibly being sloppy last year were never arrogant  and still aren't.
They were very unlucky against Roscommon and totally outmatched by Galway  in both Games.
I am hoping that what I have seen of Derry so far this  year is indicating that they have come on a bit, and hopefully,young McEvoy will maintain his form to allow Brendan Rogers more freedom.  Young Murray and Mc Williams seem to be staking a claim. And Paul Cassidy and Niall Toner are growing jn confidence. And Ethan Doherty has a great deal to give yet.

Ethan is a gem of a player, a class act

Derryman forever

@clubscene13.
Ethan Doherty is an unbelievably hardworking,  unselfish and skilled player. And got so much more to give.

The Hill is Blue

From a Dub perspective it was great to see JackMac coming on in Cork. He seems to be in fine form and we'll up for the job.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

imtommygunn

Division two very interesting round the bottom. Limerick probably clear favourites but the other position interesting. I dunno if Meath a huge amount better than Louth then Kildare in there too. I'd expect Kildare to pull themselves out of it but Clare, Louth, Meath and even cork could get pulled in there. A betting man might say Louth but I am not so sure.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 20, 2023, 10:27:13 PM
Division two very interesting round the bottom. Limerick probably clear favourites but the other position interesting. I dunno if Meath a huge amount better than Louth then Kildare in there too. I'd expect Kildare to pull themselves out of it but Clare, Louth, Meath and even cork could get pulled in there. A betting man might say Louth but I am not so sure.
Louth beat Limerick. It's hard to see a case for them staying up

imtommygunn

Maybe. They troubled Derry and near beat Clare. Them and Meath will be interesting - even Cork.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2023, 11:09:51 AM
Maybe. They troubled Derry and near beat Clare. Them and Meath will be interesting - even Cork.
They were promoted. There is a big difference between D3 and midway in D2 .
Meath and Cork are not the finished article but they should be able to beat Louth.

imtommygunn

As you'll see next year when Cavan and probably westmeath come up there isn't always that big a difference. Mid to bottom table division 2 isn't always that fantastic and isn't here either.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2023, 11:38:12 AM
As you'll see next year when Cavan and probably westmeath come up there isn't always that big a difference. Mid to bottom table division 2 isn't always that fantastic and isn't here either.
I think Clare are the archetypal D2 team. They are like the D2 version of Monaghan. And they can grind out wins.
Louth might need a few more iterations.
Cavan probably are a D2 team anyway. I am not sure that Louth are.

tbrick18

Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 07:36:45 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on February 20, 2023, 07:32:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 20, 2023, 06:42:11 PM
Dublin are playing at Division 2 standard.
Meath lost to Derry. Can anyone other than Dublin beat them?
Is promotion a foregone conclusion?

Would it be Derry Arrogance , do you think , to say that Derry could lose any of theirfour remaining games.
Kildare must surely pull out one great game in this competition especially as they creep closer to the void. Dublin are improving game on game, Cork are also improving each week and Clare awill be looking forward to a reckoning .
So if you don't think this is Derry arrogance I would say Derry are not unbeatable,  unless the 4 remaining managers want to bring the same level of Naivety to the game as Colm O'Rourke did.
Derry were sloppy, if not arrogant, last year with their approach to the last 2 matches against Connacht teams, especially Roscommon. 
I don't see any sign of that this year. Cork versus Derry should be interesting,

That's harsh.
In the Roscommon game in particular Shane McGuigan was incorrectly sent off, we had a last minute free that he would have likely converted to have given derry the win. Whilst I'm sure we made mistakes, there was an error in officialdom that ultimately cost us that game.
As for Galway, a real bogey team for derry for years. Beat us well, twice. Is that sloppy or is it getting beat by a side who ultimately are better?

We do seem to have moved on another level this year. Our attack play seems to have evolved, but until the Meath game we really stuttered.

In terms of promotion chances, I'd say we are in with a better chance than Louth, Clare, Limerick and Meath. After that, we could get beat by anyone. I'm hoping we can beat Kildare and Cork, I think we are better than both but like any game it needs to happen on the day.
Dublin are improving week on week and I'm really looking forward to that game. It's a free shot for Derry, get beat and we still have a decent chance of promotion given that Dublin will beat everyone else. If we happen to win, promotion would be very much there for the taking.

tbrick18

Quote from: seafoid on February 21, 2023, 12:06:40 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2023, 11:38:12 AM
I think Clare are the archetypal D2 team. They are like the D2 version of Monaghan. And they can grind out wins.
Louth might need a few more iterations.
Cavan probably are a D2 team anyway. I am not sure that Louth are.

Clare are a good side. Have been top half of D2 for a long time, just seem a little bit short to challenge for promotion. Still, they could beat anyone in the division (well maybe apart from Dublin).

Blowitupref

Dublin 0-8 Clare 1-8 at half time. Could the one person on the predictions Competition be right?  Heartbreak for Clare for the 2nd weekend in a row. 0-16 to 1-12
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

screenexile

Unreal last I saw Clare were 6 up!

rodney trotter

Late point from Costello won it for Dublin. 16pts to 1-12