13.   Peter McGinnity
14.   Tony McManus
15.   Dessie Dolan
16.   Harry Keegan
17.   Liam McHale
18.   Keith Higgins
19.   Noel Roche
20.   Paul Barden
Though I'd have the likes of Benny Coulter, Barry Owens, Paddy Bradley, Enda Muldoon, Sean Lockhart before a good few men on that list.

Breheny is taking the piss himself me thinks.

Newbridge Exile

Eugene McKenna would very near the top of my list

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on January 11, 2023, 10:26:36 AM
Brehany has a list.
Dermot number 1 (should be Gerry O'Malley )

Gerry O'Malley fine dual player in his day.

Manning18

Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2023, 01:01:55 PM
Quote from: LC on January 11, 2023, 12:00:22 PM
Quote from: Estimator on January 11, 2023, 11:07:59 AM
Breheny's List:
1.   Dermot Early
2.   Lee Keegan
3.   Mickey Kearins
4.   Nudie Hughes
5.   Glenn Ryan
6.   Kevin O'Brien
7.   Eugene McKenna
8.   Declan Browne
9.   Joe Kernan
10.   Mattie Forde
11.   John Galvin
12.   Paddy Moriarty
13.   Peter McGinnity
14.   Tony McManus
15.   Dessie Dolan
16.   Harry Keegan
17.   Liam McHale
18.   Keith Higgins
19.   Noel Roche
20.   Paul Barden
Though I'd have the likes of Benny Coulter, Barry Owens, Paddy Bradley, Enda Muldoon, Sean Lockhart before a good few men on that list.

Surely Ciaran MacDonald should be on this list.
Ciaran Mcdonald was the Serge Blanco of Gaelic Football. He was always thinking a few steps ahead. He wouldn't be at home on  Brehony list

Retirement and highlight reels have been kind to MacDonald. He won one solitary all star despite reaching 3 finals. Alan Dillon won two for example, as did James Horan. Zero intercounty championship motm awards I've been realiably informed by a mayo stats nerd.

Putting him in the "greatest to never win" conversation alongside Keegan or Higgins does an injustice to those two. Never mind Dermot Earley snr or Declan Browne

Armagh18

Quote from: Manning18 on January 11, 2023, 05:10:01 PM
Breheny's List:
1.   Dermot Early
2.   Lee Keegan
3.   Mickey Kearins
4.   Nudie Hughes
5.   Glenn Ryan
6.   Kevin O'Brien
7.   Eugene McKenna
8.   Declan Browne
9.   Joe Kernan
10.   Mattie Forde
11.   John Galvin
12.   Paddy Moriarty
13.   Peter McGinnity
14.   Tony McManus
15.   Dessie Dolan
16.   Harry Keegan
17.   Liam McHale
18.   Keith Higgins
19.   Noel Roche
20.   Paul Barden

Ciaran Mcdonald was the Serge Blanco of Gaelic Football. He was always thinking a few steps ahead. He wouldn't be at home on  Brehony list

Retirement and highlight reels have been kind to MacDonald. He won one solitary all star despite reaching 3 finals. Alan Dillon won two for example, as did James Horan. Zero intercounty championship motm awards I've been realiably informed by a mayo stats nerd.

Putting him in the "greatest to never win" conversation alongside Keegan or Higgins does an injustice to those two. Never mind Dermot Earley snr or Declan Browne
He was a joy to watch. The Ronaldinho of GAA.

Manning18

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 11, 2023, 05:14:18 PM
Breheny's List:
1.   Dermot Early
2.   Lee Keegan
3.   Mickey Kearins
4.   Nudie Hughes
5.   Glenn Ryan
6.   Kevin O'Brien
7.   Eugene McKenna
8.   Declan Browne
9.   Joe Kernan
10.   Mattie Forde
11.   John Galvin
12.   Paddy Moriarty
13.   Peter McGinnity
14.   Tony McManus
15.   Dessie Dolan
16.   Harry Keegan
17.   Liam McHale
18.   Keith Higgins
19.   Noel Roche
20.   Paul Barden

You can be superbly skillful and a joy to watch and not be overall that effective. Your own Jamie Clarke has done things with a ball ive never seen anybody else do but you wouldn't in your right mind have him down as a better player than Stevey mcdonald or McConville.

Dillon was more effective for Mayo. Keegan was 3 times more effective than both. I don't think you can include any of them in the conversation with Keegan for this specific title

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 11, 2023, 05:14:18 PM
Breheny's List:
1.   Dermot Early
2.   Lee Keegan
3.   Mickey Kearins
4.   Nudie Hughes
5.   Glenn Ryan
6.   Kevin O'Brien
7.   Eugene McKenna
8.   Declan Browne
9.   Joe Kernan
10.   Mattie Forde
11.   John Galvin
12.   Paddy Moriarty
13.   Peter McGinnity
14.   Tony McManus
15.   Dessie Dolan
16.   Harry Keegan
17.   Liam McHale
18.   Keith Higgins
19.   Noel Roche
20.   Paul Barden

Maverick footballer, his passing range and accuracy to pin point a pass on the outside of his boot was as good as I've seen from any player over the last few decades.

seafoid

Greatest not to is strange. Losing usually means not good enough. It also means not doing the iterations.  Losing teams tend to break up faster

Most players good enough win the All Ireland. You need to get to a certain level to do so. Usually teams with the right level win eventually. Meath as a traditional winner wouldn't have anyone of note for the last decade. They will when they have their next good team.

The 2 teams that reached the level over several seasons while not winning anything were Mayo and Waterford. Sometimes teams who meet all the criteria but come up.against exceptional teams racking up titles.

And then there are the exceptional players on mediocre teams. The pool of glorious losers is small.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Breheny's List:
1.   Dermot Early
2.   Lee Keegan
3.   Mickey Kearins
4.   Nudie Hughes
5.   Glenn Ryan
6.   Kevin O'Brien
7.   Eugene McKenna
8.   Declan Browne
9.   Joe Kernan
10.   Mattie Forde
11.   John Galvin
12.   Paddy Moriarty
13.   Peter McGinnity
14.   Tony McManus
15.   Dessie Dolan
16.   Harry Keegan
17.   Liam McHale
18.   Keith Higgins
19.   Noel Roche
20.   Paul Barden

This list is confined to the past 50 years I think. From a Galway POV, no TJ Gilmore, Val Daly or Michael Meehan to say the least. Ciaran MacDonald too. Dessie Dolan shouldn't be near that list, plenty of better others that were also unsuccessful.

Wildweasel74

To be honest Enda Muldoon and Paddy Bradley are better than a few On that list

Wildweasel74

Gold

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 11, 2023, 09:43:31 PM
To be honest Enda Muldoon and Paddy Bradley are better than a few On that list

Absolutely

Andy Moran and Conor McManus too
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

thewobbler

To be honest I reckon Mayo of 2016, no AI winners among them, would take the best of the rest in a match.

Wildweasel74

Ain't got the forwards, hence why they didn't win a couple in the first place