Greatest player never to win an all Ireland

Started by seafoid, January 10, 2023, 12:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Mayo were good enough to a extent. They had 13 players capable of winning an all Ireland, they lacked a few to give extra support to Moran, O'Connor up front. If one of Michael Murphy, Conor McManus, etc had been playing for Mayo they won a couple of those all-Irelands.

seafoid

"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." - Thomas Sowell.

What is the truth about Mayo ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 14, 2023, 03:43:20 PM
Mayo were good enough to a extent. They had 13 players capable of winnjbg a all Ireland, they lacked a few to give extra support to Moran, O'Connor up front. If one of Michael Murphy, Conor McManus, etc had been playing for Mayo they won a couple of those all-Irelands.

They were good enough to stay with Dublin, something other teams of that era struggled with. When the game was there to be closed out, Dublin had the bench to do it. At no stage in the 2013-20 did Mayo hold a decent lead going into the last 5 minutes of the game where Dublin had to chase the game.

Wildweasel74

The one game I thought they were hard done by was a game where it was near over, draw I think at the time, where Small committed a fairly obvious free, in scoring distance, and the ref ignored it.

OrchardOrange

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 14, 2023, 05:08:07 PM
The one game I thought they were hard done by was a game where it was near over, draw I think at the time, where Small committed a fairly obvious free, in scoring distance, and the ref ignored it.

Sadly too many refs got free holidays off the back of Dublin wins. 

seafoid

2014 was a very hard to loss to take, I imagine.

magpie seanie

Quote from: OrchardOrange on January 14, 2023, 09:11:07 PM

Can you name them and where they went to?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2023, 02:04:46 PM
Quote from: OrchardOrange on January 14, 2023, 09:11:07 PM

Can you name them and where they went to?

:D

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on January 14, 2023, 04:04:57 PM
"When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." - Thomas Sowell.

They'll never win it. They're a loser county, with a loser mentality. They grow up watching losers, playing with losers and they become losers. A county that has supposedly produced some of the greatest players ever* and they never won it. They have been to alter umpteen times and ended up bottling it. That is the cold hard facts Mayo unfortunately. I wish them well.

*Citation needed

blanketattack

I thought the 2015 semi-final was indicative of that Mayo team.
They did brilliantly to come from 7 points down to draw level with Dublin, then Diarmuid Connolly got a red card and Alan Brogan got injured so it was 15 v 13 with a few minutes left. Instead of using their 2 extra men to go hell-bent on getting the winning scores, they held back, content that they had come from 7 points down to draw level. They had too much respect for Dublin, why would any team be happy to take a draw against a team down two players?
It was the same in many other games, where in the 4th quarter they often did well to come back into games or draw level, but never having that edge to really go for it once level late in the game.
The exception being the 2021 semi-final, but then fading badly in the final where the real difference between the team for most of the game was the taking of goal chances, but then Mayo deflated in the final stretch.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on January 18, 2023, 03:28:48 PM

They'll never win it. They're a loser county, with a loser mentality. They grow up watching losers, playing with losers and they become losers. A county that has supposedly produced some of the greatest players ever* and they never won it. They have been to alter umpteen times and ended up bottling it. That is the cold hard facts Mayo unfortunately. I wish them well.

*Citation needed
They have 3 all Irelands, all won before Tyrone won anything I think

If Tyrone could drop the mantle of perennial chokers so can Mayo.

From the Bunker

Quote from: blanketattack on January 18, 2023, 03:52:05 PM
I thought the 2015 semi-final was indicative of that Mayo team.
They did brilliantly to come from 7 points down to draw level with Dublin, then Diarmuid Connolly got a red card and Alan Brogan got injured so it was 15 v 13 with a few minutes left. Instead of using their 2 extra men to go hell-bent on getting the winning scores, they held back, content that they had come from 7 points down to draw level. They had too much respect for Dublin, why would any team be happy to take a draw against a team down two players?
It was the same in many other games, where in the 4th quarter they often did well to come back into games or draw level, but never having that edge to really go for it once level late in the game.
The exception being the 2021 semi-final, but then fading badly in the final where the real difference between the team for most of the game was the taking of goal chances, but then Mayo deflated in the final stretch.

You do know that the ball was in play for ABOUT 30 SECONDS after Connolly and Brogan incidents before the referee blew the final whistle?

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2023, 07:59:47 PM

*Citation needed

Black n White All Irelands.

JoG2

Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2023, 11:51:50 AM

*Citation needed

With no backdoor safety net

trailer

Quote from: JoG2 on January 19, 2023, 12:12:59 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2023, 11:51:50 AM

*Citation needed

With no backdoor safety net

Suits the weaker teams straight knock outs. Mayo probably wouldn't have any AI if there was a back door.